Stale beer

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Archa is the preferred beer of the cheap charlie, even the Leo drinkers look down on them.

Russian beer is underrated, Baltica no.5 for example, sadly need to fly there to get it now

Can still buy it in the Supermarkets in NZ. Unless it's all been sold/run out of stock. 

It wasn't a bad drop. But I think the stuff was Baltica no. 9.  Huge cans too at 900ml 

I don't drink beer, its not that I don't like it, it doesn't like me. It has me running to the loo every five minutes about half way down the bottle.  A good Gin, Rum or Whiskey and I'm fine for the evening. Wouldn't touch the stuff in the day time. Each to their own.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I don't drink beer, its not that I don't like it, it doesn't like me. It has me running to the loo every five minutes about half way down the bottle.  A good Gin, Rum or Whiskey and I'm fine for the evening. Wouldn't touch the stuff in the day time. Each to their own.

Going to the loo is good. You are pissing in out of your body after the alcohol gives you a buzz. You don't want beer sitting in your body. All cheap beer is, is a carrier for the alcohol.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Must be the only beer with a best before date over here then. Most have fill dates.

You're right, I was looking at it the wrong way round, it is the fill date. 100124...🤗

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 3:51 PM, proton said:

Nobody drinks beer for the taste....

......is the incorrect answer. I do and some Thais I know do. You would be correct in asserting that many drink for the sake of intoxication but not all. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Very watery taste. Terrible

Carabau tastes 'orrible.....😝

Archa hasn't got a lot of flavour, but for me is very refreshing.  I think Thais add a dash of Lao Khao................😝

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Carabau tastes 'orrible.....😝

Archa hasn't got a lot of flavour, but for me is very refreshing.  I think Thais add a dash of Lao Khao................😝

Agreed.... I tried Carabau the other day for the first time....   'orrible is the word - way to malty for my tastes.

7-11 (In Bangkok) now sells a couple of good beers from the Fullmoon  Brew works in Phuket - very good IPA beers (IMO).

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 16.36.34.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 16.38.05.png

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Up here in Maechan there is an off licence that sells several beers , some from japan and some from Lao. I buy their Beerlao , not cheap maybe at 70 B for a small botle but so much better than Chang at 50 for a large one. None left in the fridge , must call in for a brew for tonight as the sun sets behind the smog.

Beerlao IPA is nice. Worth paying a little extra if you can get it. Snowy IPA is good too if you like the New England style and is available in 7/11 at a reasonable price.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.... I tried Carabau the other day for the first time....   'orrible is the word - way to malty for my tastes.

7-11 (In Bangkok) now sells a couple of good beers from the Fullmoon  Brew works in Phuket - very good IPA beers (IMO).

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 16.36.34.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 16.38.05.png

Not seen those in our 7/11 yet. Aren't they a bit expensive though?

Beer is definitely a personal taste item.  I would never lambaste someone for stating a beer they personally like (even Archa drinkers... which in my opinion is (almost) as bad a Bud).

Have tried all (most it would appear from the pics I have seen in this thread).  Full Moon is NOT my taste, for example.  Stella is - on a HOT day when a light beer is thirst quenching.

But people, if you can get a Lao IPA (ask your 7-11 - they carry it in some markets).  Try one.  Well worth the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Saw this shop in Antwerp (Belgium) and thought I'd died and ended up in heaven.  

20160401_103852.thumb.jpg.0c404dddd264d75b1b49a832c7a3c3d5.jpg20160401_103918.thumb.jpg.94c191b878517c676d122a3e2e4622b2.jpg

There are some nice Belgian beer emporiums in Vientiane. They're not afraid to charge though.

4 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Not seen those in our 7/11 yet. Aren't they a bit expensive though?

I think they're about 85 baht for a can (500ml).... given the quality, where we are and what else is available from a craft beer perspective its relatively good value... 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think they're about 85 baht for a can (500ml).... given the quality, where we are and what else is available from a craft beer perspective its relatively good value... 

I've only seen Full Moon beers in Tops and they're in the 159bht range. Hopefully our 7/11 will start to stock them.

Edited by Baht Simpson

7 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Beer is definitely a personal taste item.  I would never lambaste someone for stating a beer they personally like (even Archa drinkers... which in my opinion is (almost) as bad a Bud).

I take that line too. I'll occasionally have a Chang or Singh with the locals to be sociable. I don't find them offensive, just rather neutral. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved craft beer in the USA. I never got into it in Thailand, as I viewed it as overpriced which is a huge turn off.

Strange since the price is still about what I would pay in the USA without much hesitation.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I loved craft beer in the USA. I never got into it in Thailand, as I viewed it as overpriced which is a huge turn off.

Strange since the price is still about what I would pay in the USA without much hesitation.

U.S. craft beer is a minefield. 

Just having a cold Leo, production date 6 Mar 24.  It's always good if it's really cold... as any beer should be. 

Yes didn't like Carabou lager, still looking for IPA.   Will get a case of Dunkel before Songkran starts. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi

Another thing to be careful of, other than the use by date.

