400k for non-O multiple entry

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Actually appreciate your post. Really and well written.

Bit off topic but I'm moving from funds in the bank for retirement extensions to income method.

So yes PITA.

I need to run the 2 requirements side by side till I can jump ship to income method.

Being Oz my embassy does not provide "income letter" 

The OP has given us very little. 

Not even sure which country he is from.

Being married he would only need to show 40k income per month.

My point is that if someone cannot show 40k per month do they have adequate funds to live in Thailand 

I 100% agree that if you don't have 40k thb per month, you shouldn't be here at all.

It is the complexity of applying this way, and the fact that you need 12 months' worth of deposits in a Thai bank that you couldn't possibly open unless you have a long term visa already! It is actually insane when you think about it.

17 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

It's the way you say it, and you do say it a lot!

It is really annoying, because although you spend a lot of time helping people, you always write as if you look down on those of us who can't put 400k in the bank. Your advice is always solid, but please remember that we are not all in the same situation, we are not all the same age, and we all have our own families/expenses/income etc. to worry about.

In defence of Jack.

Having been on the Admin and moderator side of forums, it is a thankless job.

Every day you have to deal with those who may intend well, but simply confuse the issue at hand.
There are those a dime short of a dollar and will never grasp what you say, regardless of how you present it.
Those that seek an answer, but don't like the answer because it doesn't fit their circumstances.

Those that criticise information, yet offer no alternative information themselves.
The trolls.
Those to whom everything is a 'visa' yet for years UJ (RIP) would continually state it's a permit.
Those that read but don't understand.

Then there is the personal abuse.

So, if a mod is a little narky at times, give him a break, he has a lot to contend with.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Nayet said:

Sorry, I'm not very good at reading. My income, for the most part, is above 40k per month, but it varies. I wonder if that will pose a problem?

For the 1-year extension of stay, it has to be a minimum of 40K THB per month transferred from overseas.
That posses a problem when you haven't lived in Thailand for at least a year.

There are those that have used an agent for the very first extension, whilst they transfer income from overseas during that year, then applied the following year themselves (1,900 BHT) now having the required evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

It is the complexity of applying this way, and the fact that you need 12 months' worth of deposits in a Thai bank that you couldn't possibly open unless you have a long term visa already! It is actually insane when you think about it.

Yes gone are the days of easy opening a bank account from visa exempt or tourist visa.

An option is to use an agent.

This is just for the bank account. 

Not referring to non O and extensions.

That will be 4-5k 

However that only enables you to start the required 12 month of transfers. Horrible.

Agree..very difficult for UK,USA,AU citizens. 

I'm not sure OP pp country

19 minutes ago, Nayet said:

Sorry, I'm not very good at reading. My income, for the most part, is above 40k per month, but it varies. I wonder if that will pose a problem?

What is your nationality, that may provide an alternative option.

50 minutes ago, Nayet said:

Is this thread serious? 

1. What is your passport country.

2. Income "for the most part" above 40k! yes that would be an issue. Cannot be below 40k 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:51 PM, Nayet said:

This may be old news on the forum, but I just discovered that the consulate in Savannakhet now requires proof of 400k for multiple entry non-O visas.

Does anyone know of any good alternatives for people who don't meet the 400k requirement?

It was not old news for us....We (my Thai wife & I) always come to our Thailand home 3 months a year. I always get a Non Imm O based on marriage & it is good for the 90 days no problem. It has always been show $750 in bank & proof of marriage passports etc... All done

But this year they want 400k baht and yet this is not a yearly extension where that is normal just a type O non imm 90 day single entry visa.

But the really odd thing is if you look at the e-visa site they now call this a visit family..ok fine but visit Thai Family is 400,000 baht proof...Visit Non Thai Family 30,000 baht/ $1000 usd proof (which is of course closer to last years $750)

I posted a thread on it here

Sound basically like the same thing your up against now except mine was just a single entry 90 day

Edited by mania
  • Thanks 1

Income proof still depends on the embassies individually confirming that income too as far I know, that is the entire problem with the 40K in the first place and why everyone is left with the 400K option. Not sure why some posters even suggest this, now that they also took the easy single entry visa away, as of demanding 400K.

This again is also entirely nonsense, as most people including me, mania and others, just want a single entry non-o visa. I mean, by requiring this one might as well just convert inside the country from a 30 days on arrival. The entire visa purpose is gone this way, unless you do it for the extra 3 months, but that is kind of pointless, as one can continue to extend yearly within the country in that case anyway.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Is this thread serious? 

1. What is your passport country.

2. Income "for the most part" above 40k! yes that would be an issue. Cannot be below 40k 

Netherlands and 80-150K a month, yet I earn this offshore and from multiple sources, even it does come into my Thai account for a good part from overseas, the Dutch embassy would not be able and verify that income, as it is not made in Netherlands. So you would tell me I can still then do this? As most digital workers have same or similar issue.

