Why Only a Visa Debit Card?

I was trying to book a hotel in the UK through Agoda but they only accept Visa debit or credit cards. Why can that be? I have three debit cards. all Mastercards.

Anyone know why? Anyone else have this problem?

No point in going to booking.com when you reply to them, the answer comes back saying that the email address does not exist.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

Strange.  I booked a hotel on Agoda, in Thailand, yesterday and used a UK based MasterCard debit card.

When I try to put my UK Mastercard no in it just says put in Visa. It wont accept anything else.

5 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I was trying to book a hotel in the UK through Agoda but they only accept Visa debit or credit cards. Why can that be? I have three debit cards. all Mastercards.

No point in going to booking.com when you reply to them, the answer comes back saying that the email address does not exist.

No, not a clue, I have been doing it for years with no problem. Maybe it's personal.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Are you sure that you're definitely using the official Agoda website and not some scammy replica that is just trying to farm your card details?

Yes I am sure as I finally got it.

13 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Same with me. Accepted U.K. debit card Mastercard.

I wrote a long answer to you and it just disappeared of my screen. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

I had a similar problem a coupla months back when booking domestic flights with my MasterCard debit card. When it came to payment I got "We were unable to process payment".

I asked my granddaughter in UK to make the same booking with her credit card and it sailed through.

Recently I booked further domestic flights with my MasterCard debit card on the same booking site. This time it was successful.

The site begins with O and ends in o.

Whatever the glitch was it seems to be fixed

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

You are obviously doing something wrong. Alternatively they are worried you won't show up.

Visa is more popular than Mastercard, market share is 48% vs 36%. Acceptance also varies by country. In the UK, Mastercard comes in third behind Visa and PayPal.

54 minutes ago, george said:

Yes, you can.

Thank you.

I haven't been to the UK in 20 years,

I dumped all my UK bank accounts and credit/debit cards years ago.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:34 PM, NoshowJones said:

Thanks George but I can assure you it only accepts Visa.

I have just found out that it is the hotel who only accepts Visa.

• Confused 1