If beer is chilled, then allowed to get hot again (power failure, taken out of the fridge), then re-chilled, it'll ruin the taste.

check your beer dates in bars also, if not supervised they tend to put the new beer in front of the old as it saves work and when then they get down to the old stuff it is well out of date.

I actually enjoy drinking 5% beers. Always drink IPA's , 1-2 and not   to much of a buzz just a good taste at 5pm.  Costs me 18$ (thats 660 baht at 36.7) for 12.  Lawnmower beers.  you can drink while mowing or working with power tools. 

Beer quality, price, selection is a strong negative about Thailand.  I always preferred Singha ss the least offensive swill in Thailand. Changover is a fact.  I used to brew my own 10 gal batches.  Was offered a job as brew master from head brewer with owner of Epic brewery sitting there one night.   Should have taken the job.  It was pre divorce and required a move to my hometown of Denver as they were  opening their 2nd brewery with pub in a cool part of Denver   china virus shut it down. https://www.denverpost.com/2022/11/09/epic-brewing-closing-denver-rino/

I actually invented low alcohol IPA. Ir so I claim as no one was doing it. It was at this meeting where I proposed brewing a low ABV IPA.   Head brewer said no way.  He said In Utah everyone is asking for highpoint beers.   Now every brewery big or small has a low ABV IPA.   Its quite the skill to make a good one because one main character of a good IPA is a large mouthy malt taste. Mmm I made quite a good copy of  a famous recipe. SSoS.  .https://www.realbeer.com/hops/sister.html

Ive thought about firing up my brew pot again but the beer selection is quite excellent compared to 25 years ago, in this mormon place. Plus  when I had 5-9 beers on tap I was 5kg heavier than now.  10 more than 5 years ago 

All hard alcohol here in Utah is sold at state liqour stores.  Just recently you can buy < 5% drinks at grocery stores.  

I'm also a cold beer drinker. Near 1c! Ice in beer is blasphemy.  In Thailand I would put my bottle in the ice bucket.  Im only an afternoon ir evening drinker except in Sunday I believe you get extra karma if you crack a beer before noon when living here.  

Edited by Elkski

6 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes exactly. When they restocking the fridges they don't move the bottles from the back to the front. The other thing some bars do is turn the fridges off overnight and then on when they open. The fridge then has to work extra hard to chill the beer and use more electricity. At home my beer always goes from the fridge to the freezer for 30 minutes before I drink it, I like it ice cold. I also drink from a Yeti stainless steel tumbler which keeps the beer ice cold in these hot temperatures.

Agree, most bars have little idea about the importance of cold fresh beer .

OK, I try your 30 minutes in the freezer before consuming.

On 4/8/2024 at 6:30 PM, G Rex said:

My favourite drop changed fairly frequently , but I always seemed to return to good old Carlton Draught - from the tinnies, not the stubbies.  Carlton Cold was okay...  I don't know much about WA beers - other than Swan Dry (that was very popular about 40 years ago!! after we won the Americas' Cup).

On 4/8/2024 at 6:30 PM, G Rex said:

My favourite drop changed fairly frequently , but I always seemed to return to good old Carlton Draught - from the tinnies, not the stubbies.  Carlton Cold was okay...  I don't know much about WA beers - other than Swan Dry (that was very popular about 40 years ago!! after we won the Americas' Cup).

There's always the go to beer VB but I prefer Melbourne Bitter providing it's not out of date.

I bought a Budweiser at Big C the other day. It felt special like I was buying a treat. Brought back memories from the good old days in the USA. Next up am going to start doing some mixed drinks, like Campari & OJ. Reminds me of Italy. No Hong Thong, Wong, Ching Chong, whatever.

I don't really like the crap they serve in Thailand. It's just the only thing around usually. One guy near me drinks a large Leo every day. Seems crazy. Life is too short to drink large Leo's 🤣. Wong Chong Hong. Johnny Walker Black Soda Ping Pong Fried Rice.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once upon a time, I did a safety audit ( outside consultant   ) for one of Australia's biggest beer manufacturers, Carlton and United Breweries.

The Chief Chemist there told me the shelf life of bottled and canned beer was 3-6 months, 6 months in a cold climate, 3 months or less in a hot climate.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:36 PM, Dionigi said:

check your beer dates in bars also, if not supervised they tend to put the new beer in front of the old as it saves work and when then they get down to the old stuff it is well out of date.

I had a bottle of Tiger in a bar the other night that smelled like someone had stepped on a skunk.  They must have aged it out in the sun since last Songkran.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I had a bottle of Tiger in a bar the other night that smelled like someone had stepped on a skunk.  They must have aged it out in the sun since last Songkran.

You'd probably be right... not a popular drink round these parts. 

Would have more luck getting fresh Tiger in Singapore and you run the gauntlet trying to reminisce here. 

I've done the same, seen a beer that I hadn't for a while. Bought it and then wondered why it didn't taste the same from memory.