Kitchen Waste Sealant......

YorkshireTyke

I had to change a tap in a very tight space on my kitchen sink and had to remove part of the waste pipes.

Where the waste pipe was pushed into the outlet pipe to take the water away it had some sort of brown rubbery sealant around it. I had to remove this to complete the task and now reassembled it leaks from this 'joint'. 

What can I use to reseal this 'joint' please. (obviously its not a joint with a thread, just one pipe pushed into another.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

If the water flows in the right direction freely then there doesn't have to be a leak. 

doesn't have to be a seal?

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

doesn't have to be a seal?

I am not a plumber so the following is only my personal experience.

I prepared the drain from my bathroom sink, I think it is a 1" pipe. I thought first I look if it fits, and I put the pipe inside another pipe in the wall without seal. My plan was to test it first and then seal it later. I made sure there is a slope. Then I opened the water and the water flowed freely through the drain without any water coming out.

I kept it like that without any seal and it works fine - since months. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 9:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

A possible issue is that there is no slope in that pipe.

If the water flows in the right direction freely then there doesn't have to be a leak. 

You then may get air back-flush, stink.........You may also get water back-flush if the air being pushed forward has a problem, and don't forget the creepy-crawlies.

All these joints just need a wipe of silicone, don't use that other non-silicone stuff..😕 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, transam said:

You then may get air back-flush, stink.........You may also get water back-flush if the air being pushed forward has a problem, and don't forget the creepy-crawlies.

All these joints just need a wipe of silicone, don't use that other non-silicone stuff..😕 

And if there are proper vinting pipes then there is no problem with stink.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7MnX4unnhA0Y0wwz61Yr

On 4/5/2024 at 9:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw a couple of YouTube videos and it seems professional plumbers recommend this one:

Rectorseal T Plus 2

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i520100512-s924466415.html

I bought it and used it and it does the job. But I am not a plumber and have no long term experience with any sealant. 

That looks like a thread seal, not a silicone type that is needed in this case.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, YorkshireTyke said:

(obviously its not a joint with a thread, just one pipe pushed into another.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

And if there are proper vinting pipes then there is no problem with stink.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7MnX4unnhA0Y0wwz61Yr

"If", and "if" a snag somewhere.........😝

You use a silicone sealant on all waste joints, unless you're not bothered about smell, bacteria, even gray water leakage.........😉

The toilet uses a different route regarding waste water and breathing.........🤗

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Then I opened the water and the water flowed freely through the drain without any water coming out.

Good when the water is flowing in the correct direction but if it backs up and stops flowing, that is when the unsealed joints leak and leak and leak.  Backup can be caused by somebody else's malfunction, not just yours.  But unlikely so cary on unsealed, right?

25 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Good when the water is flowing in the correct direction but if it backs up and stops flowing, that is when the unsealed joints leak and leak and leak.  Backup can be caused by somebody else's malfunction, not just yours.  But unlikely so cary on unsealed, right?

Let's say it like this: It's unsealed now since about two months, and I use it multiple times a day. No leak, no smell, that's why I didn't "fix" it.

It's in my own home and my gf and I am the only people who use it. So I don't have to worry about something happening and I don't know about it.

I wrote about this here mostly to let others know that it can work without seal. And the key part for that is that there is continuous slope and free pipes so that the water flows unrestricted. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's say it like this: It's unsealed now since about two months, and I use it multiple times a day. No leak, no smell, that's why I didn't "fix" it.

It's in my own home and my gf and I am the only people who use it. So I don't have to worry about something happening and I don't know about it.

I wrote about this here mostly to let others know that it can work without seal. And the key part for that is that there is continuous slope and free pipes so that the water flows unrestricted. 

I think the key part is the word can.  Enjoy OMF.

• Like 1