Thai man’s arm severed outside liquor store after smoking dispute

webfact

This is an extreme result of the social hierarchical system when there is disagreement on who is the superior player.  

When the two parties, after a dispute disagree on who is superior in the pecking order, one side can go off the deepend to proove his superiority.  This is the unfortunate result.  The machete weilding thug had to proove his superiority by chopping off the inferior's arm.

Inferiors are not allowed to dictate anything to a superior.  Even where they can or can't have a smoke.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, the smoker lost face. That's enough. The savagery in this country is totally off the scales. You can be maimed or killed over nothing at all, and they are not isolated incidents. These things happen almost on a daily basis.

Which is a wild concept. I think the fear of losing face is perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have. It is a pathological fear. Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches the need for introspection, contemplation, owning up to a problem, and taking responsibility for issues, problems and tragedies that you create in life.

As many of us know, a percentage of the Thai population lives within fairly small boxes, of social convention, traditions and expectations, especially on the part of the family. That is not a life that some of us choose. Those that are bold and courageous, will find a way to break past conventions, and live a fulfilling life, based on their own choices, independence, and esteem.

1 hour ago, ross163103 said:

This kind of thing is sickening to me, lots of students use machetes to fight also. I think the penalty for this should be harsh.

Once again, about the victim complaining of smoking, he should've just not complained and kept his head under the radar, pop your head up and bad things can happen. Admittedly he shouldn't have lost an arm over such a small issue but you never know how mental people can be.

Though you are likely right, it was his store that these punks were hanging out in front of, loitering, smoking, and carrying on, so he certainly had every right to ask them politely If they could move on or stop smoking.

I guess there was no way for him to know that they were juvenile pathological maniacs that he was talking to. Lock them up. They belong in a cage. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I remember the case of a police officer severing a girls arm with a knife at a Karaoke bar.
So, it is possible to severe an arm with a knife.

Yes, don't forget some of the actions of terrorists in the Middle East!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who cares what people think of you?

I agree. And yet look at the trouble that abuse on social media generates. People sometimes suffer mental health problems and in extreme cases kill themselves over it. After they have given total strangers their contact info. Would we give out our phone number to those we don't know and trust? No. Yet millions do give out such personal information and then get upset when nutters contact them. Any person in the spotlight deserves all they get for their naivety. Those with half a brain use a name that no-one could guess was them and give that to only those they trust, not the whole world.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism

As is the Thai version of Buddhism.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

This is an extreme result of the social hierarchical system when there is disagreement on who is the superior player.  

When the two parties, after a dispute disagree on who is superior in the pecking order, one side can go off the deepend to proove his superiority.  This is the unfortunate result.  The machete weilding thug had to proove his superiority by chopping off the inferior's arm.

Inferiors are not allowed to dictate anything to a superior.  Even where they can or can't have a smoke.

And this was a perfect example of why you should never, ever, for any reason get into an argument with a Thai. They are liable to kill you over the smallest thing - such as asking you to not smoke in a particular area. 

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And this was a perfect example of why you should never, ever, for any reason get into an argument with a Thai. They are liable to kill you over the smallest thing - such as asking you to not smoke in a particular area. 

Yet in this case it appears to be a German liable to kill you over being asked not to smoke in another person's vehicle!

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yet in this case it appears to be a German liable to kill you over being asked not to smoke in another person's vehicle!

You think the German/Austrian would have killed the driver?

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

You think the German/Austrian would have killed the driver?

I don't believe the Thai driver killed the German/Austrian either. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't believe the Thai driver killed the German/Austrian either. 

If you read the comment that I commented on, you will see that it referred to the machete wielding thug, not the taxi driver/German-Austrian.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you read the comment that I commented on, you will see that it referred to the machete wielding thug, not the taxi driver/German-Austrian.

And if you see mine I specified in this case..... one less smoker no great loss!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree. And yet look at the trouble that abuse on social media generates. People sometimes suffer mental health problems and in extreme cases kill themselves over it. After they have given total strangers their contact info. Would we give out our phone number to those we don't know and trust? No. Yet millions do give out such personal information and then get upset when nutters contact them. Any person in the spotlight deserves all they get for their naivety. Those with half a brain use a name that no-one could guess was them and give that to only those they trust, not the whole world.

As is the Thai version of Buddhism.

Well the big question is whether or not Terravada Buddhism is an oddball form of Buddhism, or whether or not there's anyone in Thailand that's actually practicing it. 

On 4/3/2024 at 7:32 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, the smoker lost face. That's enough. The savagery in this country is totally off the scales. You can be maimed or killed over nothing at all, and they are not isolated incidents. These things happen almost on a daily basis.

And violence is just the tip of the iceberge.

They are beneath contempt. 

On 4/2/2024 at 4:02 PM, ukrules said:

This is not the first time someone has had their arm cut off in a dispute in Thailand, I do recall this happening before but strangely when I went to the internet to look for the story it was no longer there.

And this one will be 'gone' soon enough too - bad for toursim 🙂

• Like 1