Drinking Driving Lawyer?

CanadaSam

I occasionally use my own car to return from a club/bar after a couple beers, never really intoxicated.

But I have noticed lately an increase in "road blocks" at night in Pattaya/Jomtien.

In the event that a cop smells beer on my breath, I know I am in for a world of hurt.

Not really comfortable with the paying procedure, wouldn't even know what to offer!

Does anybody know of a reasonably priced lawyer who takes these cases (at night preferably).

Alternatively, some lessons on how and where to offer , and the expected amount would be insightful.

Thanks in advance!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 11
  • Haha 1

Someone hijack your account? only hours ago about the soi 4 dumper... more respect for the soi 4 guy than this non-sense

For those of you that think this if funny, think of it as another nail in the wall for all foreigners being blamed and punished for the tiniest of infractions, it will affect you, so I suggest you stop laughing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I occasionally use my own car to return from a club/bar after a couple beers, never really intoxicated.

But I have noticed lately an increase in "road blocks" at night in Pattaya/Jomtien.

In the event that a cop smells beer on my breath, I know I am in for a world of hurt.

Not really comfortable with the "bribing" procedure, wouldn't even know what to offer!

Does anybody know of a reasonably priced lawyer who takes these cases (at night preferably).

Alternatively, some lessons on how and where to offer a bribe, and the expected amount would be insightful.

Thanks in advance!

You can just circumvent the checkpoints. Once you figure out how, you can drive from Na Jomtien to Walking Street without any police checkpoints.

What also works great: Hire a motorbike taxi guy to drive your car for the checkpoint stretch. 👌

Procedure you would do in a PC game like Minecraft: You tell the guy who stops you in that game an amount around 20k and he will very likely agree. You can also ask the guy in the game for a pen and a paper and write down the amount, that is what I did in the game and it worked.

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

Pay a roadside "fine" of 20,000 Baht is typical (5,000 Baht for Thais). Barber was talking with me about this today - 3rd road checkpoints. 

Agree with others above. It is so easy with Grab and Bolt that there is no reason to drive.

• Like 2

There is an app in playstore called 'Traffic D เดือนด่าน' which could help, not with a lawyer, but Thais report check point locations to warn others. It will highlight them in Google maps for you if you can't read the location in Thai.

As others have said though, it makes little sense to drink drive in Pattaya when there's taxis available. Rather than drink drive, I prefer to stay at a cheap hotel near where I'm drinking and drive back in the morning instead. 

• Thanks 2

Dam, Thought it was  Bob Smith thread. :giggle:

Ps, Just a thought, can't you get one of them self test machines.

If under Thai limit drive home , if over limit  leave car / bike at drinking hole.

Car bike maybe gone when you go back next day.

so as they say in Thailand,  up to you.

Maybe go for the least expensive option in the long run,

a  Taxi. :jap:

Edited by quake
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sherwood said:

Plenty of drink driving lawyer's in Thailand.

Most of them seem to stay out of trouble I would imagine.

Yes, There drinking buddies are the local police and magistrates.

never a problem for them.

Edited by quake

I'm guessing that many of the replies that say "don't drink and drive" are from poor expats who don't own even a motorcycle, let alone a car.

I explicitly said "never intoxicated" I just wanted to know, if I had a beer, and the cop smelt beer on my breath, how to avoid the obvious lengthy inconvenience after.

I appreciate the 2 helpful replies thus far, alien & quake, and find those answers helpful.

To those of you who wrongly accuse me of driving while drunk, I hope you manage to get a vehicle in the near future.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I'm guessing that many of the replies that say "don't drink and drive" are from poor expats who don't own even a motorcycle, let alone a car.

I explicitly said "never intoxicated" I just wanted to know, if I had a beer, and the cop smelt beer on my breath, how to avoid the obvious lengthy inconvenience after.

I appreciate the 2 helpful replies thus far, alien & quake, and find those answers helpful.

To those of you who wrongly accuse me of driving while drunk, I hope you manage to get a vehicle in the near future.

Basically avoid the checkpoints and use the back streets. The checkpoints are always in the same place.

Outside Tony's gym.

At the junction with the Pratumnak on the Thrapaya road.

At the roundabout near Terminal 21. I don't know of any others

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Having or not having a vehicle is nowt to do with offering advice. 

We all like to have an ale or 2.  Sometimes it can extend to even more. 

Your point that if the police smell beer on your breath, you could be in trouble suggests then that it would be wiser to take a taxi.  Best safe than sorry? 

I don't know how many times we hear on Traffic Police shows (TV) when people are stopped at Booze Bus checkpoints, "I've only had a couple".  Then go on to blow double or triple the limit. 

Good that you know your limits, but over here I'd be extra safe/cautious.  Any accident occurs where they smell alcohol, you're for the high jump....forget insurance. 

STAY SAFE 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Not really comfortable with the paying procedure, wouldn't even know what to offer!

Alternatively, some lessons on how and where to offer , and the expected amount would be insightful.

Thanks in advance!

Just don't drink and drive. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

You may not be exactly drunk when you are driving, but your driving will still be impaired, Stop drinking and driving and think of the safety of others.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

I am not accusing you of driving while drunk, I am saying your driving will be impaired and you are putting other innocent people in danger.

STOP DRINKING AND DRIVING.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Thanks in advance!

OP is an idiot, which Thailand doesn't need here. There are already too many Thai idiots in the country, they don't need any more to come here. Should be banned and deported if cops catch anyone drinking and driving a vehicle.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, stoner said:

im asking for a friend really.

Or asking for "a friend of a friend", like some poster in the visa section from 2-3 days ago