162 people killed, 1,279 injured in road accidents in past four days

webfact

image.jpeg

Another 38 people were killed and 311 others were injured in 317 road accidents on Sunday, bringing total death toll for four days since April 11th to 162. Altogether 1,279 people were injured.

Bangkok and Roi-et recorded the most fatalities, at 10 each, while Nakhon Si Thammarat has the most road accidents and injuries, at 50 and 54 respectively.

Speeding accounted for 37.22% of road accidents yesterday, drunk driving, 25.87% and poor visibility, 15.46%. Motorcycles were involved in 87.51% of the road accidents.

Meanwhile, 2,136 traffic violators were put on probation by the courts yesterday, most of them found guilty of drunk driving.

In the past four days, 3,890 people have been put on probation, about 96% of them were found guilty of drunk driving.

Bangkok has the most cases of drunk driving, at 399, followed by 227 cases in Nonthaburi and 214 cases in Samut Prakan.

Source: Thai PBS 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Less than the total yearly average.

Which is typical during Songkran.

Sunday was a holiday with people at their destinations.

Monday and Tuesday people will be on the move again.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

None of these numbers seem to add up, According to  the WHO, there are about 20,000 road fatalities a year in thailand, which works out to about 55 per day. 162 over 4 days is 40 per day, and yet it is pretty certain that the numbers are higher than normal over the Songkran week.  Even if we take Thailands official numbers for 2022. this works out to 40 per day, which is exactly on par wth the daily average based on Thailand own numbers, yet even the Thai government say it is higher during this week. It doesnt add up, Someone is doing something dodgy with the numbers

disagree, the first 1-2 days roads are so congested you cant go fast so reducing the fatalities, then the next few days theyre so drunk they cant drive, then you get the traffic  coming back, so holidays should be less dangerous

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Less than the total yearly average.

Which is typical during Songkran.

Some celebration, no surprises there with very little control by authorities and no breakdown  between Thai  / Foreigners at fault, again, no surprises...

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

disagree, the first 1-2 days roads are so congested you cant go fast so reducing the fatalities, then the next few days theyre so drunk they cant drive, then you get the traffic  coming back, so holidays should be less dangerous

Thai government themselves say these are the most deadly days of the year. You seem to be claiming tthey are less, but the stats dont even support that, they put them exactly on average per thais own reported numbers

As for the roads being too congested, not everywhere s Bangkok. Being too drnnk to drive? that is the main cause of the accidents, they drive even though they are too drunk to do so
Even if you do believe that, the numbers dont add up either way

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Thai government themselves say these are the most deadly days of the year.

They talk rubbish 99% of the time, its about 20k a  year but most likely  higher , that = 54 a  day. Congestion its  not  about BKK all roads are crap  at this  time , main road to Hua  Hin like a tortosie, same as for going up North Loei etc 162 in 4  days =40 a  day

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

14 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Some celebration, no surprises there with very little control by authorities and no breakdown  between Thai  / Foreigners at fault, again, no surprises...

Why should they give a breakdown ?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

That is my point, if we use the 20k number, then they really dont add up

I dont get your  point, govt claims 20k year headline says  160 /4 days =40 day my point 20k a  year =54 day, the figures are crap whichever way you take them, songkran is safer, The govt says 20k year the govt says 46 in four days.................i bet the 4  days death rate is  way more  accurate than the  yearly, i bet the yearly is way UNDER reported.

Dead going to hospital in hospital doesnt count

For years the figures  reported during  songkran are actually lower than the average day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

None of these numbers seem to add up, According to  the WHO, there are about 20,000 road fatalities a year in thailand, which works out to about 55 per day. 162 over 4 days is 40 per day, and yet it is pretty certain that the numbers are higher than normal over the Songkran week.  Even if we take Thailands official numbers for 2022. this works out to 40 per day, which is exactly on par wth the daily average based on Thailand own numbers, yet even the Thai government say it is higher during this week. It doesnt add up, Someone is doing something dodgy with the numbers

You need the official stats to make a call not general numbers. Its actually worse as deaths are only counted at the scene of the accident. If a casualty is moved to hospital and dies later of injuries it is recorded as something else .. not a road death. Bottom line is numbers as a result of accidents are even higher.

Just now, IamNoone88 said:

You need the official stats to make a call not general numbers. Its actually worse as deaths are only counted at the scene of the accident. If a casualty is moved to hospital and dies later of injuries it is recorded as something else .. not a road death. Bottom line is numbers as a result of accidents are even higher.

I have heard that many times, but never seen any proof of it, do you have any proof, or is it just hearsay? , but agree the numbers are likely to be higher than stated.  If you base it on the WHO numbers, this week is lower than average, If you base it on the Thai numbers, this week is exactly average, despite the Government saying they are significantly higher, that dont add up either way

9 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I have heard that many times, but never seen any proof of it, do you have any proof, or is it just hearsay? , but agree the numbers are likely to be higher than stated.  If you base it on the WHO numbers, this week is lower than average, If you base it on the Thai numbers, this week is exactly average, despite the Government saying they are significantly higher, that dont add up either way

no one has the "real numbers" and the who are as useless.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I realize the death and injured numbers are always high in Thailand but seeing the numbers in print at this time each year portrays Thailand as a vehicular slaughterhouse.

Extend the festivities, extend the death toll.

Correct, but TAT and the Government only see.......$$$$$$$$$..:unsure:

6 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

7 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

So you are agreeing with my original comment, that the numbers dont add up, I dont think you realise that you are agreeing though

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I realize the death and injured numbers are always high in Thailand but seeing the numbers in print at this time each year portrays Thailand as a vehicular slaughterhouse.

Extend the festivities, extend the death toll.

No. Sorry but I think you should do some research. Average from these four days is around 40 whereas the daily average over a yearly period is around 60. Of course these fatalities are only those that die at the scene or within a 24 hr period so actual numbers will be much higher.