Thailand ranks 44th in global crime index

webfact

On 4/10/2024 at 5:45 AM, webfact said:

Thailand has ranked 44th in the Global Organized Crime Index, highlighting issues like human trafficking, arms trade, and copyright infringement. These challenges hinder cooperation within ASEAN and call for urgent action. Thailand is labeled a "hub" in these illicit activities, emphasizing the need for joint efforts.

Success as the Hub of Crime.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:45 AM, webfact said:

human trafficking, arms trade, and intellectual property violations

One of these does not belong in that list. Can you spot the odd one out?

On 4/10/2024 at 8:11 AM, Expat Tom said:

Interesting but misleading. First, there are many many crime index reports.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Numbeo is considered to have the most extensive data basis. 

They rank Thailand as 100th and ahead of the USA, the UK,

Italy, Belgium and France. Thailand is ranked safer and with less crime

than most European countries. 

So, choose your own index to follow. 

I have visited  more the 75 countries and lived for longer than

one year in Asia, North America, Europe, South America and Micronesia 

and no place is perfect. 

I am an American expat and have lived in Thailand for well over 10 years.

To each his own but, as for me, I am quite happy to be here. 

Numbeo is not entirely accurate. It uses no actual crime statistics or reports. 

The website uses surveys that anyone can do. The rankings Doesn't always reflect on the reality.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:44 AM, AjarnMartin said:

Hi ET, thanks so much for your introduction to this website. It’s certainly impressive and seems to be far better informed than alternative sites I have seen. 🙏🏻

That website is not entirely accurate. Doesn't use any actual crime statistics or reports for their rankings. 

They use surveys that anyone can do.

Most who do for thailand is farangs who have no clue how thailands crime and violence actually is like.

If you don't know thai you miss 90% of violence and crime happening in news

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:10 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of many videos which I saw from America, the land of the free.

For some crimes (I guess in some states) the police don't even try to find and arrest the criminals.

For other crimes, the police catch them and then the judges release the criminals on the same day. The same again the next day, and the next...

It seems in Thailand the police at least try to catch the bad guys - except of course those rich influential people.

Videos, which are usually posted by citizens, don't show anywhere near the real picture there. Crime is high yes,but also punishment. There is bail for most all offenses, and if you raise it, you're released, same as most anywhere. The difference here is the lack of enforcement of many crimes, and the weak punishment, as we've seen all along. People who don't live in the US don't know the whole picture and only go by a few news clippings and those videos.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:38 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think they don't arrest many people who would have been arrested for the same crime not too long ago because their prisons are maxed out. That tells us a lot about that country. 

Again, not living there you would only guess. People are arrested daily, all day long, all year long, for every crime imaginable. Depending on the severity of the crime, many will get probation. Doesn't mean they won't be arrested. Prisons are full but this doesn't mean punishment is lax. Those with a first offense usually get probation, supervised. Not let go with a 1000 baht fine with a wai. People guess all kinds of things about the US, without knowing much of anything besides what they see on the news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Unlike other countries right??? It is no longer a crime to steal or shoplift in the blue states of the USA if it is under $1000... no bail release for crimes are not even reported as crimes... Garbage In - Garbage Out... the reports mean nothing.

It's always a crime to shoplift anywhere in the US. It's a misdemeanor under $950. You can get 6 months in jail, a $1000 fine or both. Any prior convictions the prosecutor can make it a felony charge. Like another has mentioned, butt the truth is a whole lot different than what people think goes on there.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

It's always a crime to shoplift anywhere in the US. It's a misdemeanor under $950. You can get 6 months in jail, a $1000 fine or both. Any prior convictions the prosecutor can make it a felony charge. Like another has mentioned, butt the truth is a whole lot different than what people think goes on there.

HAHAHA... they are not prosecuting therefore it is not a crime... 

3 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

HAHAHA... they are not prosecuting therefore it is not a crime... 

