Interesting and/or cheap bars in Bangkok

saintdomingo

17 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Chequers, Sukhumvit Soi 4. Proper British pub (although quite a few yanks and global nationalities visit). Always decent conversation. Happy Hour until 7pm. Tiger draught pint at 100 Baht (other deals too). Nice service staff. Food good too. Major sports events screened also. Sit at the front for interesting people watching as the soi comes to life as the sun sets.

If I remember correctly, the owner's name back in the day was Woody. Was well-off from starting a DIY company in the UK. Others with a better memory may correct me if I've gotten this wrong.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 12:12 PM, saintdomingo said:

New Cowboy Bar. lower down Soi 22. Cracking little bar if a bit lacking in punters, draught Tiger is cheap enough small bottles normal bkk price 120.

I think this is the one that had car license plates on the walls and was owned by a Norwegian and later run or owned by his wife. Been a long time, though.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think this is the one that had car license plates on the walls and was owned by a Norwegian and later run or owned by his wife. Been a long time, though.

I remember it being there 18 years ago when I lived off Soi 22, and someone had said that it had been there for a very long time before that.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

There are lots of 'gaps' in lower Sukhumvit nowadays where bars used to be, sadly missed.

The Beer Garden (Soi 7).

One of the first establishments I came across in Bangkok.  More than forty years ago now. How time flies!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

I remember it being there 18 years ago when I lived off Soi 22, and someone had said that it had been there for a very long time before that.

I'm sure it goes back at least to the 1980s. It had been there for a number of years when I first found it in the early 1990s.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Jools was fun when run by Kim and later by Big Dave. Lots of character (and characters)!

You would probably remember when Kim ran the kitchen at the White Rabbit, the restaurant downstairs from Woodstock in the old Nana Plaza. From there to Jools. 

Edited by marin

2 minutes ago, marin said:

You would probably remember when Kim ran the kitchen at Woodstock. Downstairs restaurant and upstairs the bar and gogo. Old good Nana Plaza.

Yes.

Nana was a much different place back then, but so was Bangkok for that matter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

If I remember correctly, the owner's name back in the day was Woody. Was well-off from starting a DIY company in the UK. Others with a better memory may correct me if I've gotten this wrong.

The story was that it was started by four who were tired of being unable to physically get into Jools between 5 and 8. They opened Chequers and over time one bought the other three out. Never knew any names, I remember Peter who was manager when I first arrived and who recently appears  occasionally.

3 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

The story was that it was started by four who were tired of being unable to physically get into Jools between 5 and 8. They opened Chequers and over time one bought the other three out. Never knew any names, I remember Peter who was manager when I first arrived and who recently appears  occasionally.

Is that Peter that ran the Old Dutch? White haired Brit guy.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Not sure about the licence plates but it was definitely owned by a Norwegian.

They told me he sold it 3 years ago and went back to Norway. Now owned by a Thai who thankfully  hasn't changed anything and they still seem to be keen darts players.

Edited by saintdomingo

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Is that Peter that ran the Old Dutch? White haired Brit guy.

Yes always looked like wotsisname off the Old Grey Whistle Test.

Edit, er hang on he ran the big place on Soi 23 when it first opened. Not sure about the Old Dutch.

Edited by saintdomingo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, marin said:

You would probably remember when Kim ran the kitchen at the White Rabbit, the restaurant downstairs from Woodstock in the old Nana Plaza. From there to Jools. 

Woodstock, thank you, I have been racking my brain for the name of that place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don't like sitting inside. For me, an interesting Bangkok Bar needs to have a patio or outdoor seating area.

Jim I mentioned you ref the Bus Stop bar in Soi 4, not inferring that you are cheap but because it's a big open place. Been there 20+ years.

2 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

I think you're correct. Woody may have been the one that bought out the others, but I'm not sure. I do remember Peter, but I didn't frequent Chequers that much.

15 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think you're correct. Woody may have been the one that bought out the others, but I'm not sure. I do remember Peter, but I didn't frequent Chequers that much.

Me neither, I was mainly Jools and the Bus Stop. Nowt wrong with Chequers but it didn't grab me the way Jools did.

I remember Stan being described as last man standing (of the earlier days regulars) till the cancer did for him.

10 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

Me neither, I was mainly Jools and the Bus Stop. Nowt wrong with Chequers but it didn't grab me the way Jools did.

I remember Stan being described as last man standing (of the earlier days regulars) till the cancer did for him.

