"Smart" trickle chargers are the worst things ever invented

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Hahahahaha, using a trickle charger on a dead flat battery !

It was a drained battery genius. Not a dead flat battery genius. Understand that genius ? Or should I draw a picture.

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Sad 1

I bought a CTEK 5.0 many years ago … try to remember to put it on our batteries every couple of weeks or so … never had a battery fail and usually get 4 years out of them.

20 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

You have that backwards. The "smart" charger has features in it for stupid people. 

Most of these "chargers" won't even start charging a battery that is below 10.x volts. If you think a battery below 10 volts is garbage, then again, you probably haven't wrenched on anything in your life. 

If your "smart" charger has features for stupid people then it should work just fine for you 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Your phone charger isn't designed to charge your phone battery after you run it dead either. But obviously it does happen and if the battery is in satisfactory condition, the charger will bring the battery back to 100%. The same is true for car battery trickle chargers. (the same was true until these new abortions) 

A dumb trickle charger will bring a drained battery back up to charge, everytime. And it is the method battery manufactures recommend. 

maybe next time hook your phone charger up to your car battery and see if that will work

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hahahahaha, using a trickle charger on a dead flat battery !

This comment just shows how manifestly clueless and arrogant some people can manage to be. Amazing really.

Here is an article explaining how to charge up a flat dead battery. And guess what. They are using a trickle charger. https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-outsmarting-the-smart-battery-charger/

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952hz7kx6ylakoqdhadg9

4 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

This comment just shows how manifestly clueless and arrogant some people can manage to be. Amazing really.

Here is an article explaining how to charge up a flat dead battery. And guess what. They are using a trickle charger. https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-outsmarting-the-smart-battery-charger/

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952hz7kx6ylakoqdhadg9

We've all left the building...........🤔

Posted (edited)

A mechanic friend of mine just sent me this pic. He charged up a completely dead battery from an old car he just bought. With a "smart" trickle charger. He just uses a small float charger to trick the "smart" charger into working. If it was an old "dumb" trickle charger, you wouldn't have to trick it. It would just power on when you plug it in. Which is the moral of the thread for anyone who just likes sharing information and learning. Instead of getting triggered by my tone. I guess I have to be more politically correct in the shop for some of the sensitive types. :wink: 

Edited by Harsh Jones

6 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Best come back of the year! Do you want a participation trophy so your feelings don’t get hurt ?

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Best come back of the year! Do you want a participation trophy so your feelings don’t get hurt ?

It had nothing to do with my feelings. What you said was just wrong. Very very wrong.

7 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I bought a CTEK 5.0 many years ago … try to remember to put it on our batteries every couple of weeks or so … never had a battery fail and usually get 4 years out of them.

Making this about me now...    as my Bike is attached to a CTEK 5.0... But, the bike wont start....

I thought it was the battery not being up to 'muster'...  however, the photo of the trickle-charger below indicates that an issue I initially thought was the battery is in-fact, something else....     The power comes on, but the engine will not turn over and start.

I'm going to have to go and have a 'fettle' and find out why... 

image.thumb.png.4569ecb845639fa143ed513afc53f9ae.png

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Making this about me now...    as my Bike is attached to a CTEK 5.0... But, the bike wont start....

I thought it was the battery not being up to 'muster'...  however, the photo of the trickle-charger below indicates that an issue I initially thought was the battery is in-fact, something else....     The power comes on, but the engine will not turn over and start.

I'm going to have to go and have a 'fettle' and find out why... 

image.thumb.png.4569ecb845639fa143ed513afc53f9ae.png

As you realise that’s showing fully charged … https://www.manua.ls/ctek/xs-0-8/manual?p=2 … in case you have lost your manual …as you say have to look elsewhere ….

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

As you realise that’s showing fully charged … https://www.manua.ls/ctek/xs-0-8/manual?p=2 … in case you have lost your manual …as you say have to look elsewhere ….

Yep... Went out there with the socket set and multimeter... ready to check the Battery....   Didn't even get that far... 

Motorbike on the centre-stand...  only then I noticed the side stand was also down....   Flipped up the side stand and Bingo... 

School boy error...     The bike has been stationary since December !!!....   

(last time I tried to start the bike the side stand was down and it wouldn't start !!)

Trickle-Chargers are Awesome !!!!...   I've no idea what the Ops issue is !!!