Big Brother is watching you! Privacy or peace of mind through AI-aided security?

BIG BROTHER.jpeg

Big Brother is watching you splashing water during Songkran in Bangkok. They say they can identify Thai revelers entering Khao San Road.

Intrusion of personal privacy or peace of mind through AI-aided security?
What say you?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, george said:
BIG BROTHER.jpeg

Big Brother is watching you splashing water during Songkran in Bangkok. They say they can identify Thai revelers entering Khao San Road.

Intrusion of personal privacy or peace of mind through AI-aided security?
What say you?

Trash the cameras.

• Like 1

Cameras are everywhere, that shouldn't surprise anybody.

And sometime many of us ask if there was no camera nearby when a crime happened.

I think we shouldn't worry too much. Who is interested to analyze who was where when nothing important happened?

There is also Google Timeline, with information who was where every minute of their life. It's just there. Is it scary? Yes, a little. But for 99% of us it will never be a problem.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, johng said:

Eventually it will be a problem for everyone   even those who think they have "nothing to hide" !!

Why? What do you expect will happen?

Who will check and investigate and prosecute all of us?

Take the NSA in the USA as an example. They have data about everybody and everything since a long time. And what happens to ordinary people? As far as I know little.

When I remember it correctly after 9/11 the NSA found data related to that, because they knew what to look for and they looked really hard.

But before that event it seems the NSA had no clue about it.

Obviously with AI a lot of that will be more automated and on a bigger scale. But I still don't expect most people will be in any trouble. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, johng said:

You answer that question below  AI (could) will do it and do it at an unprecedented level and speed   implementing the new so called online "hate speech" laws   call a tranie a tranny,dead name or misgender someone  saying that oil is useful  disagreeing with climate change extremists  we already saw what happened to those disagreeing with the Covid narrative the censorship,deplatforming,debanking,shadow banning,shaming and ridiculing of those people  by governments in collusion with legacy media and big tech.

Those who think they have nothing to hide had better think again.

I understand that you are concerned all this could happen. But I very much doubt it will happen.

Because it won't take too long before the authorities will realize that this would just involve too much money and manpower - even if 90% would be done by AI.

Targeted individuals might suffer. But I can't imagine anybody, or any AI, looking for i.e. trans comments and then prosecuting everybody. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, george said:

peace of mind through AI-aided security?

Who's programming the AI, and to what purpose?  To identify criminals, or to identify political opponents and look for the crimes?  (Google "3 felonies a day").

2 hours ago, johng said:

Those who think they have nothing to hide had better think again

They're the injected, boosted, mask wearing, Ukraine loving, supporting the "latest thing" crowd, who crave being mounted and dominated by every level of government. 

They'll always be fine as long as someone gives positive reinforcement of their hive mind mentality. 

Can the rest of us be saved from them? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I always get a chuckle when people worry about the NSA or CIA monitoring them. How little these people know about what can and cannot be done., or even if these entities care about nobodies.

Most people give everything away via social media or online purchasing or just using a credit card. Amazon and Facebook know infinitely more about people than the NSA. Also, both use what they know to target individuals. Phone companies know where you shop and know how much time you spend in each aisle, so they know your spending habits and can sell the data to whomever is interested. It is even possible to know if a female is pregnant before she knows it, because hormones will impact her behavior and interest while shopping, and she will spend extra time in certain areas of food stores.

I wonder if people know what their home Amazon devices can do (which is record every conversation and send it to Amazon).

I wonder if people who own Chinese-made cars know everything they say inside the car is captured and forwarded back to the manufacturer, who then forwards it to the MSS. It might be aimed primarily at domestic Chinese drivers, but the system works just as well wherever Chinese cars are sold.

Even German auto manufacturers have installed the same system, though it's unclear if this is intended to get customer feedback in order to improve the driving experience, or forwarded to the BND.

