Am seeking the low-down opening a business at Pattaya Beach legally

thesetat

You'll need to be a member of a Mafi, most things are under control of one Mafi or another here, I had an Idea many years ago to operate a small boat to take people to different beaches in my area, I was very quickly warned of the 'Taxi' songthaew Mafi would close me down very quickly.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

A while back there was a Dutch guy who had an interest in a jetski business on Pattaya beach. He bought the jetskis and a Thai guy rented them out and arranged repairs when needed. Presumably profits were shared somehow.

Every Christmas Day morning the Dutch guy dressed up as Father Christmas and rode up and down the coastline waving and shouting Merry Christmas to everybody. It warmed my heart, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think this kind of business startup is much easier in Cambodia. Many expats opened businesses there last time I was there (many) years ago in Sihanoukville. Russian bars on the beach etc. Reports say it changed with all the Chinese there, but the business regulations may be the same. There were guys who owned their bars downtown and on the water and it did not seem, superficially at least, that they were hassled at all or asked for money, etc. You still can't own the land however.

Edited by JimTripper

6 hours ago, geisha said:

Has anyone seen/ met a foreigner/American who has a beach business in Thailand ? I vaguely remember a French man who had a beach in Pattaya about 20 yrs back which was really his girlfriends/ wife.  Otherwise, being a former beach lover ( not in Pattaya!) I have been to many beautiful beaches all over Thailand , if not all, and have never seen a foreign run beach/ activity. 
I think in Phuket there were surf shops that rented their boards out, that’s all.

Met several who runs kiting schools and kite rent.

Diving and freediving schools, sup and kayak

But as most point out, I would not start any business in Thailand, to many obstacles, but if you are smart, have a productive partner and a partner you can trust, everything is possible if you are willing to work hard, and have a budget with big enough buffer, and know what you doing. 

8 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Perhaps you should be talking to a business consultant or an attorney if you are not satisfied with our services  😉

but that costs money and he needs to save every baht for his water sports  business, which will launch Pattaya into the water sports hub of Asia. 

7 hours ago, thesetat said:

these are the things i was asking about. In your comment you invariably gave me very little information I am seeking.. Now if only someone can tell me who in BIB is best to talk to.. What office in City Hall I need to go make inquiries, and which tax authorities. 

pretty obvious questions i asked yet you alone invariably gave me some small amount of what I was inquiring about. 

My advise is to see a lawyer.  

You are going to need a lawyer for the amity treaty part anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Despite your arrogance in responses, the fact you have to come on a forum to ask random people how to set up your business does not bode well for your success

i did not ask them how... i asked them where to go and who to talk to... the offices and people i need so i can learn what requirements are needed and to assess the feasibility of doing it. My responses are only arrogant to the people who make comments like the one below

18 minutes ago, thesetat said:

Why do people with no business experience come here and decide to open a business which they have no experience in?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Why do people with no business experience come here and decide to open a business which they have no experience in?

I did and it was successful for many years, if you're smart anything is possible.

OP, I ran a legal business (not a bar/hotel/restaurant) with my Thai wife as the owner, but it was me that set it up and maintained it, no work permit, no police payoffs, no "mafia" extortion money.  I don't know about the US/Thailand amenity workings, but I don't know we went to city hall on Pattaya Nua to get our business license. 

DM me if you want other info.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, simon43 said:

IMHO, the OP has a death wish......

I think as long as i am not interfering with the Mafia business. Not taking away their customers. Not infringing on their activity. They will leave me alone..

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Met a young foreign guy who started a kiteboarding school/ rental

A Thai guy he trained and opened his own, nicked some of his gear to

The farang said there was  enough business, but the required handouts to bent officials made

it not worthwhile and he closed down

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:44 AM, thesetat said:

treaty. AS i know it Americans still have the treaty allowing them to own 100% of business in Thailand. 

Owning a business is one thing. If you want to do anything yourself, you need a work permit (4 Thai employees) and a visa which allows you to work.

8 hours ago, thesetat said:

I agree, and why do people with no knowledge of another's past come here making stupid and baseless claims simply to try and make themselves look good? When really they have no clue themself and hide it trying to bash others

Go talk to a lawyer, they can help with all your questions and help you get all the paper work.

• Like 2

The last reply about a lawyer is the best so far. I personally feel, however, that the nay-sayers have some valid points. I worked here legally in a valid and registered International company for 40 years and still had hassles.

20 hours ago, champers said:

A while back there was a Dutch guy who had an interest in a jetski business on Pattaya beach. He bought the jetskis and a Thai guy rented them out and arranged repairs when needed. Presumably profits were shared somehow.

Every Christmas Day morning the Dutch guy dressed up as Father Christmas and rode up and down the coastline waving and shouting Merry Christmas to everybody. It warmed my heart, anyway.

and then one day, quite suddenly...

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

IMHO, the OP has a death wish......

I think most member's posts here have been shaded by their own, suboptimal life and work choices in Thailand.

That, and an overindulgence in anecdotal tales.