Dimmer for LED bulbs

@Crossy

When using LED bulbs, what would be the most appropriate dimmer to use: The one with a  power rating close to the total rating of the bulbs, or the one with a much higher rating?

Example: 4 LED bulbs at 10 W each: Use a 50 watt dimmer or 300 watt dimmer?

Or doesn't it matter, as long as you are below the max rating of the dimmer?

Which one will give better regulation?

Also: Is the any real difference (except power rating) between a dimmer for old style (incandescent) bulbs and LED bulbs?

I'm assuming you want to dim mains (220V) LEDs.

Your first port of call should be the instructions for your LED lamps.

Many modern lamps will actually work just fine with conventional dimmers but whether your particular lamps will work with your particular dimmers is still something of a lottery (it used to be a black-art).

Ask the advice of the seller of both the lamps and the dimmers.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Many modern lamps will actually work just fine with conventional dimmers but whether your particular lamps will work with your particular dimmers is still something of a lottery (it used to be a black-art).

I'd agree, but I'd add that there's no such thing as a 220V LED bulb, nor an LED bulb that runs on A/C voltage.  They all run on D/C, at much lower than 220V. 

What you're really trying to control is the circuitry that converts 220V A/C to whatever the LED bulbs themselves require.  And makers of "220V LEDs" have a very mixed bag of how they do that.  That's why some dimmers work and others just gum things up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

The bulbs are "dimmable LED" bulbs meant for 220 volts.

These do work on a conventional dimmer, it was more bout the optimal wattage I was asking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

LED lights need special dimmers. Ordinary dimmers don't work for them, it's a completely different technology.

Here you can learn a lot about LEDs, etc. It is technical.

Home of the QuinLED LED Controllers - quinled.info

Thanks for the link, but it is not really that part of LEDs I'm looking for. More the garden, vanilla variety

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

The bulbs are "dimmable LED" bulbs meant for 220 volts.

These do work on a conventional dimmer, it was more bout the optimal wattage I was asking.

The dimmer may have a minimum wattage, but if not, I'd aim for running it at about 30% of its rated power. 

1 hour ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

Thanks for the link, but it is not really that part of LEDs I'm looking for. More the garden, vanilla variety

I understand.

But I guess a few more people will look at this thread. And above is a good source for lots of information about LEDs and LED controllers.

The guy also has an interesting YouTube channel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am upgrading the lighting in the master bedroom that has a total of 8 of those old-fashioned dimmable GU5.3 12 V incandescent downlights, each with a heat-generating 60W transformer inline. I am looking to replace them with dimmable LED downlights, about 3.5 W to 5 W so they fit the same sized holes in the ceiling (9 cm o.d and a 7 cm hole).

I got ahead of myself and purchased some new LED dimmer switches (to replace the incandescent dimmer switches) and LED downlights but didn't know that the LED lights need to be dimmable and the ones I bought aren't! No worries, they can be used in the new annex.

So, looking around for dimmable LED's and the local market seems a bit sparse. Lazada seems to have some, with most coming from China. If anyone has done this already, what did you buy?

Something like this (from the UK) would be nice. I can always replace the socket bases to GU10 on the current BEC fittings.

6led.jpg.dcbe4f67cfeb5cb361339c182dde33e8.jpg

Sorted. Checked the newly opened Mega Home and in among the GU3.5's were a couple of Lamptan MR16 DIM 7W LED. At 289 baht, more double the price of the non-dimmable and available in both daylight and warm white. Bought one of each to test back home with the new Panasonic LED dimmers, and they worked great. The LEDs also fit inside the existing BEC adjustable holders and use the same connector, so just a case of buying three more tomorrow, removing the old step-down transformers and replacing the dimmer switches. There was also a cheaper Lumax ECO JCDR 6W at 129 baht, but it only comes in warm white.

• Like 1

Why not get LED WiFi RGB bulbs, about Bht 100 on Lazada. Then control power, brightness and colour from your PC or phone.

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why not get LED WiFi RGB bulbs, about Bht 100 on Lazada. Then control power, brightness and colour from your PC or phone.

Mainly because my house is a menagerie with too many indolent sitting around all day doing 'stuff' on their smartphones. I don't need a phone app to change my 'mood.'

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Think you will find Philips LED lamps require a dedicated type dimmer else they will flicker and drive everyone nuts.

https://reductionrevolution.com.au/products/diginet-led-dimmer

Noted. Per my earlier post, I have sorted the local issue but if I ever went to Screwfix or B&Q in the UK for those, I would hope that the salesperson would advise me of such and sell me the bespoke dimmer as well.

As it stands, as of yesterday, there's a pushy sales chap at my local Mega Home who now knows the difference between regular and dimmable, and it's not just about the latter being paeng.