Best Supermarket Naklua Road.

NONG CHOK

As there's no U turn at the top of North Road I find that Makro is a bit difficult to get to. Whilst Makros neat and veg is excellent, many of their packs are for business use.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Does Friendship offer same?

Best's old customers will continue to shop at Best. That now includes a lot of Russians and far fewer Germans than in the heyday of Naklua Rd. For newer arrivals, word spreads quickly w/i the community. They don't mind a bit that the liquor is now right up front, though before it was immediately to the left of the main entrance.

There's a lot more parking now than before. Best hasn't been particularly cheap in many years, but it probably beats Tops up the street and Foodland, the latter requiring one go into T21.

So my guess is that it'll do OK w/o the need for marketing gimmicks. If they feel a need for the latter, they're capable of meeting it.

I'm not referring to Friendship. They haven't moved and are usually busy . BEST is not that busy....at least not in the times that I visited. Of course great for the few regulars.

9 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I'm not referring to Friendship. They haven't moved and are usually busy .

They didn't move because they didn't even exist. But Friendship is set back from Pattaya Thai and has never needed any cafe up front to draw customers. Best is probably busier now than Friendship when it first opened because it has a pre-existing customer base. In the past, potential customers would avoid Best because of the lack of parking.

It's been just in the past week or so that Best began to look fully open rather than under construction. 

• Agree 1

Just now, BigStar said:

They didn't move because they didn't even exist. But Friendship is set back from Pattaya Thai and has never needed any cafe up front to draw customers. Best is probably busier now than Friendship when it first opened because it has a pre-existing customer base. In the past, potential customers would avoid Best because of the lack of parking.

It's been just in the past week or so that Best began to look fully open rather than under construction. 

Wrong. The first Friendship was on Pattaya Tai close to Walking Street. The new biggesr branch arrived in 1996..  Your claims about BEST being busier is based on nothing at all.

They both had two branches each. BEST on Klang opposite the old TOPS and Friendship with two on Pattaya Tai.

You have no evidence at all at to how busy the new Friendship was compared to how busy the New BEST is.

24 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Wrong. The first Friendship was on Pattaya Tai close to Walking Street. The new biggesr branch arrived in 1996.. 

OK, but then new bigger branch didn't exist, just as the new bigger Best didn't. Close enuff? 🙂

27 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You have no evidence at all at to how busy the new Friendship was compared to how busy the New BEST is.

I do, because I went into the new Friendship not long after it opened. Took time to ramp up, too. Now in your favor it did have the benches and even a small table or two right outside for a monger to enjoy a cheap beer & snack. Similarly, Best had the seating area around the big tree in the back. But times have changed.

Just now, BigStar said:

OK, but then new bigger branch didn't exist, just as the new bigger Best didn't. Close enuff? 🙂

I do, because I went into the new Friendship not long after it opened. Took time to ramp up, too. Now in your favor it did have the benches and even a small table or two right outside for a monger to enjoy a cheap beer & snack. Similarly, Best had the seating area around the big tree in the back. But times have changed.

I'm sure there is seating outside the new BEST supermarket too, so I'm not sure of your point there.

Everything I wrote still stands. Went there twice and walked out empty handed twice. Have you visited their website? No English nor any other language version than Thai. 

No doubt it will pick up, due to it's location and product lines. But it's still a horrible soulless place.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

I'm sure there is seating outside the new BEST supermarket too

Probably, but last time I visited, I didn't notice any. You should know.

3 minutes ago, NowNow said:

No doubt it will pick up, due to it's location and product lines.

Exactly my point and the reason they don't need any coffee shop out front and good smells wafting out. And they'll probably have English (or Russian, ha ha) on the website as they ramp up. Meanwhile, Google translate will do.

It's a better website than I expected. Having online ordering now is remarkable progress and may slow foot traffic to an extent, except for the booze. Best has almost always had good prices on that, too. Now try Foodland's online ordering. 🙂 Try Google translate on Foodland's posted notice. WOT??? 

30 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Probably, but last time I visited, I didn't notice any. You should know.

Exactly my point and the reason they don't need any coffee shop out front and good smells wafting out. And they'll probably have English (or Russian, ha ha) on the website as they ramp up. Meanwhile, Google translate will do.

It's a better website than I expected. Having online ordering now is remarkable progress and may slow foot traffic to an extent, except for the booze. Best has almost always had good prices on that, too. Now try Foodland's online ordering. 🙂 Try Google translate on Foodland's posted notice. WOT??? 

