Give me examples of you haggling & hustling ?

On 4/5/2024 at 2:18 PM, bob smith said:

a woman a few weeks ago quoted me 3,000 for a ST.

I asked her will you take 500.

she said OK, first customer of the day.

sometimes no effort is required!

bob.

Did she say 500 and time limit is 1 minute?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

currently selling a property back home, asking price 550K GBP, estate agent wanted 1.25% fees, got her down to 1% :coffee1:

They are not silly she will hit you up with admin fees etc , never trust the real estate sharks 

• Like 1

Just bought a flat in UK and got it down from £225k to £208k. I know the market as I have rented in same development for 9 years and been looking to buy in the area for over 2 years. Vendor was stubborn but after a few weeks and no better offers I got the property. I reckon bargain value is £200k but the value to me is greater for a number of reasons. I have no intention of selling and can rent it in a few years for good money and then make Bangkok my permanent home.

On the other hand, when a client ask us for discount on service, it depends how nice they are, what the booking is worth, and how busy we are. I'll sometimes give a token discount if I want the business but usually just say "no discount". 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

nope, i pumped her twice in half an hour.

bob.

Do we really need to know the fine details on that disgusting behaviour on this forum where a elite few including me are research analyst academics 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Do we really need to know the fine details on that disgusting behaviour on this forum where a elite few including me are research analyst academics 

scorecard asked!

bob.

Golden rule in Thailand if you are a foreigner, always bargain and offer a price that is half of what the chap in charging - no matter if Thai or a foreign provider/seller/merchant etc...

Many foreigners do not get the aspect  in Asian culture.

if one plainly pays the overcharged price as not to appear as a cheap charlie, for sure, you get all the simles and waïs on leaving, but in their minds, they will be saying "man what a fool to have paid out just like that",

On the other hand if you bargain, haggle get the discount you are asking, sure, you will get the stern looks and long faces, but deep inside the man or woman selling will have respect for you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Have any of you guys ever ...ever ...ever.....during low season asked for a discount on your drinks (low season ) before going into a bar ??

I heard of a guy who did this 

I have never requested a discount on drinks prices. However, there are three bars that I visit fairly regularly in Lamai, Samui (2 Thai owned, 1 Foreign owned) and have done so for many years. Two of them give me 20 baht below the list price on every beer. The other charges me happy hour prices regardless of the time of day which is a similar discount to the first two.

Not asked for, they just view me as a loyal customer. Doesn't sound like a lot but is appreciated and adds up to a fair amount over time. I give it all back though by buying the bartender a drink or two on most visits (which I would do anyway without the discount).

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, it is what it is said:

currently selling a property back home, asking price 550K GBP, estate agent wanted 1.25% fees, got her down to 1% :coffee1:

The ones i used wanted 1.8% 

Told them i would pay £1,500 upfront whether it sells or not. I will do the viewings. They did the pics and made a walkthrough video, which was really impressive.

Sold for full asking price in 4 weeks. That tactic saved quite a few thousand quid. Good luck.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:15 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

I don't haggle for anything .

If there's not a price in display, then I don't bother asking and just go elsewhere .

if it was something you really wanted or needed, and could not find it elsewhere, I bet you would be asking.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:18 AM, bob smith said:

a woman a few weeks ago quoted me 3,000 for a ST.

I asked her will you take 500.

she said OK, first customer of the day.

sometimes no effort is required!

bob.

Was it a ST or STD that you ended up with?