Interesting and/or cheap bars in Bangkok

saintdomingo

Myself  I am not keen on the Plastic Paddy or Sports bars that proliferate nowadays, nor the girlie bars where a succession of charming young ladies are keen to know my name and where I'm from.

So I am always keen to learn of other places that people might like to pass on.

A few to start, if anyone is interested.

A couple I've been in recently that I wasn't sure if they were still open

New Cowboy Bar. lower down Soi 22. Cracking little bar if a bit lacking in punters, draught Tiger is cheap enough small bottles normal bkk price 120.

Soi 26 opposite the Double Tree Hilton (they don't  display a name) does a "pint" of draught Chang for 100.

Black Swan Soi I9, decent place draught Heineken 130 all day, Tiger and Asahi same till 9 pm.

Can't talk about cheap without adding The Old English by Thonglor BTS and their Draught Leo deal.

Between 1pm - 3pm 45 a pint

Between 3pm - 5pm 65

Between 5pm - 7pm 85

After 7 is a different story

Buddy's bars at a few places along Sukhumvit, in Soi 22, nearby Soi 8 and Soi 20, does Guinness at 270 now still a relatively decent deal. And nice little boozers.

There are various others doing daytime and happy hour deals, please share what you know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are a lot of these places for cheap Charlies. 

Correct me if I have mixed you up with another but did’nt you complain about the 25Baht price of a cup of Tea a few years ago.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimjim1 said:

Correct me if I have mixed you up with another but did’nt you complain about the 25Baht price of a cup of Tea a few years ago.

I am sure I never complained about tea for 25B.

a) I drink not much tea.

b) If I drink it, I pay usually a lot more than 25B.

15 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

I don't see the point of your post, I was mentioning cheaper options for those who like drinking in bars and pubs.

Reluctance to pay 140 baht or more for a 320ml bottle of standard Thai beer, or 347 baht for a pint of Guinness does not make anyone a cheap Charlie.

Yeah... actually it does... if the price is your determining factor for the places that you frequent... yeah.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jimjim1 said:

My mistake and I apologise my memory is not so good now that I am a wrinkly, but whatever you pay for a good cup of tea has got to be worth it has’nt it.

Surely just because someone chooses not to follow the crowd and not be a bar hound does not make him a cheap Charlie whatever price he pays for his tipple, it simply means that the places he frequents have a pricing structure that is not a complete ripoff, which actually makes a big difference considering the comments on an almost daily basis about ripoff taxis, national parks, and all the other generalisations.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I think the high prices in many places are what they need. Obviously, most of us like to pay less, but often those businesses pay huge amounts of rent and other payments, so they need the income from the drinks. 

There was a time when bar owners made lots of money with some bars. It seems those times are mostly over. In general, I think fewer places are successful, and they still make less money than years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The cost of overheads incurred in running a bar, particularly rent in popular locations, has increased enormously over the past few years, hence the higher prices. In quieter areas you will be charged less, obviously. 

O'Malleys in Silom Rd is my go to bar in Bangkok. A good range of beers, great food, prices range from 110 bt per pint of Tiger draught.

Live music 🎵 on Wednesdays.

Sukhumvit? Nah. Bin there, done 'em all.

When I go to the Trendy building I usually call into the Red Lion while wife in VFS, pleasant atmosphere with newspapers available. Beer reasonably priced during the day with half litre draught Tiger at 89 baht, a bit pricy at night.

Never tried the breakfast, but looked reasonable with good full English at 195 baht, or you can create your own. Not come across many places offering black/white pudding or sauteed potatoes.

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I go to the Trendy building I usually call into the Red Lion while wife in VFS, pleasant atmosphere with newspapers available. Beer reasonably priced during the day with half litre draught Tiger at 89 baht, a bit pricy at night.

Never tried the breakfast, but looked reasonable with good full English at 195 baht, or you can create your own. Not come across many places offering black/white pudding or sauteed potatoes.

Well you need to find a new bar now that Trendy is no longer used for UK visa applications.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

Well you need to find a new bar now that Trendy is no longer used for UK visa applications.