So now you know. I know, because I saw someone sitting there.

Listen @BigStar, their website existed a long time before the new supermarket was built. Why do you feel the need to try to show you know it best without really knowing anything? They have also had a Shopee presence for some time now. 

The supermarket looks terrible, their website not particularly accessible. This is how it is now. Friendship a lot better run currently. Of course I hope they improve and I made some suggestions. 

Everyone has their own choice where they shop. I never drive my car when I go shopping in Pattaya unless I buy bulk beer or heavy items. In saying that I used to walk to the old Best Supermarket it was 15 minutes from my home. Now it's directly over the road, if you need a coffee or food there's a variety of shops over the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NowNow said:

Listen @BigStar, their website existed a long time before the new supermarket was built.

But you see, @NowNow, I remember when they had NO website even before the new supermarket was built, duh. I also remember when the new Friendship wasn't there and when it opened. Now it did get some buzz at the time in the Pattaya Mail. By contrast, I haven't seen any in there about the new Best, but I no longer read the Pattaya Mail cover-to-cover, just the headlines from their RSS feed.

Why do you feel the need to try to show you know it best without really knowing anything?

It's just a fact that they once had no website, and it's good that they did come up with one and are capable of change. Guess you'll have to suck it up. Nothing shocking here. It's actually you claiming to know best what Best should be doing, based on your own impressive Authority. Me, I think Best knows best what's best for Best, it's their money on the line, and none of your assertions yet prove otherwise. Got it now? You may live in hope.

The supermarket looks terrible, their website not particularly accessible. This is how it is now.

Those are issues NOW, and you've now agreed with me that, since the new Best is only just starting, they'll probably improve. But they're not really the BIG issues you imagine that require them to have a coffee shop in front.

If they have the products at an attractive price, customers--Pattaya customers, this ain't Honolulu or Tokyo--will seek them out, shop, and buy, they don't care. You remind me of how people 50 years ago couldn't imagine how a basic warehouse w/ boxes stacked high on shelves, little display, and little customer service could possibly compete with conventional full-service retailers. 🙂

So we'll just need to disagree on the coffee shop out front and other marketing gimmicks at present, sorry. I've noted that if they feel the need for any gimmicks, they're capable of implementing them.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

except for the booze. Best has almost always had good prices on that, too.

Let it go Lou, the new branch of Best is a disaster and an unattractive design, with very few customers. Who want to drive half way up Naklua road when there are many similar shops nearby?

Yes those that live near the new branch may find it convenient.

Best always been cheaper on booze, but I have visited 3 times already, and all booze is more expensive than any other shop, including friendship.

Of course I didn't check every bottle of booze, but did the most common ones.

• Thanks 1

Similar shops nearby? It's a tourist area and most tourist don't drive cars. So the nearest super markets are Lotus in Pattaya Nua or Big C in Pattaya Sorng or Pattaya Klang. May I add that even the old Best Supermarket was really set up for tourists as it was was surrounded by hotels and resorts. Being tourist orientated they have never had a wide range of meat products, again how many tourists have cooking facilities. All supermarkets only supply on demand.

The nearest supermarket to the new Best is Foodland in Terminal 21 which is open 24/7. Going before the mall opens is a good time to visit.

Although Best was never the best, and still isn't, the new location is super convenient for me so I'll be a regular customer.

• Agree 2

I forgot about Foodland even though I live in the area, actually I've never been inside of Terminal 21, to me it's just another Asian shower of s**t.

Edited by Mason45
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Mason45 said:

I forgot about Foodland even though I live in the area, actually I've never been inside of Terminal 21, to me it's just another Asian shower of s**t.

Seems like you need to get out more.

• Agree 1

Shopping malls are focused at attracting spend thrifts where the goods are over priced all because of the exorbitant rents the shop keepers have to pay. If Terminal 21 etc turn you on thainet then go for it, again it's freedom of choice. The tops in Central is much more expensive than the old Tops before it was relocated, how much rent would Tops be paying for Central now.

IMG_20240624_122342.thumb.jpg.d31e0d00210e2b66b09e1cff70502a25.jpgJust when you thought it could not get any better-- A wire fence. What's next Keep Out signs?. I asked the small lady boss if there is going to be a separate walk in entrance apart from the driveway entrance. She kept saying it's ok you can walk in the driveway. I said it's not ok with me and most likely other foreigners too. I think she got it. Because there were only about 5 customers in there . They are in no position to make it difficult to enter.

• Sad 2