Russian couple’s dine and dash attempt exposed in Phuket restaurant

webfact

How many times have they pulled that trick? They need to be reported it will help other places and make sure the waitress checks before she leaves the table, He knew what he was doing, 

• Like 2

I wonder how many newspapers and messageboards we could fill if we reported in the UK every time somebody left a restaurant without paying?

Even going so far as to include video stills as evidence of the misdeed.

A public flogging is warranted for such a heinous crime.

• Like 1

I helped a Thai restaurant owner in similar case about an year ago, they needed a bit of video processing of the CCTV footage. An European looking lady skillfully put a 100 baht banknote below a 1000 baht one, and then claimed she gave 2000 and blamed the waitress.

The owner told her to come the next day to get refund after they review the CCTV footage. She never came.... probably on the way out she saw there was a camera right above her table.

It was very skillful and quick banknote placement, I had to split the footage in frames to notice the different banknote colour.

Edited by gearbox
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

That's always been the case. Low class destination.

I'm driving almost every day in Samui, there always a steady flow of tattooed, shirtless, no helmet scum around me, trying to break the road rules in every possible way. I feel that I'm living in Thai version of Mt Druitt or Blacktown.

So a person shirtless in 40C is scum to you?

All people with tattoos are scum and so are people who ride bikes without a crash helmet.

It must be difficult living up to your standards of perfection when everything is rosy in the garden, and we all pop around next door to share our parsnips with the neighbours.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ronster said:

Can't believe the restaurant done nothing and let them go with an apology and payment. 

Obviously doesn't want the word to get around what happened as they think it will scare their other russian customers away .

Money wins !! 🙈

And how do you think they should be dealt with?

They were informed they were in the wrong and therefore returned and paid the bill.

Also, before we all gather for the stoning, we haven't heard the flip side of the argument, or aren't you interested?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3

Just now, renaissanc said:

I think that the restaurant should have reported the couple because of the dire potential consequences for the Waitress. Also, I doubt if this was the first time they had cheated a shop or restaurant.

Yep,

What time's the stoning?

I want to make sure I have some good rocks.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

That's always been the case. Low class destination.

I'm driving almost every day in Samui, there always a steady flow of tattooed, shirtless, no helmet scum around me, trying to break the road rules in every possible way. I feel that I'm living in Thai version of Mt Druitt or Blacktown.

It's sorry to see the way Thailand has gone down. It always attracted  low lifes but these days they seem in epidemic proportions

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A shameless cheating Russian couple insisted they had settled their bill at a Phuket restaurant after being accused of attempting to dine and dash. They later falsely incriminated a Thai waitress of theft but their deception was exposed by CCTV footage, forcing them to apologise and settle the bill.

The restaurant shared security footage of the incident on a Facebook group for local food stores in Phuket to issue a warning about the Russian couple’s dine-and-dash.

In the video, the Russian man was seen placing a banknote in a bill folder but then later removed it. The Russian man looked around to see if anyone noticed his action. He then asked the waitress to pick up the empty bill folder, pretending he already paid.

The waitress, Santanee, who served the foreigners that day, told Channel 3 that the couple dined at the restaurant on Saturday, March 30. Santanee said the cashier could not find the money in the folder and asked her to check with the foreign couple.

According to Santanee, the couple insisted they had already paid the bill, and the banknote might have slipped out of the folder. Santanee helped them look for the money but did not find it anywhere.

The couple became angry at the cashier counter and tried to blame Santanee for stealing the money. The Russian customers maintained their innocence and dared the restaurant to check the security camera.

Clear evidence

Unfortunately, the CCTV cameras at the restaurant were old models and required a technician to obtain the video file. So, the restaurant owner had to let the foreigners go but asked for their contacts.

After reviewing the security camera footage, it was clear that the accused couple did not pay for their meal. So, the owner sent the video to the couple and summoned them to pay the bill.

The foreigners agreed to pay and apologised for their actions. They said they did not expect there to be a CCTV camera at that angle. The owner recorded the video of them apologising but did not take legal action against them.

Santanee revealed she was disappointed by the Russian couple’s behaviour in an interview with Channel 3.

“I felt offended when they blamed me for theft. They looked down on Thai people. We provide whatever they want and do our best to fulfill their requests but it does not mean that Thais are their slaves. I almost cried at that time and was trembling. I would like to warn all waitresses and waiters to be aware of these kinds of foreign customers.”

Thai netizens voiced their opinions on the matter.

“The free visa has many problems. It only focuses on quantity, not quality. Thailand used to have a lot of good foreign tourists. I feel sorry for the country.”

“The prime minister is proud of it.”

“Good foreign tourists go to our neighbouring countries instead.”

“I faced the same situation. I took the foreigners to the police station but the police did nothing and let them go. They sided with the foreigners. I am tired of this.”

“Free visa, free trip, free food!”

“Foreigners know that Thai law is not that serious. Apologise and everything will be fine.”

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via ThaiRath

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-01

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

Finally throw this pack out. Behave like cave dwellers...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

And how do you think they should be dealt with?

They were informed they were in the wrong and therefore returned and paid the bill.

Also, before we all gather for the stoning, we haven't heard the flip side of the argument, or aren't you interested?

Where's the fun in that? "Asean Now" members have made their decision. It's only the punishment needs to be decided on 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

It's sorry to see the way Thailand has gone down. It always attracted  low lifes but these days they seem in epidemic proportions

Don't exaggerate 

I think a lot of the younger Russians (draft dodgers) are running out of money.

Staying away from Russia being a life and death issue and no money is going to result in desperation and consequently serious crime.

The authorities need to get to grips with this, perhaps some form of means testing.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Mcdonalds demand you pay in advance .

Perhaps the company were protecting themselves from Russian customers.

So do Cafe Amazon, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and all the other outlets of that nature..... usually.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Many of the fast food joints you have to pay upfront, This nonsense is going on more than we know, 

A lot of Thai restaurants asked me for payment up front. 

But they forego all the profit from upselling high margin desserts and coffees, which keeps a lot of restaurants in business.  I'm more likely to buy dessert and coffees on an open tab.  On a closed tab, I'm more likely to go down the street for ice cream or coffee.

And you know what... Nothing will happen to them, and they will be let off to perpetrate more crimes... When will Thailand ever learn. Theft, burglary, larceny... just as bad as assault, and should all be automatically deportable offenses.