Big Brother is watching you! Privacy or peace of mind through AI-aided security?

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

(I commit a crime in the next town but leave my phone at home - will Google give me an alibi?)

Good that big brother couldn't possibly connect you to this comment.

He said that is what he will do. 😉 

17 hours ago, george said:

Yes, it is.

After reading this thread yesterday, I set it up on my iphone, and today it has recorded everything, in too much detail, where I have been, how long I was there and even when I was driving, also showed all on the map.

All I did was turned on timeline, then set my location settings to always on and then turned on location history.

So it should work on your iphone.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 9:38 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why? What do you expect will happen?

Who will check and investigate and prosecute all of us?

Take the NSA in the USA as an example. They have data about everybody and everything since a long time. And what happens to ordinary people? As far as I know little.

When I remember it correctly after 9/11 the NSA found data related to that, because they knew what to look for and they looked really hard.

But before that event it seems the NSA had no clue about it.

Obviously with AI a lot of that will be more automated and on a bigger scale. But I still don't expect most people will be in any trouble. 

Take China and Russia for example.

They do investigate, prosecute and even kill lots of people based on surveillance.

None of us knows if the findings that they used were true or correct.

Sentenced without a trial.

Countries in SE Asia are more likely to follow the Chinese model rather than the western one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

All I did was turned on timeline, then set my location settings to always on and then turned on location history.

Location is always off on my phone and I do not even switch on the wifi.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/15/2024 at 11:52 PM, BigBruv said:

Cameras and microphones in your house so the government can see what you're doing?

Tech already available today
they do not need cameras or microphones inside your house
just a window will do
they can hear any sounds by VIDEOING the window, no microphone needed
(they can detect the vibrations on any object in the room)
as for movements they already have thermal imaging and doppler ultrasound
add these to face/body recognition mapper
and you can literally record data points and then reproduce many closed door events with visual detail

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2024 at 6:00 PM, BritManToo said:

Open Google maps on your smartphone, tap your avatar (top right), and there is your timeline showing where and when your phone was since you signed up to Google.

Awesome!!! I just had a look and it has every place I have visited every single day since November 2015 when I bought my first smart phone. Brings back so many memories. Better not let the wife see it because she will see all the times I visited Nana and Cowboy back early in our relationship. 🤐

Edited by Dexxter
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:23 PM, george said:

Maybe.

Just a thought: Could police/government in any country request your historical GPS locations in the event of court case/police investigation? Would Google share that information with authorities?

Yes, if they receive a court order.

On 4/15/2024 at 8:54 PM, BritManToo said:

It would have been a positive bonus to me back when my former wife was falsely accusing me of stalking her. Can't see a downside of being tracked if not a criminal.

If the criminal is smart they will leave their phone at home when committing a crime.

Your ex could claim you left the phone at home or loaned it to a friend to carry around while you stalk her.

I am sure a lawyer could keep arguing for or against any location evidence a phone might hold until it is dismissed in court.

Of course phone location data can be very useful to police showing them who might be of interest for further investigation.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Location is always off on my phone and I do not even switch on the wifi.

Why?

I use location for, ordering a taxi, following directions on maps. finding what I need close to me, locating other family members devices if misplaced, order food or coffee, use it with my fitness app, easy to find where I am in an emergency, sending my location to others trying to find me, work applications including being able to identify logistics I needed near me and in crisis management situations was invaluable.

Wifi off, seems you are a bit more paranoid than me, but each to their own, please do not try to persuade me to change, I am not buying any tin foil. 555555

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dexxter said:

Awesome!!! I just had a look and it has every place I have visited every single day since November 2015 when I bought my first smart phone.

I'm astounded that you think it's awesome that Google has been tracking your every move..you know they also tracked what you searched for on the WWW, watched on youtube  emails sent and received @ gmail  what apps you installed along with usage stats...your phones contact numbers  etc etc etc.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 5:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you have an Android phone, then Google Maps Timeline saves all your moves all the time.

And you can look for any moment in time 24/7 in which location you were.

The following map is low resolution from me in 2023. Bangkok and Phnom Penh. I cold lookup my location for 23 Feb, 13:15, just an example.

I can zoom in to every single house on that map.

I could look at any location, i.e. Nana Plaza, and find out when I was there for how long, etc.

In theory it is possible for the user to switch this off. But will it switch it off? Or will it just not let the user see the data anymore.

All this is saved in the cloud. We can be sure the NSA and other can look at every detail if they want to.

I think something like that also exists for Apple, but I am not familiar with that.

https://timeline.google.com/

TimeLine.png.bcc0cc448177ba26622a4d58af24f0e3.png

Edit, one evening in Nana

NanaMap.png.6cea6a8f7a936b72e87a15dfe2d18a12.png

I just tried it and it told me that my Location History is turned off, so nothing to show. If you don't want Mr G to know where you have been, turn the 4..ker OFF!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dexxter said:

If the criminal is smart they will leave their phone at home when committing a crime.

Your ex could claim you left the phone at home or loaned it to a friend to carry around while you stalk her.

I am sure a lawyer could keep arguing for or against any location evidence a phone might hold until it is dismissed in court.

Of course phone location data can be very useful to police showing them who might be of interest for further investigation.

Better to get a nano-chip implant.

So far I am rather unimpressed with technology, it has some pros but it has been used to make customers life more difficult and businesses more profitable by making it impossible for you to speak to a human at almost any business. Customer service has become deplorable.

I very much doubt I will be impressed by, or feel more secure with AI surveillance. I will be waiting for the great mistake where a troop of trigger happy soldiers bursts into my home looking for weed.

I think, like with EVs, the public and investors are being conned by AI. At the end of the day it is GIGO....garbage in, garbage out and we see with Google's rewriting of history putting women and bald men in pictures of Presidents, that it should be called AS...Artifical Stupidity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I just tried it and it told me that my Location History is turned off, so nothing to show. If you don't want Mr G to know where you have been, turn the 4..ker OFF!

That is one of those problems.

How do you know that off is actually off?

It's like that red light at the recording camera. The fact that there is no light doesn't mean the camera is off.

I forgot where I read it, but I am pretty sure one of those big companies, maybe it was Google, was fined for exactly something like that. The user switched something off, and the company showed it was off, but in reality, it was still on. They just didn't tell the user.

Personally, I think it is only possible to protect our privacy if we don't use mobile phones, no credit cards, no bank accounts, nothing like that.

There is only one problem with that. If we do that, then the authorities will know that we try to stay anonymous. And that in itself is a sign "why does this person do that"?

All in all, I think it would be nice to have privacy, but I don't think it will ever happen again. I don't like it. But I do not hate it enough to fight it. It's like that. I accept it and don't try to think about it too much. Because what would be the point of thinking about something which we can't change?

5 hours ago, johng said:

Because everyone has something to hide.

“Show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.”

Thank you for the quote.

https://www.econlib.org/show-me-the-man-and-ill-find-you-the-crime/

It actually came from  Lavrentiy Beria who was Joseph Stalin's secret police chief, and is the paradigmatic example of what the rule of law is not.

And if there was no crime, then Beria would find anything and make it fit.

• Thanks 1