Might want to research before you reply. Not to be harsh by any means, but a lot of people know very little of what goes on there besides videos. If you get arrested and convicted, it's a crime, and on your record, unless you're a juvenile. Those records are usually sealed for non violent crimes. Paying a fine means prosecuting that crime.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 hour ago, ta158 said:

That website is not entirely accurate. Doesn't use any actual crime statistics or reports for their rankings. 

They use surveys that anyone can do.

Most who do for thailand is farangs who have no clue how thailands crime and violence actually is like.

If you don't know thai you miss 90% of violence and crime happening in news

When I'm at my girlfriends we watch the news a lot, and she describes what is happening when I don't understand. Some crimes , being visual, you understand what's happening. Most people here will never know 99% of what goes on daily because the news stations don't get but a tiny percentage of the crimes that are happening, just as everywhere else.

44 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Might want to research before you reply. Not to be harsh by any means, but a lot of people know very little of what goes on there besides videos. If you get arrested and convicted, it's a crime, and on your record, unless you're a juvenile. Those records are usually sealed for non violent crimes. Paying a fine means prosecuting that crime.

New York's 'catch and release' policies fail to hold criminals accountable: police rep

'It's death by a thousand cuts,' NYC police union president says after migrants involved in NYPD beating flee city

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

When I'm at my girlfriends we watch the news a lot, and she describes what is happening when I don't understand. Some crimes , being visual, you understand what's happening. Most people here will never know 99% of what goes on daily because the news stations don't get but a tiny percentage of the crimes that are happening, just as everywhere else.

California Cops Frustrated With 'Catch-And-Release' Crime-Fighting

5 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

New York's 'catch and release' policies fail to hold criminals accountable: police rep

'It's death by a thousand cuts,' NYC police union president says after migrants involved in NYPD beating flee city

So you understand what it means, as it is here, there and most everywhere............https://www.cityandstateny.com/policy/2023/05/not-so-brief-guide-new-yorks-bail-reform-evolution/385379/

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:01 AM, fredwiggy said:

In Europe if gun violence or stabbings happens they report it, far majority gets on national news. 

I'm just saying the farangs who did that survey on that page hasn't got a single clue about the gun violence and murders in thailand. Most tourists and expats have no clue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ta158 said:

In Europe if gun violence or stabbings happens they report it, far majority gets on national news. 

I'm just saying the farangs who did that survey on that page hasn't got a single clue about the gun violence and murders in thailand. Most tourists and expats have no clue.

That's what I'm talking about. New broadcast here daily doesn't come close to the news broadcasted in just one city back home. Much of what we see here concerns traffic accidents, snakes, gold store thefts and 5 chasing one down the road armed with sticks or machetes. They look at what happens in the US concerning guns and not realize it's happening here also, a lot. Not the mass shootings, although they do happen here, but the people shot over minor things, not involving gangs, which is most gun crime in the US, along with suicides. Crimes involving knives and machetes far surpass anything like this in the US.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's what I'm talking about. New broadcast here daily doesn't come close to the news broadcasted in just one city back home. Much of what we see here concerns traffic accidents, snakes, gold store thefts and 5 chasing one down the road armed with sticks or machetes. They look at what happens in the US concerning guns and not realize it's happening here also, a lot. Not the mass shootings, although they do happen here, but the people shot over minor things, not involving gangs, which is most gun crime in the US, along with suicides. Crimes involving knives and machetes far surpass anything like this in the US.

Exactly, people are shot over most minor stuff in thailand, and youth violence is rampant, stabbing and shooting at slightest provocation. Or just big groups of them riding around at night looking for people to attack or shoot for fun. 

And thailand barely has gangs like USA. Most shootings and stabbings in thailand are results of random altercations on the streets or provocations. 

Just look at Songkran now, there's lots of lots of stabbings and shootings because of petty stuff and drunken violence. And most tourists and expats have no clue, I saw many faramgs was upset 2 farangs was fighting in phuket during Songkran that they brought with them "western culture" but have no clue about the shootings and general violence across thailand

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Also the shootings that have happend now during Songkran, from those I seen from news, almost every shooting had innocent people hit by stray bullets. Alot of the shootings was with more than one injury or death as well.