Indeed, it closed down 3 days after we went, will be looking for a heads upon the new place.

Hope it's not like the one at Samyan for some EU countries, went there on Thursday, awful place, won't be going there again. Didn't see any watering holes in the vicinity.

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

The cost of overheads incurred in running a bar, particularly rent in popular locations, has increased enormously over the past few years, hence the higher prices. In quieter areas you will be charged less, obviously. 

I am only talking about popular locations.

2 hours ago, Red Forever said:

O'Malleys in Silom Rd is my go to bar in Bangkok. A good range of beers, great food, prices range from 110 bt per pint of Tiger draught.

Live music 🎵 on Wednesdays.

Sukhumvit? Nah. Bin there, done 'em all.

Been there once, nowt wrong with it but not my normal sort of place. For a different, less bland experience try The Old Other Office in Patpong. Don't worry no ladies or ladyboys after your money or body.

By the way you have possibly offended newbie by mentioning a low price.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Interesting and/or cheap bars in Bangkok

"Cheap" seems to be very important for some cheap people here. Obviously they are not part of the "quality community"🙏

Well the heading did mention cheap newbie, I thought you quality gents would immediately avert your eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're in the Onnut area there are multiple little friendly non-girlie-hustle bars (including one named Cheap Charlie's) 🙂 on Soi 50 (actually down a small walkway) across the street from the Tesco/Lotus at the Onnut BTS station. A couple of them have a pool table. There's also a great Indian food restaurant called Om Ganesh - check out their Tandori Chicken Chaat. 

p.s. Since you talk about pints and tea, I assume you're a Brit, but if you want to hang with some yanks - The Tavern on Soi 4 is THE spot.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes thanks for that, I have been in the Tavern, got a newish owner.?

I think Det 5 down Soi 8 has a regular American crowd as does the Roadhouse near Silom.

Jools when it was on the next corner to the Tavern was my main place in bkk previously.

I still go to Chequers but Jools was a bit special.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Many years ago it was rumoured that the rent on the Irish pub on the corner of Silom/Thaniya in BKK was a million Baht a month. I used to go in there on the rare occasions that I was down Silom way.

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Det 5, a bar restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 8, BKK I think was charging 70 Baht for a small Tiger when I was there recently. Nice food there too. Red Lion Soi 13, 80 Baht.

And the Bus Stop bar in Soi 4 I think was 75 a month or two ago. Would be a good one for Jim Tripper.

Chequers, Sukhumvit Soi 4. Proper British pub (although quite a few yanks and global nationalities visit). Always decent conversation. Happy Hour until 7pm. Tiger draught pint at 100 Baht (other deals too). Nice service staff. Food good too. Major sports events screened also. Sit at the front for interesting people watching as the soi comes to life as the sun sets.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Chequers, Sukhumvit Soi 4. Proper British pub (although quite a few yanks and global nationalities visit). Always decent conversation. Happy Hour until 7pm. Tiger draught pint at 100 Baht (other deals too). Nice service staff. Food good too. Major sports events screened too. Sit at the front for interesting people watching as the soi comes to life as the sun sets.

I used to like the full English breakfast in Chequers. I seldom used it as a boozer, but would have if I had lived closer.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, captBinBKK said:

If you're in the Onnut area there are multiple little friendly non-girlie-hustle bars (including one named Cheap Charlie's) 🙂 on Soi 50 (actually down a small walkway) across the street from the Tesco/Lotus at the Onnut BTS station. A couple of them have a pool table. There's also a great Indian food restaurant called Om Ganesh - check out their Tandori Chicken Chaat. 

p.s. Since you talk about pints and tea, I assume you're a Brit, but if you want to hang with some yanks - The Tavern on Soi 4 is THE spot.

Cheers!

I think the Cheap Charllie's Bar in Soi 50 is the reincarnation of the one that was in Sukhumvit Soi 11 for decades. Was lots of fun back in the day. Need to check out the new location.

• Like 1