I remember Stan. Also Crazy Jeff....  Really a bunch of characters there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yagoda said:

First tiem I met Stickman was there

I was last there 20+ years ago, I've long since stopped visiting the Plaza, just drinking in Soi Nana, Stumble Inn etc.

On 4/5/2024 at 1:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are a lot of these places for cheap Charlies. 

I have no reservations whatsoever to call myself a cheap charlie when it comes to getting a beer in a pub... 

The Old English Happy hour is rather excellent IMO....   

9 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Unfortunately, using the word "cheap" on this forum is a mistake that invites unhelpful comments.

Indeed - point in hand above....  OMF usually doesn't gauge the temperature so poorly in his comments...

9 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think the Cheap Charllie's Bar in Soi 50 is the reincarnation of the one that was in Sukhumvit Soi 11 for decades. Was lots of fun back in the day. Need to check out the new location.

Its great if you want a good burger (opposite - Easy Burger) and a couple of beers...  But, its doesn't have the same 'warm-up' vibe as the old place....   Its more of a 'destination' location now, where you go there, if you are going there, not passing through for one or two before getting led astray by friends.... 

I have no reservations whatsoever to call myself a cheap charlie when it comes to getting a beer in a pub... 

Unfortunately, using the word "cheap" on this forum is a mistake that invites unhelpful comments.

Indeed - point in hand above....  OMF usually doesn't gauge the temperature so poorly in his comments...

I think the Cheap Charllie's Bar in Soi 50 is the reincarnation of the one that was in Sukhumvit Soi 11 for decades. Was lots of fun back in the day. Need to check out the new location.

Its great if you want a good burger (opposite - Easy Burger) and a couple of beers...  But, its doesn't have the same 'warm-up' vibe as the old place....   Its more of a 'destination' location now, where you go there, if you are going there, not passing through for one or two before getting led astray by friends.... 

The old place (when Cheap Charlies was on Soi 11) used to make me chuckle... they'd have that plastic chain demarcating the area we had to stay within lest other bar / restaurant owners would get angry if we strayed outside and blocked the passage of potential (non-existent) customers... It must have been a lot of hassle keeping all owners of neighbouring but less busy places happy because of how busy your 'cheap-dive' bar is !!!...   

It had character and the decor has been transfered in an attempt to maintain that...     though, like every old timer, nothing is as good as it 'once was'...    Londoner and Burbon St. case in hand... 

• Like 1

The old place (when Cheap Charlies was on Soi 11) used to make me chuckle... they'd have that plastic chain demarcating the area we had to stay within lest other bar / restaurant owners would get angry if we strayed outside and blocked the passage of potential (non-existent) customers... It must have been a lot of hassle keeping all owners of neighbouring but less busy places happy because of how busy your 'cheap-dive' bar is !!!...   

It had character and the decor has been transfered in an attempt to maintain that...     though, like every old timer, nothing is as good as it 'once was'...    Londoner and Burbon St. case in hand... 

• Like 2

Er thanks again.

While you're on, ever been to Parrish and Jones on Sukhumvit closer to Phrom Pong than Thonglor.?

Bar, restaurant leather armchair look, also gentleman's tailors and up until recently gentleman's hairdresser.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:31 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yeah... actually it does... if the price is your determining factor for the places that you frequent... yeah.

So not being keen to pay those prices makes for a cheap Charlie.? News to me and probably everyone I know.

And I never said price was my determining factor, a couple of places I go to regularly do charge prices like that but it is worth it to me because I enjoy them. But then I am not there to do ten pints in.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:19 AM, Red Forever said:

O'Malleys in Silom Rd is my go to bar in Bangkok. A good range of beers, great food, prices range from 110 bt per pint of Tiger draught.

Live music 🎵 on Wednesdays.

Sukhumvit? Nah. Bin there, done 'em all.

You did forget to mention that 110 a pint of Tiger is happy hour price until 7 pm. After 7 it is 150. Not saying that is excessive or otherwise, I just like to get the full picture.

• Haha 2

Anyone tried Jack's Bar down by or rather on the river. I would guess it's well known on the tourist trail but also some Thais and expats, worth a call in if in the area.

As some here find it distasteful to mention money I won't mention that the ale is surprisingly priced quite low.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

They also moved The Dubliner, but it just wasn't the same as the original.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 5:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I liked Cheap Charlies on Soi 11 but have to admit I'm fond of the Soi 50 location too, it's a non hassle environment but if you're not a fan of cigarette smoke it can be a bit trying at times.