Can I call the IRS 1-800 toll-free from Thailand

How can I call the IRS 1-800 toll-free from Thailand? I am using Skype on a PC. I know that I am supposed to call during "local time" hours, but how does that translate time wise for us living here in Thailand? I called at 6, 7, and 8 pm Thai time, but keep getting that they're closed and only automated services are available. 

I have the "267-941-1000 Monday through Friday from 6am to 8pm Eastern time" info, but it's NOT toll free.

Thanks

It is possible to have a Skype subscription that allows for unlimited calls to landline and mobile numbers in the US, including toll-free numbers, for a flat fee of about $40 per year.  

This comes in particularly handy when calling government agencies like the IRS or large corporates that keep a caller on hold for lengthy periods before a representative becomes available.

I think most references to Federal government operating times are east coast time unless otherwise stated. We're eleven hours ahead of the eastern time zone while the US is on DST and 12 when not. This time of year, call after 8 pm Thailand time and you should be good.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Agree 1

I keep a skype account with about $12 USD balance. I can make free 800 number calls to the US all day long. About once every 6 months Micro$oft requires me to make a toll call of some sort. I send a text to my Thai phone, costs about $0.02

My Skype account is funded and I use it regularly to call other 1-800 numbers with no problem. I have called after 8:00 p.m. Thailand time and still received the "only automated systems are available" message. I can't figure out why I am not getting through.