In 2023, Thailand shifted away from cash just as Sweden asked to see it protected

webfact

24 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I just wish the supermarkets would have a "cash only" checkout,

At least one of the Big C Extra Pattaya 10 items till used to be cash only.....I think they had so many Thais trying to pay by scan they dropped that option or maybe it was during Covid.

6 hours ago, BritScot said:

One thing I have realised over the past few years is how stupid people are. Accepting lockdowns and in the uk publicly telling people they were using Phyops against their own people a fact that still disgusts me (being ex army). Then watch people sleep walking into digital currency  with the power banks and governments already welding. I tokenly carry an oz silver coin in my pocket to remind myself its real value and not made up. Everyone should read about the Bradbury pound (it scared the hell out of the Bank of England because it had real value).

Brit carrying a OZ coin?

Cant see the relevants of carrying a Australian coin wouldn't it be better a sovereign!

😂😂😗

Sounds very fake news again…🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣… hahahaha…

There are so few Bkk outlets that accept only digital payments only .. only one is some few Starbucks like k village … have not seen any other outlets doing the same and don’t expect it …  🤣🤣🤣 maybe the few Starbucks represents 80% of Thai economy … 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing worse than standing in a line behind some guy or gal, fooling around with their phone trying to get the payment app to work so they can pay for a 20 or 40 baht item at 7-Eleven. Or an 80 baht coffee. There have been times I've been so frustrated with the four or five minutes that this person is fooling around with their phone that I pulled out 20 or 40 baht and handed it to them. Here, take it, pay for it move on please.

In my opinion real man always carry cash. I hope that digital currency never takes over. I love having a wad of cash in my pocket. Always have and always will. 

In Hong Kong, you use Octopus for the small purchases. It came out early and is basically accepted everywhere and is quicker than paying cash.

If Rabbit could have managed to do the same - get accepted by everyone from market stalls to McDonald's for small purchases, you wouldn't need cash in Thailand either.

The last time I used cash here was the hairdressers in January, and I took it out of the ATM especially for that. But the last time I used cash was my last trip to Thailand - because the ridiculous ATM fees effectively force you to take out large amounts of cash.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Can someone please educate the writer of this article in basic math?

In 2022, only 27% of people used digital payment. Therefore, 73% were paying in cash.

That figure is now down to 66%, a change of 7%.

IMO not a big change.

additionally it would be wise to say that the 27% where most likely not using digital payment 100% of the time..so the real adoption could be anything and isnt visible with the infos provided

• Agree 1

I love tech, I move on quickly to new faster payment methods, but just popping out to the local store for that loaf of bread or milk etc, one or two item stuff, ‘Cash is King’

Of course it is slower if the digital payment method fails

Overall "cash free" checkout lines are faster.

Let's ban it once and for all.

Keep forgetting I guess I could tip the hotel van drivers but  still have a bag of yuan notes and coins from before covid.

Cash is almost impossible to spend in Shanghai

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing worse than standing in a line behind some guy or gal, fooling around with their phone trying to get the payment app to work so they can pay for a 20 or 40 baht item at 7-Eleven. Or an 80 baht coffee. There have been times I've been so frustrated with the four or five minutes that this person is fooling around with their phone that I pulled out 20 or 40 baht and handed it to them. Here, take it, pay for it move on please.

In my opinion real man always carry cash. I hope that digital currency never takes over. I love having a wad of cash in my pocket. Always have and always will. 

I love QR payments. I use them all the time and have my app logged in and ready to scan when the cashier is ready to accept payment. Takes a matter of seconds for the payment to process. 

I'm frustrated waiting behind someone digging through pockets of change to make thier cash payments, and hate walking around with a wad of bills and pocket full of coins.

I also avoid 7-11 because they're the one major retailer I know of who won't accept QR payments. Whatever electronic payment system they accept is ridiculously slow and consequently they always have long check out times. My wife pays cash at 7-11 and uses thier app to collect "points". Waiting for her to dig out her coins to make a cash payment, and then coax their app to life results in the consistently longest checkout time possible IMO.

Fortunately Tops Daily and Mini Big C accept QR payments and checkout time is always faster 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They still haven’t sorted out card payments completely in Thailand. With many purchases at the same supermarket using the same (foreign) credit card, sometimes I only had to swipe the card, usually had to sign the docket. 

Australia’s crazy, other day I bought an ice cream at the little kiosk at a beach run by lifesavers. Lucky I have some cash with me, I thought, surely they won’t take cards. Turned out they’d only accept cards. Problem for swimmers, OK to leave a few dollars with your stuff while you’re in the water, but no way I’d leave a credit card unguarded at a beach.

Hope QR codes don’t become universal, I have no idea how to use them.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it's a matter of age. 

Spidermike reached already an age where it's not so easy anymore to work with your mobile phone typing numbers and pressing the right button with clumsy fingers. In addition he needs his reading glasses. But what happens if he can't remember where there are? 

So he decided to go out with some thousand Baht notes in his pocket knowing that his bill for coffee and cake will never exceed this amount. He would hand over the note and would receive the change with a smile.

This is a real man's attitude and behaviour, isn't it?

Sorry, Spidermike, I'm just joking 🥳🤣🤗☺️. It's not any personal thing. I wish you all the best.

• Confused 2

THA didn't ditch cash 😂 until I can no longer get cash from ATMs or money changers, it's not ditched. Plus, there are far too many poor people in the informal economy to making ditching imminent. Stop the scar mongering. 

Sorry, if this is a stupid question. I see many write about QR codes and phones; is it not possible to pay using contact free payment with the chip on a credit card?

In Denmark, which I believe was the frontrunner in digital payment, not Sweden, we use contact less payment with a credit card. Very fast and very convenient.

• Thanks 1