Interrogation at Suvarnabhumi

My Filipina GF (together now for >10 years) arrived at Suvarnabhumi from India last week. Here is a list of Thai entries in her passport:

1. Entered Oct 5, 2022, stamped in until Nov 18, 2022, left Nov 18, 2022. Total 34 days.
2. Entered March 2, 2023, stamped in until April 15, 2023. Extended at Jomtien on April 11, 2023. Extension granted until May 15, 2023. Departed May 14, 2023. Total 73 days.
3. Entered Oct 19, 2023, stamped in until Nov 17, 2023. Departed Nov 9, 2023. Total 21 days.
4. Entered Dec 19, 2023, stamped in until Dec 18, 2023. Extended at Jomtien, extension granted until Jan 17, 2024. She did a border hop to Cambodia on Jan 17, 2024, returning the same day. Total 54 days. Total 148 days in 2023.
5. Reentered from Cambodia Jan 17, 2024, stamped in until Feb 15, 2024. Departed Feb 12, 2024. Total 26 days.
6. Entered April 10, 2024, from India, stamped in until May 9, 2024.

That's her history and here's what happened when she reentered on April 10.
1. Interrogated at office on entry. The female IO asked for her departure ticket, which she had, dated April 16 departure. Also showed 30K THB cash. Plan was to discard her ticket and apply for an extension sometime before May 9.
2. IO said she didn't believe it was a valid ticket , took pictures, and had her sign some form. The form was a large piece of paper, folded in half, and IO told her not to look inside, just sign the paper, and then took another picture of her holding the paper and her passport. Told her she had to leave on the date on the ticket, April 16 or the IO would blacklist her for a year. The IO then proceeded to STAMP HER IN UNTIL MAY 9, but put a small dot next to the departure by date on her stamp (stamp pictured below)!

Obviously, she's had many entries. She doesn't work here and is supported by me. She told IO that she takes care of her BF and we travel around Thailand together, which we do. IO said she doesn't care about BF. 

So I'm wondering, since she has a valid tourist visa until May 9, can she stay until May 9? Is there a chance that she would be denied an extension at Jomtien while waiting for an ED visa (applying next week for ED visa). I posted some questions on AN a couple of days ago asking about schools, fees, etc.) or might she be denied and blacklisted on exit, because she didn't exit on April 16?

She would actually study Thai as part of our long-term plan, so she's not planning to do the bogus ED visa thing. She's been learning the Thai alphabet to get primed for language lessons.

Visa stamp.jpg

• Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

She doesn't have a valid tourist visa, she has permission of stay until May 9th.

It looks as though she's been entering visa exempt (without a visa) to many times within a given period, hence the questioning.

Yeah, I used the wrong wording there.

Anyway, the basic question is, should she be worried about not leaving on April 16, the date the IO threatened her with blacklisting?

Also, I kinda thought that the clock reset each calendar year. It was only her 2nd entry this year.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Anyway, the basic question is, should she be worried about not leaving on April 16, the date the IO threatened her with blacklisting?

Also, I kinda thought that the clock reset each calendar year. It was only her 2nd entry this year.

Appears current stamp is visa exempt 30 day stamp.

She can apply for 30 day extension. 

Regards your second question the 2 visa exempt entries limit per calendar year is via land border entries.

No limit visa exempt entries via air however immigration will suspect working in Thailand for many entries. 

What status (visa/extension) do you have in Thailand.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Yeah, I used the wrong wording there.

you can only do two land border crossings per calendar year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AreYouGerman said:

Never go to female IOs! It should be common knowledge by now.

i always go to female IOs, never had a problem in all the years i've been traveling to and fro. must be something about me 😇

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i always go to female IOs, never had a problem in all the years i've been traveling to and fro. must be something about me 😇

No it's called luck, and it is when a guy starts to say ''must be something about me'' when they are about to attack lol.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, flexomike said:

you can only do two land border crossings per calendar year

Her only land border crossing was in January 17 this year. All others by air

49 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i always go to female IOs, never had a problem in all the years i've been traveling to and fro. must be something about me 

Edited by tjintx

Airport IOs hate border runs and same-day returns with a vengeance, it might well be that border run to Cambodia that was the red flag that triggered the questioning (more than the number of entries or days spent in Thailand as such).

She should just apply for her extension as planned. Chances are it will be granted as per usual.

• Like 1

not too many entries according to normal guidelines - just another petulant female I/O.

appears this time the throwaway airline ticket and the sameday border hop raised her ire sufficiently to threaten and bully.

however, has been stamped in until 9 may which normally can be extended.

application of the blacklist threat most unlikely (contradiction of 9 may entry stamp) - not happen IMHO.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Immigration officers at BKK airport are losing it these days.

Got stopped myself for traveling too much on exemptions.

Yeah right... Their own website states that one can get as many as needed as long as the port of entry is an airport.

Was interrogated for 20 minutes. Empty questions with no apparent purpose.

Eventually told them kindly to get lost if they weren't happy as they had no rational reason to turn me away.

They forced me to buy a return ticket (which is fair) and let me in.

Too hard to argue with reason I guess :thumbsup:

I'm gonna get my extension next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't think there will be any problem as their ongoing shenanigans are plain dumb and don't make any sense.

But who knows... It's Thai bureaucracy after all !

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1