What happens if old Farang dies in Thailand having made zero preparations? (Better?)

21 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

How do you know, im not dead?

24 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I might be dead.

I don't, but if you can respond that means you care what happens when your dead.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Still, I do not wish to cause difficulties for the landlord

Don't forget to tell your landlord your dead. They can't lose a months rent while your decomposting in the unit. 🤣

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I agree that it would be best, for all, including me, to drop dead, or be run over, in the street.

I sometimes worry about stinking up the place, after all.

I plan to remain alive, and hanging around here, for about 10 more years.

I hope to not live as long as Chomsky, unless I can live as comfortably as he does now, and provided my mind stays as much intact, as his, and my eyesight does not deteriorate. Although, I would not wish to lose so much of my hearing, by age 94, as has, unfortunately, been the case with Noam.

I did not realize that my property would be searched for papers, which will eventually find their way to the embassy.

Maybe I should be more careful, and burn papers beforehand, way in advance, and then scan everything and store on the encrypted SSD that I plan to attach to my new super-desktop-computer, running OpenSUSE Linux.

Anyway, thank you for the additional information.

I will need to give this more thought, and then act or NOT act, accordingly.....

Respect GG, 94 is quite an age ! What is your secrete?! Staying single? 555

I dont even know if you are, maybe opposite and you have a 25 yo life companion!

Be careful with SSD or any drive, maybe you throw it away some time.

THere was a guy who had bitcoin on a drive and he threw it away, only worth 500 million dollar, i believe.

He was attempting to find the drive in the garbage field, even had a courtcase, as he wasnt allowed on garbage site.

MMM seems he is working on that long time to get it back, wonder if drive is still working.

https://bitcoinnews.com/legal/james-howells-legal-battle-bitcoin/

However if you type lost drives , there are way more drives with bitcoin lost, but ok side step.

Also SSD can break. I would then save it on CD and then probably on an M disk. The M disk seems quite resistible on aging.

You can make several copies then and keep them on separate places.

I dont know what papers you have , which could be harmful and then probably for others?

But first scan and save before destroying the papers.

You have documents about who really killed JFK? :cheesy:

As you are dead then, nothing to worry about a thing.

Yha , the smelling, but what you care, it is part of proces. It is a fact.

First thing is your poo and pee come out, as all muscle are down, it is like that.

As i said saw docu about it, cleaners. So it is part of knowledge again and I have no taboo on it of talking about it.

It is what it is.

17 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Don't forget to tell your landlord your dead. They can't lose a months rent while your decomposting in the unit. 🤣

I think I should set up motion detectors in my house.

IF, there is no movement during a period lasting more than 12 hours, then I will rig it to set off an alarm, or some pre-recorded voice message. Not sure yet what message to record.

But, when the neighbors hear my amplified voice message, then they will know what to do.

As I say, I don't want to stink up the place.

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I don't, but if you can respond that means you care what happens when your dead.

I stated however, I dont care what happens after I would be dead.

Im dead and not any deceased ever returned to tell otherwise and should have cared. 

Maybe from experience as a walking dead, I dont care. :cheesy:

Maybe im an lying AI, programmed to answer this way :cheesy:

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

IF, there is no movement during a period lasting more than 12 hours, then I will rig it to set off an alarm, or some pre-recorded voice message. Not sure yet what message to record.

But, when the neighbors hear my amplified voice message, then they will know what to do.

What you think about a blood pressure heart beat watch? Then only have to find one which can be blue toothed to a loud alarm system.

Tried to find one but mostly all stand alone. Maybe a new gap in market.!!! Incredible it wouldnt be there.

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

What you think about a blood pressure heart beat watch? Then only have to find one which can be blue toothed to a loud alarm system.

Tried to find one but mostly all stand alone. Maybe a new gap in market.!!! Incredible it wouldnt be there.

I think that a refrigerator door monitor might be more reliable and easier to build than the blood pressure Bluetooth Alarm idea of yours. 

23 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think that a refrigerator door monitor might be more reliable and easier to build than the blood pressure Bluetooth Alarm idea of yours. 

you know yourself the best!

