What happens if old Farang dies in Thailand having made zero preparations? (Better?)

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

A funeral in my GF's village is about 30,000 baht, including monk rituals. I don't know how much of that is the actual cremation cost. It includes food for mourners.

I have told my GF nothing fancy, whether she listens is another matter.

I want my ashes scattered on any golf course, probably easier to do that in Australia. Here, the fear of ghosts is still a factor.

As for me, I prefer the idea of having my ashes mixed with concrete, and then pouring the concrete to make a swimming pool, or the foundation of a house.

I like always being around, especially on TV.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As for me, I prefer the idea of having my ashes mixed with concrete, and then pouring the concrete to make a swimming pool, or the foundation of a house.

Each to his own, I like the thought of resting in a place which has given me so much enjoyment over decades, and where I maybe watch over new generations of golfers.

32 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Why don't YOU just make proper arrangements instead of ' passing the book? '

You are correct that I need to create a legal document, DIY, specifying disposal of material things left behind after my demise.

This is only polite behavior, especially after having found a nice landlord, after living in pain with the previous landlady...what a Gaslighting Narcissistic Loony!

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

What I would like to know is the estimated no frills cost to  my wife to cremate me at a local temple - if possible.

Someone mentioned 30,000 bt, is this no frills?

Why not just walk to the Temple of Your Choice, and then ask to speak to the people who run the temple?

This is what I intend to do.

Anyway...I already know them.

When I find a convenient time, I will send them a LINE message to ask them.

I am not about to go up in a puff of smoke, anytime soon.

Still, accidents do happen.

And, I just want to save my landlord any avoidable headaches on my account.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Would it be somehow better for an old Farang to die in Thailand having made ZERO preparations?

For example, if an old Farang were to die with few assets in Thailand, having chosen to keep all/any personal assets safe in the Home Country, then what would happen?

Would this be the best strategy, in fact?

What about if the Farang just kept a simple DIY Document, stating the preference to be cremated in a local Temple of the Farang's Choice?

Would anyone respect His wishes?

Or, what would actually happen.

I have just read that the Farng's home-country embassy must be contacted.

But, I doubt that the Farang's embassy will arrange some sort of elaborate and expensive funeral procession with tons of flowers, and chanting guys walking behind, and wailing women white sackcloth, with children ahead strewing rose-petals, and big drums banging away, and fireworks overhead.

No embassy would spend the money for the average Farang.

And, so would the Farang just be burned in an oven, and then what might happen to the ashes?

Would they just be left in the oven, to fuel the next cremation?

It seems to me that making no provisions might be best.

Some suspense might even be the result of zero preparations.

And, might it also be the absolute cheapest option?

Of course, the Farang would not know the difference, not matter what circumstances might eventually evolve.

My guess is that when a Farang dies with zero preparations, and few family members in the Home Country, then the Farang might receive more tender loving care than if the same thing happened to said Farang in his/her Home country.

Anyway, it's something to think about....maybe....

Regards,

And inquisitive, as ever,

Gamma

Why do you care about what happens after you die if you make no preparations ?  You're dead and it's someone else's problem 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, say the old Farang has a large piece of titanium inside him

a Titanium fire and then an explosion from a pacemaker would be a fine last joke for a farang to play on the old wife. You might even give her a heartattack and the two of you can get a two for the price of one cremation. 

Talk about going out with a bang!! and save some money. 

Edited by sirineou
I don't need a stinking reason!

Told my missus to throw me on the compost heap at the bottom of the garden to save herself a few bob. She looked at me absolutely disgusted. Thais don't joke about death. I know that she'll have a big expensive face-making ceremony with everyone invited that'll cost her a fortune. Up to her.

??? 

The embassy is contacted and they try to trace relatives. If you are not collected in a certain period of time, you get cremated at a local wat and ashes are scattered at the wat.

If USA, probate court gets notified in last state of residence using your passport info and they either find relatives to disburse in country assets or the money goes to the state.

There is someone sitting at an office desk somewhere looking after it. Don't worry. They got in handled (for the most part). Can't just have bodies lying around.

Edited by JimTripper

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Important Addendum:   Let us say that the old Farang in question has ZERO friends, and has made ZERO preparations, and that there are Zero relatives willing to become involved:

Then....

What is likely to happen?

Note Two:  Will there be a post mortem, and is this enforced?

Note Three:  Can the DIY Document left behind by the old Farang state that any earthly belongings be given to an "acquaintance", and will this DIY Document's contents be respected and adhered to?   (Or, will the meagre belongings left behind by the old Farang be sold or trashed or donated to the Temple?)

Still very inquisitive concerning these points...am I...!

The deceased cant, dont care at all....he or she is dead. So what then?