I never spend less than 1 million a year for over a decade already, visible in Kasikorn, yet they hassle me. I should have been given a permanent residence at least, spending like 350K USD from 20-30 years old. And if they not make me leave, it could be another 1.5-2 million USD over life.

Why not keep 400K baht in the bank then? I would have lost from 33.5 per 1 EUR to 39.5 per 1 EUR already in the past 2 years again (nearly 2000 euro), I had quite a few holidays to Vietnam with that money, and liked to just obtain a new single non-o instead. Excuse for some alone time too.

Just gonna still marry on paper, so I can at least do the 60 day extensions on a 30 day on arrival. Better than nothing for now. Not so sure Thailand is moving in the right direction to stay much longer than a few years more anyway. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

14 hours ago, Nayet said:

If you are from  a country that can get a letter, you only need to meet the annual requirement.

If it comes to transfers that may depend on which office you would use. The requirement is that you transfer at least 40K a month over the 12 month period. I only ever transferred just over the 40K, with additional transfers if necessary.

Some offices like mine also wanted to see where the funds came from but I have seen posts from some saying that only a statement showing the deposits was required.

Maybe worth checking with someone using the same office.

8 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Netherlands and 80-150K a month, yet I earn this offshore and from multiple sources, even it does come into my Thai account for a good part from overseas, the Dutch embassy would not be able and verify that income, as it is not made in Netherlands. So you would tell me I can still then do this? As most digital workers have same or similar issue.

I never spend less than 1 million a year for over a decade already, visible in Kasikorn, yet they hassle me. I should have been given a permanent residence at least, spending like 350K USD from 20-30 years old. And if they not make me leave, it could be another 1.5-2 million USD over life.

Why not keep 400K baht in the bank then? I would have lost from 33.5 per 1 EUR to 39.5 per 1 EUR already in the past 2 years again (nearly 2000 euro), I had quite a few holidays to Vietnam with that money, and liked to just obtain a new single non-o instead. Excuse for some alone time too.

Absolutely no idea why you replied to my questions that were directed to @Nayet

It's his thread and asking about how to live ongoing in Thailand. 

Not even sure what passport he has.

Assuming one with embassy that provides income letter. 

Why detail what you lose in opportunity cost by having 400k in a bank for couple of months per year.

Far less than retirement extensions 800k-400k all year.

Anyway all off topic.

Every country has their own rules. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Assuming one with embassy that provides income letter. 

So what is said was right; this a useless suggestion that doesn't work for most people since years, many times debated on this forum. Hence the only alternative was the single entry or multi entry non-o visa for married people in savannakhet aside from otherwise needing the 400K.

So again you are in fact the one who caused this topic to go off tracks.

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So what is said was right; this a useless suggestion that doesn't work for most people since years, many times debated on this forum

Things can change. Many years ago the extensions based on retirement Financials changed

Adapt to the change. If cannot then go home. 

The point is that in case of OP he mentioned EU. Would help a lot if @Nayet clarified. 

Reasonable to guess he is not UK,USA,AU.

Perhaps he can obtain an "income letter" from embassy.

Perhaps his immigration office only requires the letter and not proof of pensions as pointed out in post above by @sandyf 

The income requirements for monthly transfers has very low requirement. 40k 

2 hours ago, mania said:

But the really odd thing is if you look at the e-visa site they now call this a visit family..ok fine but visit Thai Family is 400,000 baht proof...Visit Non Thai Family 30,000 baht/ $1000 usd proof (which is of course closer to last years $750)

This has come up a few times in the past. If you are looking at an e-visa site then the amount would be the local equivalent of 400K, for the UK this would be £10,000.

If I remember right it was queried with London and the answer was that the £10K was for the ME visa, when they were available, and that for a SE Non O anything over £1,000 would be acceptable.

If I remember right the application has 2 financial questions, Q4 & Q10, the latter being a bank statement for £10K.

I think I answered Q4 and for Q10 uploaded a reference to Q4.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

This has come up a few times in the past. If you are looking at an e-visa site then the amount would be the local equivalent of 400K, for the UK this would be £10,000.

If I remember right it was queried with London and the answer was that the £10K was for the ME visa, when they were available, and that for a SE Non O anything over £1,000 would be acceptable.

If I remember right the application has 2 financial questions, Q4 & Q10, the latter being a bank statement for £10K.

Thanks that is useful info ....Yes I have seen various sites & it is always converted to local currency. Of course will will likely find a way to go or work around but as always it is frustrating that you can never get a straight answer to an obvious problem.

What makes it worse is before applying for a visa of course we need to book our flights which are usually (in our case ) non refundable or changeable without a big up-charge

So of course would be nice to know if it will be easy to achieve a 90 day visa as usual or not.