I’ve contributed to an old Farang cremation when we held a fundraiser for him the cheapest was is stick the deceased on the back of a pickup take him to the Temple get head monk to say a simple prayer when placing the deceased in the oven cost no more than 10,000 baht the embassy has to be notified by the hospital or police 

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I live on my own with my cat if I were to pass I could lie there for days hopefully the cat would survive by chewing on me  when you dead your dead if I was in the UK my remains go to others needing a transplant and the rest to science so there is no cost here in Thailand i

dont know if they do that imagine a Thai with beautiful blue eyes 

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 8:17 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Important Addendum:   Let us say that the old Farang in question has ZERO friends, and has made ZERO preparations, and that there are Zero relatives willing to become involved:

After autopsy you will be buried in a paupers grave, unless they have changed it to cremation by then. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:17 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Note Two:  Will there be a post mortem, and is this enforced?

This subject has been posted so many times. Yes we all get a post mortem. 

On 4/13/2024 at 4:55 AM, Georgealbert said:

After cremation the metal replacement joints, pins and implants will remain. These are commonly made of stainless steel, cobalt chrome steels and titanium alloys.

So I guess there will be some scrap value if the family really want it, or the undertaker or temple would just collect the pieces.

IMG_2386.jpeg

A titanium hip after cremation.

IMG_2387.jpeg

That could be handy for a motorbike stand or brake lever. :whistling:

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This subject has been posted so many times. Yes we all get a post mortem. 

That could be handy for a motorbike stand or brake lever. :whistling:

Thanks, the motorbike stand idea that gave me a chuckle.

The last 3 deaths, of UK citizens, in the Chonburi area, that I have helped the friends and families, did not require a post mortem. I agree most will, but it does depend on the hospital, police investigator and the way they are approached.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:50 PM, Lacessit said:

A funeral in my GF's village is about 30,000 baht, including monk rituals. I don't know how much of that is the actual cremation cost. It includes food for mourners.

I have told my GF nothing fancy, whether she listens is another matter.

I want my ashes scattered on any golf course, probably easier to do that in Australia. Here, the fear of ghosts is still a factor.

Depending where you live, and whether the local cops send you for autopsy,

ours insist even if you die from natural causes in hospital, the cost just to deliver the body to your wat of choice, could exceed the actual cremation costs, it all becomes rather complicated, with all the paperwork involved, I strongly recommend using a funeral director company to do all the leg work, to your Embassy, going to your local Amphur to register your death, then back to get the body released, dress the body, put in coffin then delivered to your Wat of choice. This one was recommended to me buy the OZ embassy

20 people attended my mates 3 day ceremony my wife organized the cremation, with food came to 20k so I think that's a good ballpark figure.  

A nice simple form. where it says 'other' just put the name of the Wat.IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.a17c12c2aea5a49d034ffc7364d4d9bc.jpg

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I live on my own with my cat if I were to pass I could lie there for days hopefully the cat would survive by chewing on me  when you dead your dead if I was in the UK my remains go to others needing a transplant and the rest to science so there is no cost here in Thailand i

dont know if they do that imagine a Thai with beautiful blue eyes 

Or a decent sized Dong   :cheesy:

On 4/13/2024 at 3:23 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

You are correct that I need to create a legal document, DIY, specifying disposal of material things left behind after my demise.

This is only polite behavior, especially after having found a nice landlord, after living in pain with the previous landlady...what a Gaslighting Narcissistic Loony!

Just fill out the form I have posted, I believe you can pre-pay.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:35 PM, Dan O said:

Why do you care about what happens after you die if you make no preparations ?  You're dead and it's someone else's problem 

Rather a selfish argument IMO. 

On 4/13/2024 at 4:50 PM, JimTripper said:

If USA, probate court gets notified in last state of residence using your passport info and they either find relatives to disburse in country assets or the money goes to the state.

It's almost the same here, your death must be recorded at your local Amphur, before the body is released, and probate is carried out at your Province family court

On 4/13/2024 at 1:59 PM, edwardflory said:

What I would like to know is the estimated no frills cost to  my wife to cremate me at a local temple - if possible.

