What happens if old Farang dies in Thailand having made zero preparations? (Better?)

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting. I don't know if you're into genealogy but I've found that cemetery records of family burials (known as grave re-openers in U.K.) helpful in my research. Unfortunately, the modern trend of cremation and scattering ashes results in less information to work with. My Thai Mrs informs me that I'm going into the family column at our nearby temple. I'm curious if that produces some searchable public record? I've tried asking Thai family but they don't seem to understand what I'm asking and why I would want to know!       

I'm not into genealogy. I know the family history back to the 1900s. My parents both came from Oldham in Lancashire, so my paternal grandparents and most other relatives are buried in the Mostyn RC cemetery in Manchester. Notable amongst those is my mother's uncle, who had the rare distinction of being denounced from the pulpit during Mass! He used to play the piano in the picture houses to accompany the silent films, a practice which was apparently regarded as sinful. I am extremely proud of him!

My mother's family moved down to Dagenham to find work at Fords during the depression. Accordingly they are buried in the RC Cemetery near South Ockenden. My parents are buried in Bath where they settled when they married.

I really don't go any further back than that - My paternal Grandmother came from Cork in Ireland at the turn of the last century as a child. In theory that should enable me to claim an Irish passport, although searching birth records in County Cork for a Francess Murphy may be a long-winded process!

My father was a "historian" ( he had a degree in it and taught it to A level). His main speciality was American history from the Revolution up to the Civil War, but he also was a member of the "Recusant Society" (Recusants were those who refused to follow the formation of the Church of England during the times of Henry VIII, Edward and Elizabeth I.) His branch of the family had been fined off their lands in Herefordshire and Shropshire for Recusancy (only the real upper classes were imprisoned or executed) and reduced to landless labourers. Dad spent a lot of time researching it, and produced a paper for the Recusant Society in the early 1970s. Apparently the family were reasonably prosperous yeoman farmers. They lost the lot. I keep meaning to have words with the Archbishop of Canterbury about it!

I should imagine genealogy could be a fascinating hobby!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How much does AsiaOne charge for this service?

From memory I payed it into their Bank Account via an ATM. But you could contact them all the contact details are on their form.

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How much does AsiaOne charge for this service?

Well that would depend on where you live, bearing in mind I live on Koh Chang, and they have to make 2 trips (first one to your local Amphur to register the death) it was 43k but it would have cost me maybe 25k+ with fuel, ferry, hotels, getting to the embassy, back to police forensic, coffin  ...I thought it was reasonable. 

• Thanks 1