In 2023, Thailand shifted away from cash just as Sweden asked to see it protected

webfact

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing worse than standing in a line behind some guy or gal, fooling around with their phone trying to get the payment app to work so they can pay for a 20 or 40 baht item at 7-Eleven. Or an 80 baht coffee. There have been times I've been so frustrated with the four or five minutes that this person is fooling around with their phone that I pulled out 20 or 40 baht and handed it to them. Here, take it, pay for it move on please.

In my opinion real man always carry cash. I hope that digital currency never takes over. I love having a wad of cash in my pocket. Always have and always will. 

Only over here is it so difficult.  In the UK with Apple pay or whatever there is not a chance someone using cash will be faster than someone using their phone to pay as it literally is just a tap that is needed - it's people who use cash who are now the ones holding up queues as they fish it out of their pockets and then wait for change.  The problem here is that every shop does something different, they don't want to pay the fees for Visa/Mastercard transactions or even debit card transactions so there is a mess of scanning QR codes to directly transfer from banking app or using one of several different apps to pay.

I prefer cashless (typically) as everything time I buy something from 7/11 it always ends up being something like 21/41/61/81 bahts so I end up with useless annoying small coins rattling around in my pockets.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, farang51 said:

In basic math, the change is some 9,59 %. Or 7 percent point. 😁

I tend to favor the principle of Keep It Simple, Stupid. ( KISS )

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:
1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

what seems very poor technology.  The other day the lady in front of me 20 b looking for the app input on phone oh, that does not work.  Talk to the cashier, try again, nothing is working.  I threw down 20 b and told her to move on. In fact, I will probably keep a wade of 20 b in my pocket just in case. Ridiculous. 

Expand  

I think that was very rude and fails to consider where you are. Just because you think 20b is an insignificant amount, doesn't mean the person paying the bill does.

Hear, hear!  Well said.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Can someone please educate the writer of this article in basic math?

In 2022, only 27% of people used digital payment. Therefore, 73% were paying in cash.

That figure is now down to 66%, a change of 7%.

IMO not a big change.

"Can someone please educate the writer of this article in basic math?"

No one's maths needs to be checked, but someone needs to educate you about basic English comprehension, all the report said about Thailand was, "...in the last two years, there has been a change", that is 100% accurate.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are more people in Thailand without a phone or internet than there are in the UK.

You don't need those things to use a debit card.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1