Aquarium water - village water or bottled ?

A few weeks ago the kids came back from the local fair with a couple of fish in a plastic bag. Seems they won them at one of the stalls throwing hoops or something.  

Anyway the upshot was we got a small tank and then all the bits to go with it that make up an aquarium.

We got the usual plastic plant and stones for the floor and a small water filter system and an air bubble machine and the fish seemed to be quite content.

Getting a bit over confident with our fish keeping ability we got some extra fish from the local pet store to keep our original fish from the fair company.

Unfortunately over the weeks some of the original fish and all the ones from the store have all died 😞

Have done some Googling and followed the advice and was wondering about the conditioners you can get to add to the water.

Are these products any good and do they work? Also does it matter what water is used in the tank?

At the present we use bottle drinking water as it doesn't have chlorine or whatever as the village water would have, 

Any information from successful aquarium owners welcome. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/seachem-prime-prime-complete-and-concentrated-conditioner-for-both-fresh-and-saltwater-i2864221775-s17483936881.html? 

Water.jpg.3fb3646251ea9867c40dd33a8d612603.jpg

We have two bowls in the garden. Neighbour gave us some of his fish and some of the weed that grows quickly. Fill and top-up with hose pipe. Fish multiply like mad. Only use the cheapest fish food from Big C. Nothing else.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle and how it applies to a new aquarium:  You need to start with a very small number of fish for the first thirty days or so while the tank cycles. Once it is mature, you can add fish. If you have too many fish in a new tank, the ammonia produced by their waste will kill them before it can be broken down into nitrites (less toxic) and then nitrates (even less toxic) by bacteria. It takes time for the population of bacteria to grow to the level necessary to consume the ammonia and nitrates.

As a general rule of thumb, it is advisable to remove between 10 and 20 percent of the water in an aquarium and replace it with fresh water each week. I have used Bangkok tap water and have not had any issues. I suspect village water will be ok as the chloramine used to treat the water has probably dwindled to negligible amounts while sitting in the cistern or tank at your house. 

Also, there is a limit to how many fish can be accommodated in a tank and it depends upon the amount of surface area and aeration provided.

It is quite common for fish bought in the market to have parasites and fungal infections. I may be best to keep new fish separate in a solution of anti-fungal medication for a day or so.

There is a lot of info available on the internet, so do some checking and I think you'll find lots of answers.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

Wow ! Your  village water has chlorine? Ours has washing soda in bulk to  get the  mud, fish eggs and fish and  maybe missing mil's  to settle to the resevior  bottom which results in a gell substance that renders a  simple filter  blocked within a day !

Thanks all for your feedback.

I have been getting lots of good info from Google and every little helps.

Seems village or bottle water doesn't really matter, guess its' all just water.

Anyway hoping for better luck with my fish in the future

:smile: 

17 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Wow ! Your  village water has chlorine? Ours has washing soda in bulk to  get the  mud, fish eggs and fish and  maybe missing mil's  to settle to the resevior  bottom which results in a gell substance that renders a  simple filter  blocked within a day !

I change our POI filter every week......it seems the mud supplied from the village wells occasionally get contaminated with water.

• Haha 1

Most fish die because you add too many too quickly , and also feed too much,

designate one person to feed them ,just a couple of times per day ,and what

they can eat in say 10 mins.change 25 % of the water once a week ,fill a bucket

up ,aerate while filling ,let it stand and change water next day.

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...