Air Pollution Spurs Lung Cancer Spike in Northern Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Northern Thailand is confronting a critical public health issue, with Chiang Mai and Lampang provinces experiencing alarmingly high mortality rates from lung cancer linked to the pervasive presence of PM2.5 particles in the air.

According to Assoc Prof Chalerm Liewsisakul of Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Medicine, the last decade has seen a notable deterioration in air quality in the region, correlating with an increase in lung disease cases.

Studies indicate a rapid rise in lung cancer deaths in the North, from 20.3 per 100,000 people in 2010 to 30.7 in 2019. This worrying trend highlights the critical need for immediate action to tackle air pollution and its detrimental health effects, particularly in Chiang Mai and Lampang. The data further reveals a higher incidence of lung cancer among the youth in these areas, suggesting a direct link to prolonged exposure to PM2.5 particles.

Research focusing on emphysema patients in Chiang Dao, a locality known for high PM2.5 levels, shows that exposure leads to cellular changes, hinting at the potential for genetic mutations and cancer development. The adverse health impacts of PM2.5 pollution are further evidenced by a spike in respiratory problems, with serious conditions like emphysema, coronary heart disease, and strokes becoming more common during high pollution periods.

An analysis by the Faculty of Medicine at Chiang Mai University also found a direct correlation between PM2.5 levels and mortality rates, with a 1.6% increase in deaths for every ten micrograms per cubic meter of air (µg/m³) rise in PM2.5. The faculty also confirmed the death of Prof Rawiwan Olarnratmanee, attributing her lung cancer to PM2.5 exposure. 

Meanwhile, Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital reported that over 30,000 patients sought treatment for pollution-related illnesses early this year, doubling last year's figures.

by Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 2024-04-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

“According to Assoc Prof Chalerm Liewsisakul of Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Medicine, the last decade has seen a notable deterioration in air quality in the region, correlating with an increase in lung disease cases.”

ya think?

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

not sure where you live but I have checked the 2.5 levels in my part of BKK over the last 8 months and the number of days it is within the WHO level of safe can be counted on one hand.  I walk 6 km every day, wearing an n95 mask (google if you don't think they are safe and read the test results) and I seldom see others walking/jogging wearing a mask and some ask me why I am wearing a mask - their response when I tell them the 2.5 micron level they reply but this is outside!  Pollution and capital cities is not a new phenomona  - I have lived in many and doctors always told be if I was to exercise outside then I should wear an n95 mask!

Is it fun?

maybe choose somewhere with better air quality

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, happysoul said:

I've been living in Chiang Dao for 11 years. Made a move last month for the kids. Some years were ok, some horrible. 2016 when our daughter was born, was one of the horrible. It didn't rain a single drop from December (2015) to June. Normally the smoke problem goes away with the rain, so if it rains every month it's not that bad (equals or even better than CM city if you can call that not that bad).

What I would like to see is a study of impact of fertilizers and other chemicals widely used in longan orchards and corn fields. But that's another wide topic and not the one here.

It's really sad for the place as it's really nice outside of these smoking months. Nature is "still" preserved and the mountains are beautiful. Lot's of birds, wild orchid and insects. I've seen a lot of weird things I had never seen before even having spend some time in Amazonia. And the cold season that was always welcomed. How nice to sleep under a blanket at 15°C !

We will go back for the Christmas holidays to get that cold feeling ! 

May I ask you : do you smoke ? do you drink ? 😉

Any other irrelevant questions you want to ask?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, john donson said:

did people not die during covid lockdown from lung cancer ?

did they stop burning during covid ?

Among many respiratory diseases yes and the burning continued through the pandemic years too.  I am fairly sure that during the world wars the farmers continued to clear their fields by burning.  I was in CM during COVID and yeah, I exercised outside with a mask but during that period, no one said anything about it as just about everyone wore a mask in those days.

If you look at lung cancer deaths on websites with stats on life expectancy, Thailand does surprisingly well, with lung cancer deaths per 100,000 about the same as Australia and New Zealand. I find that very surprising, considering the vastly cleaner air in those countries, and with levels of smoking I would have thought are lower than Thailand’s.

There are also quite a few countries with overall death rates greater than 30.7 per 100,000, maybe due to high rates of smoking.

• Like 1