Poll: As a Pattaya expat, do you hate the week-long water-splashing Songkran?

JoseThailand

Poll: As a Pattaya expat, do you hate the week-long water-splashing Songkran?  

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You need to add some context. The member punched someone for throwing water at him when he asked him not to. I don't know about you, but if I'm "playing Songkran" as I have in the past, and someone asks me not to throw water, I don't. 

On the main Songkran day of course anyone who wants to stay dry should not be out, but there are many days leading up to the main day when people would prefer to stay dry as they might want to go shopping at a mall or eat at a restaurant.

So what would you do, if falang or Thai in this circumstance,  soaks you with water. laugh it off, or  go back and start a fight.

I think anyone who thinks they can control the waves over Songkran is an idiot.

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Thank God it's over, maybe i can go out today.

I recall popping into town on the morning of the 20th before, looked like an apocalypse zombie movie in town!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

As much as I dislike Songkran, leaving the country to avoid it is a bit extreme. I just stay at home as I do most of the year. I only need to go shopping, and during the event, late at night, plenty of shops are open for my basic grocery needs. I didn't see a single water gun or bucket of water this year. The only change in my routine this year was not shopping at Big C Extra.

that's what I do every year too but it always makes me fume I can't go out because a bunch of stupid kids and drunks are blocking the streets with buckets of water. The constant pounding bass music for 3 days is depressing also. Leaving would just make all of that go away and I don't have to think about it even once. Done and dusted.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JensenZ said:

This is nonsense. Although I don't go near the high-density beer bars areas during Songkran, it's Thai people that have caused me the most grief over the years. It's an excuse for Thai people with a chip on their shoulders to have a go at foreigners.

Here are 3 examples that are probably quite familiar:

1. High-pressure water guns aimed directly at my face and/or ears when sitting on my bike waiting for the lights to change.

2. Huge buckets of ice water after 10 pm on side streets when trying to avoid water and carrying shopping.

3. Asking politely not to be splashed and getting drenched.

They only really have fun when they find dry people who don't want to be wet, and in particular, foreigners. There's no fun wetting people who are already wet and out to play.

I have also noticed that the Thais only squirt foreigners...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

that's what I do every year too but it always makes me fume I can't go out because a bunch of stupid kids and drunks are blocking the streets with buckets of water. The constant pounding bass music for 3 days is depressing also. Leaving would just make all of that go away and I don't have to think about it even once. Done and dusted.

In the old days, before the tyranny of social media, when people were happier, water throwing was ubiquitous all over greater Pattaya, with "checkpoints" and kids. If you didn't leave, you really had to stay in or brave the gauntlet. I got soaked by the security guard once just leaving my building.

Things have changed. Stay outside the bar areas, avoid passing by them, and you'll be quite safe nowadays. I went out & about several times as needed and encountered no water, powder, or ice thrown in my face.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:44 AM, quake said:

So what would you do, if falang or Thai in this circumstance,  soaks you with water. laugh it off, or  go back and start a fight.

I think anyone who thinks they can control the waves over Songkran is an idiot.

I don't understand your question. Did something I wrote lead you to conclude I am an idiot?

After nearly 20 years here, I can tell you exactly what I do at Songkran. I stay out of it. I didn't receive a single drop of water this year.

I can tell you what I did when I returned from shopping at Foodland one night after 22:00 on a side street, trying to avoid water. That was probably about 10 years ago. A Thai person dumped a bucket of ice water on me after I asked him not to. I got off my motorcycle - grabbed the offending Thai person by the head and dunked him in his tank of ice water. He didn't enjoy the experience and wanted to fight. He was about half my size, so I returned to my bike and took off. He expected me to enjoy a bucket of ice water, but he couldn't see the joy of being dunked in his own water.

Another time I was standing in traffic and a Thai menace pumped me directly in the face with a high-pressure gun. I grabbed his gun and took off with it.

Do you get the point now? I stay at home to avoid getting into fights with idiots. The water is only one of the problems during Songkran.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:09 PM, Yellowtail said:

Tap water is dirty? 

And after the first refill, the bin would be relatively clean, yes? 

Who says it's tap water? Water trucks come around and fill up those barrels. Has been known to be lake water but who knows where else they got it.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

Who says it's tap water? Water trucks come around and fill up those barrels. Has been known to be lake water but who knows where else they got it.

What's wrong with lake water? Where do you think tap-water comes from? 

• Haha 1