162 people killed, 1,279 injured in road accidents in past four days

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In the past four days, 3,890 people have been put on probation, about 96% of them were found guilty of drunk driving.

Fairly obvious they should ban the sale of alcohol leading up to and during Songkran.

Everyone wants the numbers down, right?

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I realize the death and injured numbers are always high in Thailand but seeing the numbers in print at this time each year portrays Thailand as a vehicular slaughterhouse.

Extend the festivities, extend the death toll.

Less than the total yearly average.

Which is typical during Songkran.

36 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I dont get your  point, govt claims 20k year headline says  160 /4 days =40 day my point 20k a  year =54 day, the figures are crap whichever way you take them, songkran is safer, The govt says 20k year the govt says 46 in four days.................i bet the 4  days death rate is  way more  accurate than the  yearly, i bet the yearly is way UNDER reported.

Dead going to hospital in hospital doesnt count

For years the figures  reported during  songkran are actually lower than the average day

Dead going to hospital doesnt count? I hear that may times, Can you substantiate it? I am not necessarily disputing it, but I have never seen it be more than hearsay

Yes, you dont get my point, you are agreeing with me, despite the fact you appear to be arguing

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Another 38 people were killed and 311 others were injured in 317 road accidents on Sunday, bringing total death toll for four days since April 11th to 162. Altogether 1,279 people were injured.

Bangkok and Roi-et recorded the most fatalities, at 10 each, while Nakhon Si Thammarat has the most road accidents and injuries, at 50 and 54 respectively.

Speeding accounted for 37.22% of road accidents yesterday, drunk driving, 25.87% and poor visibility, 15.46%. Motorcycles were involved in 87.51% of the road accidents.

Meanwhile, 2,136 traffic violators were put on probation by the courts yesterday, most of them found guilty of drunk driving.

In the past four days, 3,890 people have been put on probation, about 96% of them were found guilty of drunk driving.

Bangkok has the most cases of drunk driving, at 399, followed by 227 cases in Nonthaburi and 214 cases in Samut Prakan.

Source: Thai PBS 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Well, good chances to hit the 300 number this year. 3 days to count left. Good luck🥴

56 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I have heard that many times, but never seen any proof of it, do you have any proof, or is it just hearsay? , but agree the numbers are likely to be higher than stated.  If you base it on the WHO numbers, this week is lower than average, If you base it on the Thai numbers, this week is exactly average, despite the Government saying they are significantly higher, that dont add up either way

I heard it from the horses mouth some years ago and saw a direct reference to it in the public domain in the past 12 months or so. It will be out there some-where. Either way, take it easy on the roads .... we don't want to be part of the official or unofficial stats ......

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

I heard it from the horses mouth some years ago and saw a direct reference to it in the public domain in the past 12 months or so. It will be out there some-where. Either way, take it easy on the roads .... we don't want to be part of the official or unofficial stats ......

The horses mouth? who exactly would that be in this instance?

162 people killed, 1,279 injured within 4 days?

No big deal.

Cannabis is the national catastrophe: 162 people with anxiety and 1,279 with reduced motivation.

Meanwhile, 2,136 traffic violators were put on probation by the courts yesterday, most of them found guilty of drunk driving.

Presumably these were all old charges pending in the legal queue?

What does 'probation' in these cases actually mean? Is it an effective deterrent? 😋

4 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

Dead going to hospital doesnt count? I hear that may times, Can you substantiate it? I am not necessarily disputing it, but I have never seen it be more than hearsay

Yes, you dont get my point, you are agreeing with me, despite the fact you appear to be arguing

replied  above

20 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

but it DOES add up that SONGKRAN has a lower death rate than a  normal day.

But the government claim that over songkran the numbers are higher, so it doesnt add up.  And it doesnt add up that it is lower over songkran because it is not lower, it meets the yearly average, that means the same not lower
either way, it does not add up!
Your maths aint mathing 

Amsterdam opts for 30 kilometers per hour in the city

A city with safer traffic The effects of a lower speed on traffic safety:  

Collisions have less impact;

Motorists have a wider field of view;

There is more time to react;

The braking distance is reduced considerably.

Source:

https://bikecity.amsterdam.nl/en/amsterdam-opts-for-30-kilometers-per-hour-in-the-city/

In highways we can decrease speed limit from 130km to 80km in order to reduse car emissions and safety.

3 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

Source:

https://bikecity.amsterdam.nl/en/amsterdam-opts-for-30-kilometers-per-hour-in-the-city/

In highways we can decrease speed limit from 130km to 80km in order to reduse car emissions and safety.

This does not solve the tailgating issue that happens in thailand if one doesn’t understand the concept of safe breaking distance 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

If you get caught drunk driving, you should be banned from driving, heavily fined or jailed. None of this probation bs, there needs to be serious fines and jail time. Time they got serious about it, but yeah, I know TIT

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

But the government claim that over songkran the numbers are higher, so it doesnt add up.  And it doesnt add up that it is lower over songkran because it is not lower, it meets the yearly average, that means the same not lower
Your maths aint mathing 

id  say yours isnt adding up and using their figures which we both know are  false but we have to use you cant mix an match theyre saying 40 a  day during songkran which is the gist of this argument and then yearly 20k  proving by their figures songkran is  safer regardless if  they say its more dangerous they give out the numbers proving it isnt, they deal with a populace who havent a  clue in many cases.

their figures say 40 a  day in songkran and  54 out of songkran making songkran safer. and the latest figures back that up, now up to 200 over 5 days and its been like that every year since forever, go back to last year and check and before excepting covid. 

nothing more to add.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

This does not solve the tailgating issue that happens in thailand if one doesn’t understand the concept of safe breaking distance 

correct its the old BS of speed is the be all and end  all  when really its just a money making govt scam. You can drive perfectly safety at any speed if distance is kept, except in a dense area where with the amount of traffic these days is  impossible anyway, speed for conditions

6 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Source:

more bs using "emissions" global warming as the go to for any reason to prohibit.............. ok so we go all electric we can speed up right? i mean ....no emissions, no wait it will then be particulate matter from tyres right!!!

16 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

Your maths aint mathing 

I've never heard them claim that's it's higher, but they always dub it the "7 deadly days" to make the people think about driving safer. Labling some days as deadly isn't the same as saying they're more dangerous than other days. 

On 4/16/2024 at 11:12 AM, Ralf001 said:

Why should they give a breakdown ?

Really? Headlines etc etc when farangs do wrong but not much about what the Thai contribution is...

7 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Really? Headlines etc etc when farangs do wrong but not much about what the Thai contribution is...

Have there been any headlines etc etc since Friday about foreigners at fault in regards to road deaths ?

Edited by Ralf001

In between all the traffic jams, I could clearly see all types of vehicles going even faster during the four days.

With all the stats on accidents here especially at Songkran nothing phases them.

Gotta get to that bottle of Hongtong

• Haha 1

and the winners?

mechanics

morticians

alcohol companies

yaba dealers

pot shops

chinese water gun sellers

crappy plastic phone pouches

stupid floral shirts thais dont seem to keep from last year

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, twizzian said:

In between all the traffic jams, I could clearly see all types of vehicles going even faster during the four days.

With all the stats on accidents here especially at Songkran nothing phases them.

Gotta get to that bottle of Hongtong

ive always been a sangsom connessior and will mow down a granny to get it.....ahh sangsom..the gift and the curse

• Haha 1