Am seeking the low-down opening a business at Pattaya Beach legally

thesetat

On 4/10/2024 at 2:41 PM, AustinRacing said:

Yeah. Before anything find out whether you’re allowed to own such a business. If yes, you’ll need to deal with the work permit if you wish to be engaged in running it. Lastly there are quite a few water related family places in pattaya. Starting a business that may be in conflict with another business with ties to local authorities (bribes) would not receive a warm welcome. Not an issue if you like dramas. 

I don't think there are any restrictions on what business you can set up, there certainly isn't an outright ban on foreigners owning any tourism related businesses , 

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The US-Thai Treaty of Amity allows US citizens to hold a majority of shares in companies engaging in certain business enterprises in which majority ownership is generally restricted to Thai citizens under the Foreign Business Act.

https://www.siam-legal.com

Gives not a bit of relevance. When officials demand handouts

• Confused 1

On 4/10/2024 at 8:17 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Best case scenario - you will be wildly succesful and 3 guys will copy your business the next day... 

Best case scenario is he just  loses all his money

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, thesetat said:

I think as long as i am not interfering with the Mafia business. Not taking away their customers. Not infringing on their activity. They will leave me alone.

like a lamb to the slaughter, What on earth gave you that idea?  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

The fact that you are openly  asking  for details  of officials to bribe,, and expect to be provided with this sort of information on a public forum  is just unbelievable, In fact considering the way things are at the moment ( do you keep up with the news at all? even just on here) Its so stupid I'm embarrassed for you to the extent that I can feel my buttocks clenching involuntarily.

Look , I'm Sorry to have to pi$$ on your parade  but you really are not cut out for this it would be better all round if you just gave all your money to charity,... or me

Seems you are making any excuse to get free handouts.. Perhaps standing on a street corner would get you what you need. My op said nothing about who to make bribes to. 

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

Seems you are making any excuse to get free handouts.. Perhaps standing on a street corner would get you what you need. My op said nothing about who to make bribes to. 

So what did you mean by "local payoffs" ?    I don't need free hand outs, but as you seem to  be determined to  throw your money away what does it matter to you who you give it to,  Ironic that you mention standing on street corners,  that is exactly where you are heading, if you are lucky

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2024 at 1:23 PM, thesetat said:

Does anyone have the nitty gritty on the who and what offices I would need to speak to and visit to open a small business outdoors on the beach in Pattaya. IE: Police to speak to, office to obtain permissions, local payoffs, anything that is serious and would aid would be helpful. Also, perhaps an insurance waiver form to make for customers. Any help to get me started with the correct information would be helpful. Thanks

Can PM if wanting to also 

Marine Department, they owns the beaches in Thailand. You'll need their permission to use "their land", and the might be able to guide you about whatever other permissions you need. You still need to set up a company limited for the purpose, if you are doing it as a foreigner – even when being an American – and you will still need the correct number of Thai employees, depending of type of business and BOI possibilities, for work permit for a foreigner.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Marine Department, they owns the beaches in Thailand. You'll need their permission to use "their land", and the might be able to guide you about whatever other permissions you need. You still need to set up a company limited for the purpose, if you are doing it as a foreigner – even when being an American – and you will still need the correct number of Thai employees, depending of type of business and BOI possibilities, for work permit for a foreigner.

Thanks... i will surely have my hands full in my time there in Pattaya.. The business I am considering would need 4 thai employees anyway... Which is another thing i will need to address if I find it feasible to make the type of business i am considering. At any rate. My thai wife can be owner of majority if it is too difficult to make me the full owner. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Far better off sticking whatever savings you have in some term deposit account in your own country.

Other than that, join the que of first timers in Thailand who see the need to help with finances to a first week relationship bar girl.

Far better off sticking whatever savings you have in some term deposit account in your own country.

Other than that, join the que of first timers in Thailand who see the need to help with finances to a first week relationship bar girl.

• Haha 1

OP's original thought was to open illegal business, as already plans to 'pay off locals'.

Please stay in the USA, as TH doesn't need more criminals :coffee1:

Or you could actually let your wife run it legally, and you simply play silent (very silent) partner.

• Confused 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:44 AM, thesetat said:

treaty. AS i know it Americans still have the treaty allowing them to own 100% of business in Thailand. 

do you ever wonder why this "treaty" is not much utilized?

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

OP's original thought was to open illegal business, as already plans to 'pay off locals'.

Please stay in the USA, as TH doesn't need more criminals :coffee1:

Or you could actually let your wife run it legally, and you simply play silent (very silent) partner.

I think you are being a bit naive....surely paying a bit of tea money is standard business practice here? I have heard a few bars claim they don't pay up.. but only few, and not particularly lucrative ones.

Hiding behind a wife's ownership is very common,

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I think you are being a bit naive....surely paying a bit of tea money is standard business practice here? I have heard a few bars claim they don't pay up.. but only few, and not particularly lucrative ones.

Hiding behind a wife's ownership is very common,

Obviously those needing to pay, aren't hiding very well.  If all your paperwork is legit, and you're not doing anything illegal, then it's easy to just say ... NO

If running a bar, playing western music without license, or have P4P folks there, then yes, to operate illegally, there's always a 'fee'.  Or they simple set up camp, until they see a violation, then shut you down for a month, or pay a huge fine.

Reads like OP wants to open a scooter rental shop, on surf side road.  Unless a proper building, with parking, he'll be paying "rent' to PoPo when they make their rounds.

I sat on suk rd (BKK) and watched them making their rounds with the street walkway vendors.  Stopping at each one, collecting 'rent' and issuing receipts.   Too funny, and I'm far from naïve.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/14/2024 at 8:27 AM, KhunLA said:

Obviously those needing to pay, aren't hiding very well.  If all your paperwork is legit, and you're not doing anything illegal, then it's easy to just say ... NO

If running a bar, playing western music without license, or have P4P folks there, then yes, to operate illegally, there's always a 'fee'.  Or they simple set up camp, until they see a violation, then shut you down for a month, or pay a huge fine.

Reads like OP wants to open a scooter rental shop, on surf side road.  Unless a proper building, with parking, he'll be paying "rent' to PoPo when they make their rounds.

I sat on suk rd (BKK) and watched them making their rounds with the street walkway vendors.  Stopping at each one, collecting 'rent' and issuing receipts.   Too funny, and I'm far from naïve.  

you are obviously not naive.. but instead you are very naive. Even if your business is 100% legit. The police can come and harass or make up something that would put you out of business. I am sure you want the police in your business every week checking customers and doing drug tests on everyone there. Either that or they will not be there when something happens and instead support the other guy. Either way your business will end up being closed. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2024 at 9:04 PM, thesetat said:

At any rate. My thai wife can be owner of majority if it is too difficult to make me the full owner. 

That would be the much easier route to take leave out the

(unwanted dirty ) foreigner  just let the Thai person handle all the hassles of which I'm sure there will still be many..best of luck to you.

39 minutes ago, thesetat said:

you are obviously not naive.. but instead you are very naive. Even if your business is 100% legit. The police can come and harass or make up something that would put you out of business. I am sure you want the police in your business every week checking customers and doing drug tests on everyone there. Either that or they will not be there when something happens and instead support the other guy. Either way your business will end up being closed. 

So you're the OP, seeking advice, when you already know it all ... :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 2