Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Give me examples of you haggling & hustling ?

Do you ever haggle or hustle ?

Actually I'm not sure what the word "hustle" actually means just I heard a guy at work say it but I think it's similar to haggle 

Anyway please dont get me off topic !  So the question is do you ever haggle not only over prices ,money but other things in life 

And please ...I'm not just talking about haggling with the local ladies over price BUT big companies too

Let me give you a major example where I WON over haggling 

I recently paid for travel insurance online using a discount code , I thought I had got a great discount until I saw another online website same travel insurance company and same policy much cheaper!

I immediately emailed them telling ...yes telling them I need it matched I'm getting depressed

They write back saying yes they will refund my money 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

She was hustling (as prostitution is borderline legal) , he was haggling (trying to buy for less money).

Perfect answer, thanks.

• Like 2

There is also a common term used these days; "Side Hustle". Used to describe a part time job/gig on the side to earn a bit of extra quick money. Often it can be an online job or something with a bit of an entrepreneurial twist, but some thing without the potential to turn into a full-time job or revenue stream. 

Edited by ABCDBKK
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Any discount above 30% is generally just too much work.

I got 30% off buying Oud perfume in Oman last week, it took a half hour. If I went to that little Arab section by Nana, I could prob do 20% off, Oud in the west would be double.

But it would be less great Oud. A royal level Oud- ounce will last thru 2 years of intermittent dabbing. ($78).

What's your time and aggro worth? How badly did I want the stupid Oud?  I like to shoot the breeze with a guy who has nice store, and in mostly empty Oman, I had plenty of time to kill.

I learned a lot about Oud, and that every Oman male has been to Thailand. They start to say Patt- and then self correct to Phuket. We had a little laugh. He graciously tossed in some frankincense oil, which really tops off the Oud.

Best deal to date: a Tibetan tiger rug in Kathmandu. 60% off, a quarter of New York nice store prices. Took 3 two hour chatty visits.

In any artsy place, there will only be 2-3 venues with quality stuff. Always in a prime location, like near ye olde walled city gate.

The idea of a cheap oud secret store deep inside the souk is for gullible wishful thinkers.

The rest will be Lonely Planet- level trash, not worth bothering with. Don’t even talk to me about the heartbreak of so-called pashmina.

If I’m buying night market trash, it’s 250 baht for a Thai Harley Davidson tee shirt. Take it or leave it. I’m not going to 300 baht, ever.

Edited by Prubangboy

6 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

clever aren't you bobby-boy. always trying to steal it or get it for free rather than pay fair market rates. thought you were a big minted baller. turns out you are just a typical tight arse scott underneath it all innit. 

be careful with those lady boys though. one minute they might be willing to toss your bait and tackle for a mere fiverr, but next minute they are chasing after you down soi 6/1 for the rest of the dosh that you owe them with a smashed beer bottle coming for your noggin. 

....I didn't get rich by giving it away, ABC.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

....I didn't get rich by giving it away, ABC.

bob.

right, says the man who throws around nickels as if they were man hole covers. you should have just called me baby. you know I will always show a little courtesy and throw in a reach around for free. nothing like playing the double bass innit. 

abc.

You want it cheaper take a thai person and stay out of site.   BTW   make sure the other party does not know your thai friend works overseas.    

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, surreybloke said:

You want it cheaper take a thai person and stay out of site.   

Unless it’s your wife, you’re asking a Thai person to screw over another Thai person for no self-benefit.

That’s why when I asked my guide about Oud pricing, I got a lot about how there are many types of Oud and no hard numbers.

He’s gotta swing by that Oud store every week for the rest of his professional life.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Hustle is to make money from someone in a barely legal way.

Haggle is to try and save money on a purchase.

I understand Australia has the worst education system in the, pl western world and many citizens are barely literate.

You aren't doing yourself any favours with this sort of post, exposing your ignorance.

You don't seem to be much of a hustler nor charmer in life nor a lover of the finer points and details , please do research and please write with some education and academia !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bob smith said:

what's all this 'innit' business?

are a cockney 'bruv' ?

bob.

Lol.  I used to love Arfur Daley , what a terrific post made me laugh 

Are there still Cockney people around? 

I remember them in Australia back in the 198o"selling $2 brand name perfumes on the street 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Do you ever haggle or hustle ?

Nope, I aint no stoogey prick.

If I think the price is ok I pay it... if not I walk away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had an AIS post paid sim card which I stopped using but didn't bother to cancel. Six months later I get this bill in the mail for thousands of baht. Even though I could show them I had changed sim cards and there was evidence I hadn't used the old card for months and months, they really were incredibly stubborn about knocking the bill down. Had to haggle on the phone for practically an hour for them to finally cut it down to one month.

On-line shopping and big box retailers have made haggling in Thailand pretty obsolete. If you want to get a laugh, ask the gas station attendant for a discount the next time you go for a fill up.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

what's all this 'innit' business?

are a cockney 'bruv' ?

bob.

please bruv leave my c0ck and knee out of all this. i save those two things for the dear mrs smith. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Nope, I aint no stoogey prick.

If I think the price is ok I pay it... if not I walk away.

My wife amazed me while haggling for a pair of shoes marked up at 1,600 Baht, after 15 minute of serious haggling she got the saleswoman to agree to 900 Baht.

wife, "so 900 Baht right"

saleswoman, "yes, shall I box them for you''

Wife with wry smile, "so what's the real price''

She got them for 700.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, nikmar said:

i think humour and calmness is key. 

Agreed. Not wanting to cause loss of face, humor goes a long way. At a tourist area recently. They were advertising massage prices. Many workers not much business. When approached, I joked a bit in Thai saying I was retired and my Daughter and I were not tourists but lived in a Thai city up North where I paid 50 baht less for an hour foot massage. The counter offer was for the 200 baht an hour I was used to paying for each of us. On leaving each were tipped 50 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Buying shirts one January in "Mike" shopping in Pattaya.

Vendor wanted 400 per shirt. I offered 250, vendor said "last price 350" and then said "Nobody will sell for 250" so I moved on.

Come April, (no customers) same shirts, same vendor happily took 260 per shirt . That's my sort of compromise. :tongue:

It's all about the timing 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

So, there is an insurance company that was quite willing to cheat you on the premium and you trust them to pay the claim? Is that the. story?

They told him to feck off and gave him his money back !

• Haha 2