BTW: as an aside...Last year I did the Non-Imm O visa single entry 90 day online...I get a email saying I put a wrong expiration date on form for my passport ...I know I didn't as it was a drop down menu & I have my passport in hand while filling it out.

In any case they say they cannot show me the error so I have to reapply

So I did & of course they again charged me another $80 ..So last year was $160 for a single entry. When I complained that I didn't believe it nor should I be charged 2x  they sent me a single line canned response that I still have....

"Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide a reason."

🙄

Edited by mania

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

The RTE London confirmed by e-mail, £1k non O SE, £10k for non-O ME, May 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mania said:

What makes it worse is before applying for a visa of course we need to book our flights which are usually (in our case ) non refundable or changeable without a big up-charge

I always book flights well in advance as they are normally at a better price, but I have never provided the booking details on a non O marriage visa application, may be different for a tourist visa. 

On page 3 of the application they ask for the flight number landing into Thailand. You can get that quite easily from the internet, normally the same for a route and time.

I use Emirates and have changed date and time of the flight without charge. Different story if you want to change destination.

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I always book flights well in advance as they are normally at a better price, but I have never provided the booking details on a non O marriage visa application

For a single non-O (retirement) from London in Feb this year I received a follow up email asking for;

• Other request documents: - Flight details showing the applicant’s name, departure date, all flights en route from UK/Ireland/UK territories to Thailand

....so it might be worthwhile being prepared for that just in case you get the same next time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

I always book flights well in advance as they are normally at a better price, but I have never provided the booking details on a non O marriage visa application, may be different for a tourist visa. 

On page 3 of the application they ask for the flight number landing into Thailand. You can get that quite easily from the internet, normally the same for a route and time.

I use Emirates and have changed date and time of the flight without charge. Different story if you want to change destination.

I have always gotten a Non ImmType O based on marriage to a Thai & have always been 90 day visa's

Buy yes they have always wanted the airline ticket info

We always fly Korean Air, Japan Air or ANA

Change fees can be rough like $400 each on JAL

Korean is less like $200 but $400 to cancel

Before Covid China Airlines was good about allowing changes free but only on return flight

China no longer has flights for us

On 4/6/2024 at 11:59 AM, Moonlover said:

Thanks for the info, but I'm on a regular marriage extension using income and I've no plans to change anything.

Just for information: how do you manage having money from overseas arriving at the right time each month for 12 months?

Some Immigration offices are pretty anal about the monthly amount and date criteria for retirement extensions, some even insisting on evidence that it is from a pension. Just wondering if they are a bit more relaxed when it comes to timing of monthly income transfers for a marriage extension. For example, this month was double-faulted with the UK's Easter Bank Holiday on 1 April followed by the Chakri Day off on 8 April over here.

Of course, the amount is easy to manage, as one just adds on a bit extra to ensure that forex rates and other fees are accounted for.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Just for information: how do you manage having money from overseas arriving at the right time each month for 12 months?

Some Immigration offices are pretty anal about the monthly amount and date criteria for retirement extensions, some even insisting on evidence that it is from a pension. Just wondering if they are a bit more relaxed when it comes to timing of monthly income transfers for a marriage extension. For example, this month was double-faulted with the UK's Easter Bank Holiday on 1 April followed by the Chakri Day off on 8 April over here.

Of course, the amount is easy to manage, as one just adds on a bit extra to ensure that forex rates and other fees are accounted for.

I've been using the monthly income method for my marriage extension ever since the demise of the embassy income letters. I've never encountered any of the problems that you mention. As long as I can show that 40k minimum P/M has been deposited, they're happy with that. They've shown no interest in the dates. 

I've never had to use it, but I do know that with a marriage extension, the criteria is actually an average of 40k per month. So if a payment was delayed and spilled over into the next month it shouldn't be a problem.

I do live up country where things are a lot more relaxed as far immigration goes. At least that's the impression I get from some of the tales I've read on here.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Upnotover said:

For a single non-O (retirement) from London in Feb this year I received a follow up email asking for;

• Other request documents: - Flight details showing the applicant’s name, departure date, all flights en route from UK/Ireland/UK territories to Thailand

....so it might be worthwhile being prepared for that just in case you get the same next time.

Indeed, I would normally have the information but as it is not requested on the application, never seen the need to provide it.

it is only about 6 months since I did the last one, and I had the visa within 48 hours of application. With all the varying comments I suspect there is a certain amount of discretion being exercised by the embassy and some factors may carry more weight for some.

Nothing more than an observation, but my applications have a letter from my wife rather than just an address and I use the Thai account rather than my UK account for proof of funds.

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pre brexit I had my pension paid straight to account in Thailand. When it all went pear shaped I changed and had money paid to UK account.

