25 killed, 248 injured in road accidents on first day of Songkran travel

snoop1130

main-26.png

Twenty-five people were killed and 248 others injured in 234 road accidents across the country on Thursday, Chaiwat Chuntirapong, director-general of the Department of Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, told a press conference today.

44.02% of the accidents were caused by speeding, 20.94% by cutting in and 16.67% by drunk driving. 86% of the accidents involved motorcycles and 85.90% took place on straight roads, 47.01% on main roads and 23.50% on secondary roads. Most of the accidents took place between 4pm and 5pm.

Songkhla province saw most accidents, recording 11 involving 13 injuries. Bangkok had the most fatalities, with three.

Chaiwat said that, since tomorrow is when more people are expected engage in water splashing and in other festive activities, officials have been instructed to increase patrols on secondary roads in communities and to warn motorists and motorcyclists against speeding or drunk driving and to wear crash helmets in the case of those on motorcycles.

Deputy Interior Permanent Secretary Chotnarin Kerdsom, meanwhile, said that stores selling alcohol are warned not to sell to people who are under 20 and to observe liquor sales hours strictly.

Source: Thai PBS 2024-04-12

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Twenty-five people were killed and 248 others injured in 234 road accidents across the country on Thursday, Chaiwat Chuntirapong, director-general of the Department of Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, told a press conference today

Save water, die on the roads,

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The campaign drive safely will be a success again as every year.... if you believe the numbers published

Well, thai RSC published ever so slightly different numbers - a giant surprise ... lol.

Death yesterday:        65      (25)

Injured yesterday:  2'256    (248)

( )   published by the Department of        public disaster prevention

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes the statistics published are conveniently prompt with little connection with reality but rather a PR exercise.

We did a lot of crawling at 10-20km/h on route 4 south as it's under construction for 20 years I'm told!

Having driven on Wednesday from Khao Kho to Bangkok and then on Thursday to Prachuap Kiri Khan (past Hua Hin) I was horrified at how many near accidents occurred.

1. because idiots insist on cutting right from the left lane because you are waiting in line with other cars but they are too important to wait so they try to hit your left bumper to make a gap. I am good enough to avoid a collision and give up in disgust but I'll bet many are not prepared to give in resulting in accidents

2. because the "roadwork ahead" signs are none existent! 

Travelling at 100-120km/h in traffic past trucks the last thing you need on a bend is traffic almost stopped before the merge left sign with no prior signage to indicate a roadwork hazard is approaching.

• Sad 1

25 killed and a few more that will die from their injuries. 

They left home and will never return. 

Many families and loved ones ruined for the Songkran period and for the rest of their lives. 

So tragic

RIP to all those that are no longer with us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

main-26.png

Twenty-five people were killed and 248 others injured in 234 road accidents across the country on Thursday, Chaiwat Chuntirapong, director-general of the Department of Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, told a press conference today.

44.02% of the accidents were caused by speeding, 20.94% by cutting in and 16.67% by drunk driving. 86% of the accidents involved motorcycles and 85.90% took place on straight roads, 47.01% on main roads and 23.50% on secondary roads. Most of the accidents took place between 4pm and 5pm.

Songkhla province saw most accidents, recording 11 involving 13 injuries. Bangkok had the most fatalities, with three.

Chaiwat said that, since tomorrow is when more people are expected engage in water splashing and in other festive activities, officials have been instructed to increase patrols on secondary roads in communities and to warn motorists and motorcyclists against speeding or drunk driving and to wear crash helmets in the case of those on motorcycles.

Deputy Interior Permanent Secretary Chotnarin Kerdsom, meanwhile, said that stores selling alcohol are warned not to sell to people who are under 20 and to observe liquor sales hours strictly.

Source: Thai PBS 2024-04-12

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

So safety rules and law enforcement works obviously. "Only" 25 today plus those who will die later in hospital. Thailand, you're on the right track. (Sarcasm off)🙏

3 hours ago, ronster said:

85% on straight roads !!! 🙄🙈

This has always been the case, holidays or not. And it's easy to see why. Most of the accidents involve motorcycles and took place between 4pm and 5pm. The commute home for both workers and school kids. It has little to do with holidays, it's the same all year round.

3 hours ago, traveller101 said:

Well, thai RSC published ever so slightly different numbers - a giant surprise ... lol.

Death yesterday:        65      (25)

Injured yesterday:  2'256    (248)

( )   published by the Department of        public disaster prevention

it is the same as with TAT.. they make the numbers that suits them.. reality is far away... the numbers ofr you are much more real and maybe even more....

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just another day. Until the address the Me, Me, Me, Me attitude on the roads, Ignorant driving actions, cutting in, dangerous overtaking, ignoring the signs, no licence, unroadworthy vehicles, overloading, speeding, drink driving, and the police who do not give a rats ass. It is bad on a good day near me, so I will not venture out on the roads for another three days yet until all the morons have gone back home.