If the putative farang has a bank account or any personal possessions in Thailand, he has, in legal terms, an estate in Thailand and if he dies without making a will he is going to cause a lot of problems for people including the Consul of his own country. Far better to get free legal counselling on this and any other legal matters ( now)  from the Office of Human Rights. 

www.humanrights.ago.go.th

Yes, it's free for all those living on Thailand, whether Thai or foreigner.  A humane and considerate policy which other countries would do well to copy. 

On 4/13/2024 at 3:35 PM, Dan O said:

Why do you care about what happens after you die if you make no preparations ?  You're dead and it's someone else's problem 

So no concern about leaving behind a problem ?

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

They care now while alive, so need to answer a bit better.

GG is more intrigued by the idea, I do nothing, so then what.

You cant care for anything, when dead.

You can take care while alive with all things to think about, make it a burden for you.

But if you are dead, then all follow some rules made and thats it, what you care then, you are dead?

GG also mentions when you are all alone, so where you go then? Just nothing, you are dead.

Vultures will come and find their ways. What you care, you are dead

Saw a docu on cleaners of houses, people died in it and no one noticed for long time.

Not even noticing all the flies on the windows or smell. It happens.

Could happen with me any time, Im alone. Would I care being dead? No.

What ever happens with all earthly goods, I dont care. Where my body would go? I dont care.

It is in your mind you need to take care off all? Then do so, but you dont have too.

You left planet earth, being another energy form, ghost or nothing.

There are filthy rich and they dont want their offspring to live on their wealth.

OK , then you have to do something.

15 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Talk to the OP, its his question posted and I was replying to his nonsense. Personally my $hit is already arranged for whenever I go

• Sad 1

If only for the reason that bureaucracy is now so demanding in placing accountability upon anyone other than themselves I think it is quite selfish to not at least leave some written and verified indication of personal wishes in such an event as death.

Obviously for those who have considerable assets a Lasting Will would be best choice.

But for those who may live  close to destitute status at least a clear statement granting final wishes at least should remove uncertainty from any who are compelled to deal with a corpse.

I often wonder how much effort is put into checking if a deceased has opted for the medical donor status on a driver's license?

Even an old stooge might have viable cornea that can restore vision. Cornea are one of ,if not the only, body part that in healthy people are very viable for transplant.

Thailand has a massive waiting list for cornea recipients but the cultural process  for coping with death most often fails to consider this aspect even when driver license holders here also opt to be donors.

And their Buddha knows many are young viable donors with many pristine organs that could repair the victims of perhaps even themselves.

• Love It 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:18 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Considering some of the responses i have seen you might need to consider the prospect of not needing to wait to become ashes !

On 4/13/2024 at 3:08 PM, deadbeat said:

Could you be buried on your own property?

Don't know about Thailand but elsewhere it is done. Apparently, two conditions; 1) A permanent marker to indicate the burial site, 2) Recorded in the deeds of your property.

31 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

I, for one, would not be willing to leave behind me a problem for those I care about, such as my landlord, or acquaintances.

This is one of the reasons for this Topic, among a few others.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You can take care while alive with all things to think about, make it a burden for you.

But if you are dead, then all follow some rules made and thats it, what you care then, you are dead?

GG also mentions when you are all alone, so where you go then? Just nothing, you are dead.

Saw a docu on cleaners of houses, people died in it and no one noticed for long time.

What ever happens with all earthly goods, I dont care. Where my body would go? I dont care.

It is in your mind you need to take care off all? Then do so, but you dont have too.

There are filthy rich and they dont want their offspring to live on their wealth.

90-percent, maybe 95-percent, correct.

I am intrigued by the idea of doing nothing, just because I feel that there should be no need for me to do anything, if this is my choice.

I am, therefore, interested in knowing, while I am still alive, what may happen after an old Farang dies, having made zero preparations.

Still, I do not wish to cause difficulties for the landlord, and so I must take this into account, and perhaps write a DIY document concerning this.

Also, the material things left behind, do doubt might be of some good use to another, and for years, after I have become a Dearly Departed.

This is why I posted this Topic, which I know must be of interest to all, in one way or another.

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I, for one, would not be willing to leave behind me a problem for those I care about, such as my landlord, or acquaintances.

This is one of the reasons for this Topic, among a few others.

There are detractors who would so otherwise but a simply worded written "will" can be registered with local Amphur .

It may need translation  to Thai but a copy  sent to your appropriate Consulate/Embassy is obliged to be noted which in the event  of death will also be notified by Thai authorities to that Consulate/Embassy.

In fact the existence of such a "will"  can expedite culmination of  due process because it obviates the need  for "discovery" of relatives and instruction. Problematic is the question of  "costs" regardless of pauper status.