Glad I did, when the letters stopped I had control of when transfers were made. I am with HSBC and they only charge £5, was £4 until  a couple of years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/10/2024 at 4:14 PM, sandyf said:

Pre brexit I had my pension paid straight to account in Thailand. When it all went pear shaped I changed and had money paid to UK account.

Glad I did, when the letters stopped I had control of when transfers were made. I am with HSBC and they only charge £5, was £4 until  a couple of years ago.

I did similar but I use Wise to make the transfer to Thailand. It saves me having to go to the bank to collect FETs. It's quite a trek as I live out of town. That's a quite a low fee that HSBC are charging, but what exchange rate are you getting?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:46 AM, DrJack54 said:

Things can change. Many years ago the extensions based on retirement Financials changed

Adapt to the change. If cannot then go home. 

The point is that in case of OP he mentioned EU. Would help a lot if @Nayet clarified. 

Reasonable to guess he is not UK,USA,AU.

Perhaps he can obtain an "income letter" from embassy.

Perhaps his immigration office only requires the letter and not proof of pensions as pointed out in post above by @sandyf 

The income requirements for monthly transfers has very low requirement. 40k 

Sorry for my late response. I'm Swedish.

I remember getting an income letter from my embassy (for a different purpose) a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure that's going to help now.

Also, because the money is not from any kind of pension fund (and the amont varies), won't I basically incriminate myself as someone working without a work permit?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had problems getting multiple consecutive Single Entry visas, as this seems to be my only recourse for the time being.

13 minutes ago, Nayet said:

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had problems getting multiple consecutive Single Entry visas, as this seems to be my only recourse for the time being

My last reply as not interested in your excuse for lack of contribution to own thread..

At a guess you are working online.

That works provided not related to Thailand. 

And NO ongoing setv will not work.

Under 50 you could consider PE visa option. 

At a guess too expensive for digital nomad. 

BOI perhaps an option

45 minutes ago, Nayet said:

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had problems getting multiple consecutive Single Entry visas, as this seems to be my only recourse for the time being.

I informed you previously you can obtain the single entry Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse from Savannahket, with no financial requirement followed by a 60 day extension from Immigration, which gives you almost 5 months. (you can ask Savannahket if they'd issue a 2nd Non Imm 0 SE in the same year when applying the for the first one).

Long term, you need to employ an agent to afford you a 1-year extension based on retirement, circa 25K.

7 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I informed you previously you can obtain the single entry Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse from Savannahket, with no financial requirement followed by a 60 day extension from Immigration, which gives you almost 5 months. (you can ask Savannahket if they'd issue a 2nd Non Imm 0 SE in the same year when applying the for the first one).

Long term, you need to employ an agent to afford you a 1-year extension based on retirement, circa 25K.

Thanks, I'm on the SE visa now. According to the information provided by DrJack54, I will hopefully be able to make a 1-year extension based on monthly income after that.

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I did similar but I use Wise to make the transfer to Thailand. It saves me having to go to the bank to collect FETs. It's quite a trek as I live out of town. That's a quite a low fee that HSBC are charging, but what exchange rate are you getting?

When Wise came on the scene each time I did a transfer I did a comparison and there was very little difference so stayed with what I was used to.  I send GBP so would get the rate when it hits BOT, probably a small admin fee for local bank but I have no indication of that. I have the Wise account and debit card so a back up if ever a problem with HSBC. Some time ago they did point out that I should be sending THB rather than GBP,  just ignored it and nothing further said.

Years ago when I started sending money, HSBC charged £17 for online and £25 at the branch then suddenly around 2012 they dropped it to £4, quite a surprising move.

Each time I do a transfer HSBC posts a remittance advice to my account and for immigration I just download them and cross refer to the statement.  In the days before covid when you could stay inside I used to watch the IO go through them, a couple  of minutes and no questions asked.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When Wise came on the scene each time I did a transfer I did a comparison and there was very little difference so stayed with what I was used to.  I send GBP so would get the rate when it hits BOT, probably a small admin fee for local bank but I have no indication of that. I have the Wise account and debit card so a back up if ever a problem with HSBC. Some time ago they did point out that I should be sending THB rather than GBP,  just ignored it and nothing further said.

Years ago when I started sending money, HSBC charged £17 for online and £25 at the branch then suddenly around 2012 they dropped it to £4, quite a surprising move.

Each time I do a transfer HSBC posts a remittance advice to my account and for immigration I just download them and cross refer to the statement.  In the days before covid when you could stay inside I used to watch the IO go through them, a couple  of minutes and no questions asked.  

Interesting stuff. I wonder whether HSBC recognized the challenge from Wise (and others) and dropped their fees. Nationwide charge £20 for a SWIFT transfer, so I'll stick with Wise.

• Like 1