Just discovered for myself how difficult Thailand is for the incapacitated

poppysdad

57 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Having been seriously ill for the past few months with pneumonia on top of my advanced COPD I’ve either been in hospital or housebound. 
But this past week I’ve been feeling a lot better so we decided to try going out for the first time in many a week so off to Robinsons. Very easy to access in the wheelchair from the carpark as were Amazon, the ATM and all the other outlets inside so full marks. 

So we then thought about lunch in one of our regular cafes we used to visit and came to the conclusion that not one of them was wheelchair friendly in the slightest. Most of them had at least 2 steps to climb, when fit and able they pose no problem whatsoever and it never enters your head they they would be a problem but suddenly when even 1 step is your nemesis getting into them becomes a major headache. And even if getting up them it still means leaving the wheelchair outside which isn’t a sensible idea. At one there are no steps but you would need to push the wheelchair over a lot of mini pebbles which isn’t the easiest of things to do. But not one of them has a ramp of any description for people like me. As I say it never enters your head until it does become a problem and then well it means not getting in without a lot of difficulty.

I can probably walk 10-20 paces unaided  but even just 1 step becomes a major obstacle, it’s not the lifting of the foot but pushing yourself up with other that is. Hopefully in the future I might overcome this but currently there are now a lot of places that are simply unavailable to me and those like me and I would really love to get back into those cafes where we were once regular customers. 

Do some weight lifting. Might help you with the strength issue.

Better than nothing imo.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Probably difficult with COPD.

I too have COPD and I struggle with any training other than walking on the flat. Forget hills and stairs.

Luckily, I can still lift a beer or three.

Sorry to hear that.

I thought maybe light weights might have helped (a bit).

23 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Having been seriously ill for the past few months with pneumonia on top of my advanced COPD I’ve either been in hospital or housebound. 
But this past week I’ve been feeling a lot better so we decided to try going out for the first time in many a week so off to Robinsons. Very easy to access in the wheelchair from the carpark as were Amazon, the ATM and all the other outlets inside so full marks. 

So we then thought about lunch in one of our regular cafes we used to visit and came to the conclusion that not one of them was wheelchair friendly in the slightest. Most of them had at least 2 steps to climb, when fit and able they pose no problem whatsoever and it never enters your head they they would be a problem but suddenly when even 1 step is your nemesis getting into them becomes a major headache. And even if getting up them it still means leaving the wheelchair outside which isn’t a sensible idea. At one there are no steps but you would need to push the wheelchair over a lot of mini pebbles which isn’t the easiest of things to do. But not one of them has a ramp of any description for people like me. As I say it never enters your head until it does become a problem and then well it means not getting in without a lot of difficulty.

I can probably walk 10-20 paces unaided  but even just 1 step becomes a major obstacle, it’s not the lifting of the foot but pushing yourself up with other that is. Hopefully in the future I might overcome this but currently there are now a lot of places that are simply unavailable to me and those like me and I would really love to get back into those cafes where we were once regular customers. 

I can understand your problems. Did you ever considered to buy a stair climbing wheelchair? There are a lot of different brands and models and I think quite affordable.. Good luck.😊

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I would want here with any kind of physical disability is lots of money. Need a house with a large yard and swimming pool. Most things would get delivered. Day trips would be to places that were accessible like beaches or national parks that were researched beforehand, or beach road type nightlife. Going to the corner noodle stall three times a day would be a thing of the past.

OP said "we", so I assume he has a spouse or whatnot, so make and appointment for you and your spouse with a physical therapist and have the therapist teach her to get you up and down the stairs in the chair, and not to be embarrassed to ask others for help, but it is important for her to know how to do it, and how to use the help. 

Also, get some forearm-crutches. Do not dick around with canes and underarm crutches and whatnot. A good forearm crutch is almost as good as a handrail. Take the crutches with you when you see the PT and they'll fit you and show you how, and let you practice getting up and down stairs safely. 

It is terrifying at first, but going from chair, to crutches to crutch is amazing...

crutches.jpg.eebdb7f61c0f91e9b72dba27115c6d31.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 1:27 PM, Classic Ray said:

Pavements are continually obstructed and in poor condition for wheelchairs/push chairs. Even metro like BTS and MRT not accessible by escalator as they have several steps at the bottom to guard the mechanism against flooding.

Even many stations have no elevator/lift, due to BTS not being paid to install them by BMA, contrary to Thai disability discrimination laws. 

Most public buildings and stores not accessible, all have steps.

Not safe to cross roads in a wheelchair, even at crossings as drivers don’t stop.

Very little attention given to disability here, I think the Government hope most disabled people stay at home.

So true . Yesterday after leaving a hospital I had to wait 5 minutes to cross a busy road . All clear when I started to walk but then 2 motor bike came from nowhere at speed and passed me on both sides of me whilst I am on the crossing . This is an almost unlawful country . I have yet to see a decent pavement with unbroken slabs , steep access or wheelchair friendly .

Op has my full sympathy .

• Like 1

Thailand has no infrastructure or understanding for the disabled, my bank has 2 flights of stairs. 

Another bank when my disabled mate with MND had lose the use of all muscles was trying to open an account with just his thumb print ( which is actually possible) the manager insisted he try to sign his name obviously he couldn't he was told to go home and practice. I was very close to smacking the guy in the face.       RIP Jeff.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thailand has no infrastructure or understanding for the disabled, my bank has 2 flights of stairs. 

Another bank when my disabled mate with MND had lose the use of all muscles was trying to open an account with just his thumb print ( which is actually possible) the manager insisted he try to sign his name obviously he couldn't he was told to go home and practice. I was very close to smacking the guy in the face.       RIP Jeff.

What a sad experience . Heartless , xxxhole bank manager . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/7/2024 at 2:32 PM, poppysdad said:

Robinsons in KPP is a great example of a mall where access, is good and flat on all floors, though I have no idea where the lifts are.

Outside I use a walking stick and I can manage maybe 50 metres before I need to stop.

In the big village near where I live, there is only 1 shop I have a problem with and that is because it has a ramp and not steps. I can get up the ramp and back down very slowly. I used to hold my wife's shoulder for balance.

What I do find in Thailand, especially in rural areas is that Thais will always help me if I need it. open doors etc, load stuff into the truck. Even the car park and the security guys will find a parking slot and help me.

• Thumbs Up 2