Savannakhet Non O Spouse Visa Experience 2024

Are you saying a foreign account can't be used for the funds? That's not what I've heard. While I do hold 2 Thai bank accounts, I don't have any intention of transferring the funds over to either of them. I intend to show the funds in my overseas savings account, which so far, I've been led to believe is no issue. Simply has to be over 400,000 Baht equivalent. 

Just now, Highlandman said:

Are you saying a foreign account can't be used for the funds? That's not what I've heard. While I do hold 2 Thai bank accounts, I don't have any intention of transferring the funds over to either of them. I intend to show the funds in my overseas savings account, which so far, I've been led to believe is no issue. Simply has to be over 400,000 Baht equivalent. 

Apparently not, its been this way for a few months now.

9 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Maybe you haven't seen the  'discussion' I've been having on this thread?

15 hours ago, ScottOzThai said:

The Siam Bank, that I went to first to try and open an account, refused me on the basis that my visa was only valid for three months. Thankfully, the Krungsri Bank, in contrast, couldn't have been more helpful.

Just proves they make up the rules, doesn't it. Another branch of Siam might well have opened an account. I have no idea why your length of stay in the country has anything to do with having an account. Thais seem to get a hard-on making up rules for no reason at all, just to complicate things and be difficult. I used to have accounts in New York and Melbourne as a convenience for receiving my earnings there, even though I spent only weeks in each location.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just proves they make up the rules, doesn't it. Another branch of Siam might well have opened an account. I have no idea why your length of stay in the country has anything to do with having an account. Thais seem to get a hard-on making up rules for no reason at all, just to complicate things and be difficult. I used to have accounts in New York and Melbourne as a convenience for receiving my earnings there, even though I spent only weeks in each location.

It has been this way for a while now. KTB has a print out that they provide foreigners on how to open an account. Very strict in inforcing them. Kasikorn opened an account for me. A few others I tried would not. This was in Nong Khai.

I'm confused, they now also require money proof for non-o visa in Savannakhet? That was like one of the few places left where it was not needed? Or is this only for the multi entry one and not single ones? In Hanoi they also require it but it would just be a print out statement, I don't even know if that has now changed again as well, that would be very miserable as most would come without it.

It defeats the entire purpose of this visa as well, the entire benefit of this visa is that you do not need the money, as you might as well be someone who comes and goes 3 months on and off. Also just generally speaking, many, also at younger ages, might not have this money together yet. This does not change they do have a wife or even children. 

Just really lost their mind.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:40 PM, ScottOzThai said:

had got four or five of these visas in Savannakhet before

Why do some people go back for a new visa each year as opposed to extending the existing one in Thailand? Can't this one be extended at a local office for another year? Also, is the Kor Ror 22 interchangeable with the Kor Ror 2 as far as how they are used? Thanks!

Edited by ubonrthai

2 hours ago, ubonrthai said:

Still curious about this if someone can help. Much appreciated.

In the past they did not require any money in a Thai bank which was convenient if you did not want to keep 400,000 baht in a Thai bank. It is hard to ascertain but their requirements are still a bit easier than in Thailand. Usually you must have the money in the bank for a period of time but Savannakhet does not seem to enforce this as far as anyone can tell. Also instead of dealing with Thai Immigration- family visits, photos of home, map of home etc- you can just exit and re-enter, suitable if you do not live in Thailand  permanently. I think a kor ror 22 is similar but issued if you have married abroad. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

On 4/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, ubonrthai said:

Why do some people go back for a new visa each year as opposed to extending the existing one in Thailand? Can't this one be extended at a local office for another year? Also, is the Kor Ror 22 interchangeable with the Kor Ror 2 as far as how they are used? Thanks!

That's a NO to extend at local Thai Immigration office.

I personally follow the Savanakhet route - with 400K I can invest that amount and make multiples more than approx 1% in a 'risky' ( IMHO )   Thai Bank for 1 year!