"Hello - Doi Suthep - where are you?" cough cough cough

connda

21 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Its a toxic hell hole. Oh, we're ok we have 6 air purifiers and keep our aircon filters clean, wear masks, don't go outside between 8am and 7pm, and try not to breath too hard. But we love it here.

Great way to live.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Does complaining about it every year really make people feel better?

It must be because the same people complain bitterly year after year! They announce over Social Media the first instance of air pollution as if no one else has a window through which to look, then repeat their complaints daily until the rains come.

Frankly, I haven't noticed that those complaints are improving air quality, but I might not be looking at the right numbers.
Put on the air purifiers at home, put on an N95 mask when you're outside, and get on with life. It's not a Zombie Apocalypse.

The Thai government is doing what it 'thinks' is the best way to handle it (even if we don't,) and Thais don't like this air any more than we do.

• Love It 1

16 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Does complaining about it every year really make people feel better?............<snipped to save space>........Frankly, I haven't noticed that those complaints are improving air quality,

Perhaps...Perhaps not.....But what it does do is help those who have not yet made the move avoid the mistake that many have made.

Reading this thread  & also this thread it is obvious many that have been in CM a long time have also either moved or are trying to.

For that reason alone it serves a useful purpose to many

That aside...Does complaining about the complaining make people stuck in CM feel better? 😉 

Edited by mania
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mania said:

Perhaps...Perhaps not.....But what it does do is help those who have not yet made the move avoid the mistake that many have made.

(SNIPPED for brevity)

That aside...Does complaining about the complaining make people stuck in CM feel better? 😉 

How do you suppose it affects those who do NOT consider the move to be a mistake?

Judging by the large number of expats who don't feel the need to leave, there seem to be quite a few who don't think living in Chiang Mai is a mistake.
In the past 23+ years here in Chiang Mai, we have never felt the need to leave. Your mileage may vary.

And yes, complaining two or three times seems to be sufficient to illuminate those who need to complain every day, and stop some of the bitching by people who are upset that we are not upset about the AQ... But only some. I guess misery loves company.

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

How do you suppose it affects those who do NOT consider the move to be a mistake?

<snipped to save space>...

Well I guess inadvertently you answered your own question when you said "But only some. I guess misery loves company."

But yes for those that do not consider living for months per year in a toxic environment a mistake then of course so be it for them no problem.

The questions &  concern is not for those people same as there is no concern for lung cancer in those who smoke. Because after all there is always freedom of choice. They chose so be it. They threw the dice some got lucky many did not

You should just be happy your happy & not get so upset every time someone brings up the toxic air subject. Not everyone is a lifelong smoker & not everyone is a septuagenarian+

Some are still young with a life to look forward to & worry what the long term effects will be. They chose not to throw the dice... They hope not to pay the price

8 hours ago, mania said:

But yes for those that do not consider living for months per year in a toxic environment a mistake then of course so be it for them no problem.

... and THAT is the name of the tune. It's no problem for us. Just another situation with which to deal.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, mania said:

Reading this thread  & also this thread it is obvious many that have been in CM a long time have also either moved or are trying to.

For that reason alone it serves a useful purpose to many

The only way to raise the awareness is by complaining, that is why it got more attention since the recent years, even it happens since decades.

Other than that, you are entirely right, most people who have a chance to move will usually do it. I personally moved a lot within Thailand and came back to CM since 1-2 years now, and we are now looking to move permanently away later this year or before the next burning season. It's just not worth it, specially not year on year.

Just to sit in this air a week already can cause infected eyes, lung infections, sore throats, difficulty to breath, being tired, stuck nose etc etc. It's like I am permanently living in one of those airport smoker rooms.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Just to sit in this air a week already can cause infected eyes, lung infections, sore throats, difficulty to breath, being tired, stuck nose etc etc. It's like I am permanently living in one of those airport smoker rooms.

Which is why we remodeled our home to be relatively air-tight and we run air filters from March until whenever the hell the rains show up - often the end of May.  We go out seldom.  I pity the neighbors in the beautiful open-air teak homes.  <cough cough hack hack wheeze>

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:32 PM, connda said:

Which is why we remodeled our home to be relatively air-tight and we run air filters from March until whenever the hell the rains show up - often the end of May.  We go out seldom.  I pity the neighbors in the beautiful open-air teak homes.  <cough cough hack hack wheeze>

You don't consider living in a lockdown three months of the year too high a price to pay?