NATO should recruit Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Japan, and more, ex-commander says

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Then-Nato Supreme Allied Commander Europe US Admiral James Stavridis at a press conference in 2009. Photo: AFP

Former Nato supreme allied commander James Stavridis suggested the military alliance recruit Asia-Pacific countries that share ‘its vision of freedom’

His list of potential allies with a similar view on democracy, liberty and human rights also included Australia, New Zealand and South Korea

The Nato military alliance should consider broadening its membership to include Asia-Pacific nations, said a former Nato supreme allied commander.

“Nato should think about recruiting a few new members from outside its traditional boundaries,” retired US Navy Admiral James Stavridis wrote in a Bloomberg opinion piece on Monday.

Stavridis served as the military alliance’s chief from 2009 to 2013. Before that, he was the Commander of the US Southern Command from 2006 to 2009, where he oversaw military operations in Latin America.

Widening Nato’s membership, Stavridis wrote, was a necessary response to the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East, the Russia-Ukraine war, US-China tensions, and the territorial dispute in the South China Sea.

In his opinion piece, Stavridis suggested recruiting Asia-Pacific countries “that share the alliance’s vision of freedom, democracy, liberty and human rights”. That list of potential allies included countries like Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea.

Full story: South China Morning Post 2024-04-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

Splendid idea for Thailand. In this way they will get their subs with MTU engines. And Leopards, Taurus and all the stuff they were eying on.🙏

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

The NZ government may not have supported its military to the extent that it could have, I would add. 

Never has since Vietnam started. We were wearing British battle dress from WW2 when I joined, and the facilities were a bad joke. I just accepted it at the time as didn't know any different, but most of us were in for US clothing if we could get it.

If there was anything that exemplified the farce of NZ made equipment it was wearing JG's while out in the snow ( thin cotton fabric with no insulating properties at all meant for wearing in the tropical jungle ), waterproof jacket and over trousers that didn't keep the rain out, and the infamous snail pack, which was complete garbage.

Never really improved in the decade plus that I was in.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

39 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Only if there is a Thai ladies brigade.....😅

A Katoey Brigade with their stiletto heels in hand would scare the hell out of me bit like the Gurkhas

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

You are correct NATO was created to contain the old Soviet Union and should have just naturally faded away.  Unfortunately Putin seems hell bent on recreating the old USSR it making NATO just as relevant today as it ever was. The only thing that will stop Putin is an overwhelming show of force if he thinks he might lose or get a bloody nose he will not start or back down just like any other bully.

Putin is counting on Chump winning and then helping in the attack on Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

Haha, what a joke, everyone knows that Thailand is Chinas puppet. If China says jump, than Thailand says yes Master and jumps 🤣

As do one or two other countries around the area.

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organisation

The commodore must have been missing that particular class in geography - unless, of course, the local goons moved Thailand to the Atlantic ...... wonders never seize 😉 

"never cease" but point taken. 

5 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Yea because Hong Kong really wants to be part of China. It shows how influenced you are by Chinese propaganda. Didn't you mention you are living in China? Why did China have to use force in Hong Kong?

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Putin didn't want to play by the rules. He didn't want to go through the normal NATO membership application process like other countries. That already shows his attitude. The funny thing is he said he wanted to be treated equally. But what he asked for is the exact opposite. He has a twisted mind. Of course NATO wouldn't accept him under the given circumstances and the history of Russias threat to the west.

You are confusing cause and reaction. The US isn't putting troups somewhere because they think it's funny. They put them in response to a threat. China has threatened Taiwan before the US ever helped Taiwan. The origin is the Chinese civil war which made the old Chinese government flee to what is now Taiwan. The US has an agreemend to defend Taiwan. Nobody is threatening or thinking about invading China. China is on the other hand threatening Taiwan with invasion and recently has several times violated Taiwans sovereignty regarding their airspace.

And I’m the one influenced by propaganda? Lol. With the exception of a few irrelevant island states, the whole world, including the US recognises Taiwan as part of the People’s Republic of China. Tell me, how can you violate your own airspace?

The losing Kuomintang army under CKS retreated to Taiwan. If Taiwan was a sovereign state, then that would mean that the KMT invaded another country, won’t it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Surasak said:

As do one or two other countries around the area.

China still has a long way to go before it can compete with the US as to number of vassal states under its command.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I served with NATO Forces suggesting Thailand should be considered is an utter joke having lived in the kingdom for nearly 20 years and knowing a couple of ex army personnel it just would not work 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

And I’m the one influenced by propaganda? Lol. With the exception of a few irrelevant island states, the whole world, including the US recognises Taiwan as part of the People’s Republic of China. Tell me, how can you violate your own airspace?

You are confusing officially recognizing Taiwan and not doing so in order to not open confrontation with China. It's a careful dance. The EU for example has informal diplomatic relationships with Taiwan. Why would they need that if they already have official ones with China?

Tell me, if Taiwan is just part of China then why is the military of mainland China never completely entering Taiwan? Why are they threatening to take it by force? Why are they speaking of re-unification if it's already part of China?

Are citizens of Taiwan allowed to vote in mainland China elections? No? Why not?

It's just utter denial of reality. The Taiwanese people want to be left alone and it's just the threat of force by China that keeps them in limbo.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Agree 1

Excuse me Mr. Ex-commander isn't that what supporting countries do when there's an imminent World War. 

How about getting SEATO back up and running; not sure if Pakistan would be a starter.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Only problem is that Thailand is no democracy, and has no liberty, no human rights and no vision of freedom... Examples more over as look in prisons how they deal with inmates, the Thaksin soap, and of course the coming dissloving of the MFP and the refusal of Pita as PM....and many more

And Thailand always claiming a 'neutral' position.

• Agree 1