Rock Bands That Should Have Been Bigger?

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Living Blues, Creedence CLearwater Revival, Cream >>> can hear them again and again, but they didn't go that big as they should. 

Hendrix - sorry he left way too early, he was genius.
Clapton was just great. "Double Trouble" as an example, decades later he released Money and Cigarettes is a masterpiece.

Pink Floyd - Mr. Waters shouldn't pull his ego to the stratosphere - they were great together, why did they go solo? Pros and Cons of HitchHiking, Radio K.A.O.S., Amused to Death were great albums, but what Gilmore, Wright and Mason did were ____________ (sad words). Why Mr. Waters didn't do it with original Pink Floyd?

And at last Mike Oldfield. He should rise higher than reissuing Tubular Bells over and over again.

PS: Ian Anderson is huge!

Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking was a staple for me to get stoned to during the 80's along with Stand Up (Fat Man, Bouree, Look into the sun etc) by Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull.

Brings back very happy memories. Thanks for reminding me!

54 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Interesting. Thanks. I didn't know Creed had that much success. They really only had that one big album titled Weathered, which they released in 2001 and they broke up in 2004 as you said. 

Then they released another album in 2009 with material mostly written when they wrote Weatherhead, which was a bit strange. But, by then, Scott Stapp had come back to rebuild some version of the band in 2009 and they stayed together after that for another 5-6 years more it seems.

Here is Stapp back in the saddle in 2009. Not quite the vocalist he once was:

Looking online Creed is set to start another reunion tour in July of this year with 3 Doors Down as a supporting act.

It seems the members have been going back and forth between Creed and Alter Bridge since 2009.  I should listen to both bands newer stuff.

5 hours ago, biervoormij said:

Looking online Creed is set to start another reunion tour in July of this year with 3 Doors Down as a supporting act.

It seems the members have been going back and forth between Creed and Alter Bridge since 2009.  I should listen to both bands newer stuff.

Alter Bridge was basically Creed, but without the singer Stapp, who they then swapped for Miles Kennedy. Miles not only sang for them, but also played rhythm guitar. Then, in 2009, they took Stapp back, Kennedy was out, and they changed the name back to Creed. Sort of a weird 5 year transition.

Kind of reminds me of how the Red Hot Chili Peppers got rid of the guitarist, got a new one and moved on, and then eventually took back the old guitarist and just carried on. It seems the issue there though was drug related and there was no change to the band's name during the interim. 

Stapp is important to the original Creed sound, but Miles Kennedy is such a superior musician. The other 3 Creed band members would've been better off to stay in the new band IMHO. Seems like going back to Creed was a step backwards for them in terms of future musical potential. 

17 hours ago, maechanman said:

Rory Gallagher was very underrated in my opinion, a far better guitarist than most and also the Icicle Works, a great 80s band from Liverpool.

Yes, Rory was brilliant.  There is a very well known quote, though no-one can show proof, that Hendrix in an  interview with Rolling Stone magazine was asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player in the world, Hendrix's answer was "You'll have to ask Rory Gallagher that one".

• Thumbs Up 1

Big Star from the early '70s, the best rock band you never heard of. Their best albums (#1 Record, Radio City) are available as a 2-fer on CD. They were power pop before it was cool. You may remember lead singer Alex Chilton from his earlier band The Box Tops. They had a big hit (#1 on the American Hot 100 Singles chart) with The Letter from 1967, a phenomenal blue-eyed soul tune.

big-star-right-size_custom-30e7583d46a7040d8dde338533e99633e9a3de27.jpg

big star_91YUtSNNR7L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

This Band is called the Babys from the 70's. The lead singer and Guitarist is John Waite. Unknown until you realize he wrote and sang the number 1 smash in the States  " Missing You "

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Yes, Rory was brilliant.  There is a very well known quote, though no-one can show proof, that Hendrix in an  interview with Rolling Stone magazine was asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player in the world, Hendrix's answer was "You'll have to ask Rory Gallagher that one".