Already there is precious little privacy for anyone who uses modern conveniences.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because it won't take too long before the authorities will realize that this would just involve too much money and manpower - even if 90% would be done by AI

These so called "authorities"  are the exact same who want to wield the total power that an AI "policeman" can give them..they are the ones pushing ,promoting, and legislating for this AI takeover...it's kind of ironic to realise that in the end even they (along with everyone else) will be consumed by it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Amazon and Facebook know infinitely more about people than the NSA.

One and the same, whatever  Google,facebook,Meta,tictok etc etc know about you so do the CIA,FBI,NSA,MI5,MI6 etc etc all the 5 eyes countries and most probably more share the info...but its all for your safety nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide !!!!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Cameras are everywhere, that shouldn't surprise anybody.

And sometime many of us ask if there was no camera nearby when a crime happened.

I think we shouldn't worry too much. Who is interested to analyze who was where when nothing important happened?

There is also Google Timeline, with information who was where every minute of their life. It's just there. Is it scary? Yes, a little. But for 99% of us it will never be a problem.

@OneMoreFarang Can you please tell us more about the "Google Timeline"?

1 hour ago, george said:

@OneMoreFarang Can you please tell us more about the "Google Timeline"?

If you have an Android phone, then Google Maps Timeline saves all your moves all the time.

And you can look for any moment in time 24/7 in which location you were.

The following map is low resolution from me in 2023. Bangkok and Phnom Penh. I cold lookup my location for 23 Feb, 13:15, just an example.

I can zoom in to every single house on that map.

I could look at any location, i.e. Nana Plaza, and find out when I was there for how long, etc.

In theory it is possible for the user to switch this off. But will it switch it off? Or will it just not let the user see the data anymore.

All this is saved in the cloud. We can be sure the NSA and other can look at every detail if they want to.

I think something like that also exists for Apple, but I am not familiar with that.

https://timeline.google.com/

TimeLine.png.bcc0cc448177ba26622a4d58af24f0e3.png

Edit, one evening in Nana

NanaMap.png.6cea6a8f7a936b72e87a15dfe2d18a12.png

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Open Google maps on your smartphone, tap your avatar (top right), and there is your timeline showing where and when your phone was since you signed up to Google.

I have iPhone. Can't find it... Timeline is empty but it's set to ON. No data.

11 hours ago, johng said:

Eventually it will be a problem for everyone   even those who think they have "nothing to hide" !!

Why will it eventually be a problem for everyone?

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why will it eventually be a problem for everyone?

Maybe.

Just a thought: Could police/government in any country request your historical GPS locations in the event of court case/police investigation? Would Google share that information with authorities?

30 minutes ago, george said:

Maybe.

Just a thought: Could police/government in any country request your historical GPS locations in the event of court case/police investigation? Would Google share that information with authorities?

It would have been a positive bonus to me back when my former wife was falsely accusing me of stalking her. Can't see a downside of being tracked if not a criminal.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, george said:

Maybe.

Would you have to have your mobile GPS locater on your mobile switched on?

I just looked at my mobile and found it switched on, so I turned it off.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see a downside of being tracked if not a criminal.

Bit of an old chestnut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

Also, where will it end?  Cameras and microphones in your house so the government can see what you're doing?

If not, why not? What have you got to hide? 

I guess it would be OK as long as those spying on us have good intentions but what are the chances of that? 

Edited by BigBruv
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you have an Android phone, then Google Maps Timeline saves all your moves all the time.

If you have an Android phone, then Google Maps Timeline saves all your phone's moves all the time.

Sometimes I go for a walk and leave my phone in the scooter or at home. GMaps doesn't know this.

Sometimes Google asks me to review a business that I have never used - usually because that business is located next to a red light that I got stuck at for a while and Google assumes that I went inside.

Sometimes Google tells me that I have done a car journey - apart from the taxi to/from the airport, I never use cars in Thailand.

Dumb!

(I commit a crime in the next town but leave my phone at home - will Google give me an alibi?)

Edited by London Lowf