If  as you claim  to have no relatives or persons of significance it  could be that  in your written submissions to your local Amphur that the sealed  envelope conains an amount of   cash or  authority to  pay the piper.

I can say with confidence  that such  documents  lodged and confirmed with my local Amphur are indeed sealed with  genuine integrity.

Buddhist  do fear  vengeful  ghosts!

1 minute ago, 0ffshore360 said:

There are detractors who would so otherwise but a simply worded written "will" can be registered with local Amphur .

It may need translation  to Thai but a copy  sent to your appropriate Consulate/Embassy is obliged to be noted which in the event  of death will also be notified by Thai authorities to that Consulate/Embassy.

In fact the existence of such a "will"  can expedite culmination of  due process because it obviates the need  for "discovery" of relatives and instruction. Problematic is the question of  "costs" regardless of pauper status.

If  as you claim  to have no relatives or persons of significance it  could be that  in your written submissions to your local Amphur that the sealed  envelope conains an amount of   cash or  authority to  pay the piper.

I can say with confidence  that such  documents  lodged and confirmed with my local Amphur are indeed sealed with  genuine integrity.

Buddhist  do fear  vengeful  ghosts!

Very good advice about expediting things using a very simple DIY process, it seems.

\

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

How do you know, you're not dead?

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

90-percent, maybe 95-percent, correct.

I am intrigued by the idea of doing nothing, just because I feel that there should be no need for me to do anything, if this is my choice.

I am, therefore, interested in knowing, while I am still alive, what may happen after an old Farang dies, having made zero preparations.

Still, I do not wish to cause difficulties for the landlord, and so I must take this into account, and perhaps write a DIY document concerning this.

Also, the material things left behind, do doubt might be of some good use to another, and for years, after I have become a Dearly Departed.

This is why I posted this Topic, which I know must be of interest to all, in one way or another.

Pure technical:

GG what difficulties are there for landlord? Only if you go in apartment, he has to clean.

The mess depends on when do they find you. 

So therefor , as you think, w/could compensate him for that,  you can handle that.

He will have, no matter what, his difficulties. You cant help it, it happens.

He will most probably call police and then most is out of his hands.

If you drop dead (sorry) in the street, it saves him. Just clean out room and rent out again.

In the street, they take you to hospital (?), have police coming and all runs.

The police will search property for papers and so and thats it.

Police will take care of papers to go to homeland embassy and take care all by embassy.

Heirs in homeland? They will probably be notified.

In the mean time you are ... dead, you have no further part in it at all. 

All other things like pension or money in bank and so on, it is  over and done, it is for others.

Not of your concern anymore. Very simple. They want to sue you? Let them 555. 

Only if you want to point out destinations of all, you do something about it by will.

But it will take quite some time for heirs. Maybe you want children's hospital or orphanage to donate money? 

However then you have to deal with it while alive, as you understand :cheesy:  

What ever you decide, but it is not a must. I think.

5 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Pure technical:

GG what difficulties are there for landlord? Only if you go in apartment, he has to clean.

The mess depends on when do they find you. 

So therefor , as you think, w/could compensate him for that,  you can handle that.

He will have, no matter what, his difficulties. You cant help it, it happens.

He will most probably call police and then most is out of his hands.

If you drop dead (sorry) in the street, it saves him. Just clean out room and rent out again.

In the street, they take you to hospital (?), have police coming and all runs.

The police will search property for papers and so and thats it.

Police will take care of papers to go to homeland embassy and take care all by embassy.

Heirs in homeland? They will probably be notified.

In the mean time you are ... dead, you have no further part in it at all. 

All other things like pension or money in bank and so on, it is  over and done, it is for others.

Not of your concern anymore. Very simple. They want to sue you? Let them 555. 

Only if you want to point out destinations of all, you do something about it by will.

But it will take quite some time for heirs. Maybe you want children's hospital or orphanage to donate money? 

However then you have to deal with it while alive, as you understand :cheesy:  

What ever you decide, but it is not a must. I think.

I agree that it would be best, for all, including me, to drop dead, or be run over, in the street.

I sometimes worry about stinking up the place, after all.

I plan to remain alive, and hanging around here, for about 10 more years.

I hope to not live as long as Chomsky, unless I can live as comfortably as he does now, and provided my mind stays as much intact, as his, and my eyesight does not deteriorate. Although, I would not wish to lose so much of my hearing, by age 94, as has, unfortunately, been the case with Noam.

I did not realize that my property would be searched for papers, which will eventually find their way to the embassy.

Maybe I should be more careful, and burn papers beforehand, way in advance, and then scan everything and store on the encrypted SSD that I plan to attach to my new super-desktop-computer, running OpenSUSE Linux.

Anyway, thank you for the additional information.

I will need to give this more thought, and then act or NOT act, accordingly.....