Have you got any proof of this 'quote' as far as I know it's a myth and used for others such as asking Albert Einstein what is was like being a genius- ask Nikola Tesla! Another made up quote using the same theme. Tesla did not even believe in relativity or protons.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JJGittes said:

Big Star from the early '70s, the best rock band you never heard of. Their best albums (#1 Record, Radio City) are available as a 2-fer on CD. They were power pop before it was cool. You may remember lead singer Alex Chilton from his earlier band The Box Tops. They had a big hit (#1 on the American Hot 100 Singles chart) with The Letter from 1967, a phenomenal blue-eyed soul tune.

big-star-right-size_custom-30e7583d46a7040d8dde338533e99633e9a3de27.jpg

big star_91YUtSNNR7L._SL1500_.jpg

Excellent. TOTALLY agree! Too modest to mention them myself. 😉

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:00 PM, thenewgoo said:

Prince was only 5 ft 2 ins. He could have been bigger.

image.jpeg

At that height would he not have been better joining a circus? 

• Sad 2

On 4/6/2024 at 1:21 PM, sallecc said:

Triumph. Yeah they were big in Canada and maybe USA, but they could (and should) have been bigger worldwide... Many of my friends who like rock never heard of them.

First heard them when I visited my mom in Texas. Joe Anthony played them, Budgie, Legs Diamond and others who weren't that big then. I remember driving around looking for deer and he would put on Blinding Light Show, all parts. He knew.Triumph had one of the better guitarists in Rik Emmett. I sent their first album back to my friend in New Jersey. He listened to it with a few other friends and told me they said, they're okay. Little did they know what I felt.

20 hours ago, thecyclist said:

King Crimson ,  Camel, Anathema, Marillion, The Winter Machine, Katatonia 

As well as many other Prog bands that only seem to be big in Europe. Mostly Autumn, RPWL, TNNE (No Name Band), Salva, Pendragon, just to name a few. Some of the best guitarists are from Prog Rock bands.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:36 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Anal Leakage was a popular local band where I come from. As far as gigs and big contracts, they never managed to solidify anything. 

They were also great live and in concert. I saw them open once for The Bung Drips. The whole show flowed really well. 

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, proton said:

Have you got any proof of this 'quote' as far as I know it's a myth and used for others such as asking Albert Einstein what is was like being a genius- ask Nikola Tesla! Another made up quote using the same theme. Tesla did not even believe in relativity or protons.

I did say "no-one can show proof"??  If all else fails try reading the post.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 'HENG BAND' lately of the 'Check In' now the Monkey Bar in Korat.

They played western rock, 2 lead guitars at one stage and better than the originals.

Estranged - Guns and Roses

Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin

Yellow - Cold play

Creep - Radiohead

etc.etc.

That was a great night out. Thanks Guys !

The Family ,a band from Leicester , Roger Chapman has a great voice," Music in a doll's house" their first LP,

The Downliners Sect a band from the 60's 

The Nice with Keith Emerson on keyboards ,

regards Worgeordie

Cracker formed from the ashes of Camper Van Beethoven - they are still on the go but never really hit the highs that I thought they deserved when I first started listening to them in the mid 90s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Cracker formed from the ashes of Camper Van Beethoven - they are still on the go but never really hit the highs that I thought they deserved when I first started listening to them in the mid 90s.

I remember that song now and liked it. Never knew anything about the band. The thumbnail on the video you posted actually looks a bit like Bruce Springsteen when he was younger. Cracker has a nice sound that kind of reminds me of Oasis a bit too. Speaking of Oasis, memories of a great song:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

I remember that song now and liked it. Never knew anything about the band. The thumbnail on the video you posted actually looks a bit like Bruce Springsteen when he was younger. Cracker has a nice sound that kind of reminds me of Oasis a bit too. Speaking of Oasis, memories of a great song:

My mates and I went to the Glastonbury festival in 1994 (I think) - there was a buzz about some new band called Oasis that were playing one of the smaller remote stages but I convinced them that it would be better to go to see The Sandals who were playing the funk stage at the same time. I think some still haven't forgiven me.

• Haha 2

On 4/6/2024 at 1:51 PM, Guitar God said:

Moby Grape, derailed by legal troubles in their prime.

Bad Finger ruined by thieving management.  

I was thinking about Moby Grape as well.

I didn't know what happened to them.

They could rock.