Edited by AhFarangJa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This has always been the case, holidays or not. And it's easy to see why. Most of the accidents involve motorcycles and took place between 4pm and 5pm. The commute home for both workers and school kids. It has little to do with holidays, it's the same all year round.

What a intelligent post Moonlover!

Yes of course it's the same all year round , Songkran doesn't affect the statistics, you Moonie should be a Statistician like me !!!

• Haha 1

one thing about Thailand news is they never let the truth get in the way of a good story, always a positive and impressive numbers regardless of what it is but the only ones they are fooling is themselves another job well done may you be reward for your efforts

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Remember - in Thailand they ONLY count the deaths that happen at the scene.

If they load people in pick-ups or those "local volunteer" rescue vans and they die on the way to the hospital - or at the hospital - they aren't counted towards the total "road accident deaths".

But yeah, pre-Covid Thailand was always in the top 1-2 spots in the entire world for number of road accidents (per capita) and number of deaths (per capita). In the entire world.

(Though to be fair a lot of countries either don't report their statistics or drastically downplay them. Primarily 3rd world and "least developed" nations. So Thailand is probably only "top 10" which is still crazy when you look at the size of the country and population.)

And note - 86% of the accidents involved motorcycles.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chricha said:

Yes the statistics published are conveniently prompt with little connection with reality but rather a PR exercise.

We did a lot of crawling at 10-20km/h on route 4 south as it's under construction for 20 years I'm told!

Having driven on Wednesday from Khao Kho to Bangkok and then on Thursday to Prachuap Kiri Khan (past Hua Hin) I was horrified at how many near accidents occurred.

1. because idiots insist on cutting right from the left lane because you are waiting in line with other cars but they are too important to wait so they try to hit your left bumper to make a gap. I am good enough to avoid a collision and give up in disgust but I'll bet many are not prepared to give in resulting in accidents

2. because the "roadwork ahead" signs are none existent! 

Travelling at 100-120km/h in traffic past trucks the last thing you need on a bend is traffic almost stopped before the merge left sign with no prior signage to indicate a roadwork hazard is approaching.

Please post your link disproving the figures

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Remember - in Thailand they ONLY count the deaths that happen at the scene.

If they load people in pick-ups or those "local volunteer" rescue vans and they die on the way to the hospital - or at the hospital - they aren't counted towards the total "road accident deaths".

But yeah, pre-Covid Thailand was always in the top 1-2 spots in the entire world for number of road accidents (per capita) and number of deaths (per capita). In the entire world.

(Though to be fair a lot of countries either don't report their statistics or drastically downplay them. Primarily 3rd world and "least developed" nations. So Thailand is probably only "top 10" which is still crazy when you look at the size of the country and population.)

And note - 86% of the accidents involved motorcycles.

Very interesting statistics 

I wonder where pedestrian deaths come in ?

I wonder how they define the main cause of accidents as "speeding".. as in they drove so fast they shot out of a curve, but on a straight road? I wonder what % of accidents was caused by the right lane hoggers, who force those who wish to keep a decent pace to undertake and slalom around them. 

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

........at the scene of the accident! How many died in the ambulance going to hospital? How many injured will die in the next week due to injuries? We'll never know!

Yes we will up to a point....you don't seem to be aware of how RTI stats are compiled or which organisations are involved.

Most people on this thread fixate only on just one rather misleading statistic and that is DEATHS per 100 k of population. This is only one of many stats. The ones released  on the day are simply not accurate. I believe they are released by the police 

The police are not trained to do this or even analyse crashes. It takes time to properlt compile RTI stats they usually come out a few months after the beginning on the next year.BBContray to popular belief, there is no "statute of limitations" on  recording of road deaths.... they continue to be registered regardless of time span.

Road injury stats are internationally compiled on various aspects of road safety.

Injuries per 100k is just one aspect. ...and Thailand even fails to do this effectively.

Injuries are classified as minor, serious and fatal. There have been recently some feeble attempts to do this.

The problem is without scientific and statistical analysis of RTIs it is impossible to get a true picture of what is happening on Thai roads and therefore impossible to form effective policies and plans to deal with this. This situation has continued for decades.

In the mean time Thailands roads continue to be built and more and more traffic pours onto them.

It's a perfect storm.

Edited by kwilco

12 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Please post your link disproving the figures

This this a pathetic non-argument by someone who doesn't have an argument themselves...its called sea-lioning.

If you are going to make a counter argument, back it up with evidence of your own.

3 minutes ago, SS1 said:

I wonder how they define the main cause of accidents as "speeding".. as in they drove so fast they shot out of a curve, but on a straight road? I wonder what % of accidents was caused by the right lane hoggers, who force those who wish to keep a decent pace to undertake and slalom around them. 

The stats given by RTP are pretty vague at best and don't follow standard RTI reporting practice on any level.