Stale beer

During the pandemic I noticed many food products on shelves were past their best-by-date (BBD), although none were as bad as bottled beer.  After all, most dry packaged products, even cheeses, are perfectly ok beyond the BBD.  Especially cheese, which was often discounted by up to 50%, win win! ☺️

Bottled beer however, goes off, becomes tainted, in about 6 to 8 weeks especially if it's transported and stored in high temperatures.  Ever since Covid I've checked beer freshness prior to purchase at various stores and the results are alarming.  Whilst my observations relate to Chiang Mai stores the same applies across the country to most stockists.

BigC, Makro, Tops, GoWholesale and Rimping all have beer in stock which is well past 6 weeks old.  I've bought Beer Laos by the bottle only to discard it before noticing each bottle is marked with a production date. 

The worst offenders are the major stockists holding many pallets of brew.  Singha has either the highest turnover or freshest supply and with a local brewery perhaps the latter.  I don't buy any beer unless it's within 4 weeks of production date as marked on the case.

GoWholesale takes 1st prize for the oldest beer stocks I've seen since the pandemic with Archa beer at 6 months old!  Some of the Chang stock was also 1923 vintage.   Hops and alcohol are natural preservatives but AFAIK, Archa has a low hops to rice ratio which would make it susceptible to spoiling much faster.

image.png.8be6becf32aafc0d1c554cd2ac3f5a9d.png

• Like 2

Just checked in the fridge,two bottles of beer,1 year over date!

Worst thing is,i have no hair otherwise i could use it as shampoo.

Also found a bottle of wine that was given to us over a year ago,we had one little drink from it,should i toss that?

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I am not interested in who drinks it, or its % of alcohol, only piss heads are...😂

I assume you are a piss head then......:drunk:...........😁

Nobody drinks beer for the taste and most Thai beers have almost none, Red Horse is best 8% 75 baht a can, Lao dark, cheers extra and Tapper. I'd only drink Chang and Archa if it was free

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, proton said:

Nobody drinks beer for the taste and most Thai beers have almost none, Red Horse is best 8% 75 baht a can, Lao dark, cheers extra and Tapper. I'd only drink Chang and Archa if it was free

Carabau lager is OK, @ Bht 54 for 620 ml bottle by the case.

1 minute ago, transam said:

Not tried that, yet...But, to be honest, box of 12 Archa at 580 bht a case, does me...😉

Can't complain at that.  Dunkel is about 640 a case at Lotus'sss. Slightly more than Leo but a nicer product. 

A local Brit guy said it reminded him of a British bitter beer, Tetleys and another but I've forgotten it's name... Newcastle maybe? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

My local shop sells me Singha @ 680 baht/box.  

As it is not a big seller around here, she does not keep a lot in stock , so she doesn't have vast pallets of beer (like Chang) sitting in the sun for weeks on end , slowly stewing... 

As an Aussie I can tell you that heat and sun are the biggest killers of beer.  Beer goes 'foxy' very quickly if not stored properly.

There are several bars in our town that we will not go to, because their beer always tastes off.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, G Rex said:

My local shop sells me Singha @ 680 baht/box.  

As it is not a big seller around here, she does not keep a lot in stock , so she doesn't have vast pallets of beer (like Chang) sitting in the sun for weeks on end , slowly stewing... 

As an Aussie I can tell you that heat and sun are the biggest killers of beer.  Beer goes 'foxy' very quickly if not stored properly.

There are several bars in our town that we will not go to, because their beer always tastes off.

What's your favourite drop in Oz?  I'm looking at heading to WA (Moxy driver) within the next month. 

1 minute ago, Rotweiler said:

One of the absolute best tastes (available in TH) is LAO IPA.  Very nice blend of ale taste with a slightly hoppy head -  pour gently into a frosted mug.

I have been looking for this but not located it locally. 

I've tried the Dark and the Lager. 

May have to go into the city methinks.... 

2 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I have been looking for this but not located it locally. 

I've tried the Dark and the Lager. 

May have to go into the city methinks.... 

The IPA is very good.

2 hours ago, proton said:

Where do they sell Red Horse, like to give it a try. I normally drink Tapper which is ok, but only just ok. 

Found a craft beer shop near where I live and called in yesterday, they had many continental beers on draft and many bottles and cans of other superb beer, I settled on a bottle of Weihenstephaner Vitus at 7°, quality doesn't come cheap but at 250 Baht it was worth every penny.

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

What's your favourite drop in Oz?  I'm looking at heading to WA (Moxy driver) within the next month. 

My favourite drop changed fairly frequently , but I always seemed to return to good old Carlton Draught - from the tinnies, not the stubbies.  Carlton Cold was okay...  I don't know much about WA beers - other than Swan Dry (that was very popular about 40 years ago!! after we won the Americas' Cup).