Someone mentioned 30,000 bt, is this no frills?

A simple cremation in a country Wat with no attendees is around 5k, no food. 

Personally, and it is of course very personal, an unmarked grave or a simple cremation are fine for me.

I am a Catholic, so a Requiem Mass for the repose of my Soul is all I ask.

I have made some provision for the cost, so that my daughter, my only real relative here, isn't caught.

Of course, with God's grace, I hope it will not be for many years!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Depending where you live, and whether the local cops send you for autopsy,

ours insist even if you die from natural causes in hospital, the cost just to deliver the body to your wat of choice, could exceed the actual cremation costs, it all becomes rather complicated, with all the paperwork involved, I strongly recommend using a funeral director company to do all the leg work, to your Embassy, going to your local Amphur to register your death, then back to get the body released, dress the body, put in coffin then delivered to your Wat of choice. This one was recommended to me buy the OZ embassy

20 people attended my mates 3 day ceremony my wife organized the cremation, with food came to 20k so I think that's a good ballpark figure.  

A nice simple form. where it says 'other' just put the name of the Wat.IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.a17c12c2aea5a49d034ffc7364d4d9bc.jpg

How much does AsiaOne charge for this service?

My comment was to the OP not about you or even my own opinion or what I would do.. Im already sorted. The OP was the one proposing to do that and yes it is pretty self centered position to put others thru as its fairly easy to outline ones wishes and arrangements

IMO my GF will not be fazed at all by the task, she has proved to me multiple times she can negotiate the intricacies of Thai officialdom.

As for Australian bureaucracy, they can  kiss my hairy butt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Personally, and it is of course very personal, an unmarked grave or a simple cremation are fine for me.

I am a Catholic, so a Requiem Mass for the repose of my Soul is all I ask.

I have made some provision for the cost, so that my daughter, my only real relative here, isn't caught.

Of course, with God's grace, I hope it will not be for many years!

Interesting. I don't know if you're into genealogy but I've found that cemetery records of family burials (known as grave re-openers in U.K.) helpful in my research. Unfortunately, the modern trend of cremation and scattering ashes results in less information to work with. My Thai Mrs informs me that I'm going into the family column at our nearby temple. I'm curious if that produces some searchable public record? I've tried asking Thai family but they don't seem to understand what I'm asking and why I would want to know!       

The Op may envision that dying without preparations could be a big hassle.

I think the reality is that it's not such a big deal and nobody cares for very long. Even for family it's soon over. For others, someone at an office desk has it sorted over morning coffee. Thanks for playing. Done & dusted.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

MO my GF will not be fazed at all by the task, she has proved to me multiple times she can negotiate the intricacies of Thai officialdom.

Nor is my wife but I wouldn't want to put her through all that is involved, from where I live, at least 2 trips to BKK and even then would have to arrange to get my body back to KC. She would still have to deal with the OZ embassy.

(The Cremation, Family court, wait for probate, then the banks would still have to be sorted by her.) 

Until one has had to deal with, then they wouldn't understand the stress. 

Much much easier to pay a funeral director to deal with the bureaucracy.

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Nor is my wife but I wouldn't want to put her through all that is involved, from where I live, at least 2 trips to BKK and even then would have to arrange to get my body back to KC. She would still have to deal with the OZ embassy.

(The Cremation, Family court, wait for probate, then the banks would still have to be sorted by her.) 

Until one has had to deal with, then they wouldn't understand the stress. 

Much much easier to pay a funeral director to deal with the bureaucracy.

My body won't have to move, the village has a crematorium. She also has a Thai lawyer to do the probate. We have enough in a joint account for her to live on for more than a year.

I don't know what dealing with the Oz embassy entails, and don't particularly care either. Tell me what it is they do which is essential.

42 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What's a Farang?

In order to qualify, one must first have less skin pigmentation.

But, also, this term might not exclusively be about skin color.

I suggest you do your own research, since anything I might tell you here, I know from past experience, you and others may question.

Please Note:  Simply put, a Farang is a Guava