Online romance and marriage, or prostitution or ?

william61

This happened near the village where we have a home where we stay when not in Bangkok. 

One young village girl, 16 years old and from a poor family found an 40/50 year old expat online from a city 50 or 60 km away, and they chatted online for few months. He speaks and chats in English and she only knows Thai. Then a month ago, during the school holiday the guy visited and offered to marry the girl.  The family seemed to think a dream came true and asked for half million baht financial support, which was negotiated down to 200.000 or less.  There was no real marriage and no paperwork done. Lots of stories were going around as the family has to ask other villagers to help with translations...

Then the guy stayed in the village for a month with the girl and after the first days it went downhill according to the stories. The guy could not communicate in Thai and his only interest seems to be in the sex.   He then left and took all that he bought for the family with him. Now they seem to have broken up, with the girl staying in another village for her safety, and the foreigner coming back the first time, threatening with lawyers and police to demand back the money, and coming back a few days later with flowers to make up and ask to take the girl with him.

Surprisingly, after all this time, nobody knows his name or address, not even the "wife". Nobody knows where he lives, what he does for a living etc.

So many things are wrong, so many red flags, and with a foreigner involved (who should know better!).

If the girl would have been forced to go with the guy then this would be trafficking but luckily she is still in the village.

I am interested to hear your views and if there are similar experiences, and suggestions on what to do / not to do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

This is how they practiced arranged marriages before, and still some few choose to either send their daughters away to find work, or find a husband to them. 

So what is their options, if not able to create a life for themselves? Either fabric somewhere if lucky, or "pattaya" jst for the generalization sake

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

This is how they practiced arranged marriages before, and still some few choose to either send their daughters away to find work, or find a husband to them. 

So what is their options, if not able to create a life for themselves? Either fabric somewhere if lucky, or "pattaya" jst for the generalization sake

The available option is to finish school and find a job. Their is no lack of employment in the tourism and manufacturing industries as long as people finish secondary school. This family tried a shortcut that did not work, another youngster in the village opened a bank account and gave the number and pw to a "friend": He is now in prison as the account was used by a call center. Others are trying their luck on gambling (close to zero chance) or other illegal stuff.
Final option is to grow rice and walk the cows to the fields - but this is reserved for the oldies returning from work in cities.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, william61 said:

The available option is to finish school and find a job. Their is no lack of employment in the tourism and manufacturing industries as long as people finish secondary school. This family tried a shortcut that did not work, another youngster in the village opened a bank account and gave the number and pw to a "friend": He is now in prison as the account was used by a call center. Others are trying their luck on gambling (close to zero chance) or other illegal stuff.
Final option is to grow rice and walk the cows to the fields - but this is reserved for the oldies returning from work in cities.

You forget one thing, many fall out of school out of many reasons, and is not an option for many. 

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You forget one thing, many fall out of school out of many reasons, and is not an option for many. 

Correct, there are lots of these as well. Their options are limited to the jobs that go for the minimum salary and are often already done by the guests from Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia - easy prey for criminals looking for couriers, call center operators +++. Not sure what the required qualifications are to become a motor taxi driver.

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And if they are married, would it be illegal if they have sex?

I think the parents have to agree for a 16 year old girl to marry. And I guess if they agree to that then that includes what married people do with each other.

This is not about my opinion if it is right or wrong, it's about the legal situation.

This is complicated: there is legal age for sex with consent (15?), the legal age to get married (17), but they did not actually get married. The remaining option, if not married, is paying for the service, which is illegal. Other options?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, william61 said:

I am with you, there are multiple issues.

What struck me as odd and got me to ask more questions was not the expat or farang, or the age gap. The thing that set me off was that it seemed to be only about sex for the guy: from online contact using google translate to getting married on the first meeting. no courting, no honeymoon, no effort to get to know her parents, purely a financial transaction. 

Then nobody knows his name, address (or marital status) and the girl was asked to call him darling...

In the end the girl realized that real life with this guy is not the same as online and put an end to it.

She realized that it was not what we expected and she ended it. Good. I don't know if it would be fair to give him (part of) the money back.

The situation that he married her right away is obviously bad. But let's assume for a moment that he and her have a wonderful online relationship. All wonderful, and they love each other, and they want to have sex with each other. And then? Could they have legally sex if they are not married? As far as I know parents could complain and a guy could go to jail for sex with a girl, even if she enthusiastically said yes. Thinking about that, marriage kind of makes sense. Kind of.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Agree somehow with OMF, but this also could be, first he has sex with her (first?) and then later take her and prostitute her or even sell her.

Joran vd Sloot (alleged Nathalie killer) came to Thailand for dealing in Thai girls for prostitution abroad..

I knew a Thai "girl" (in 30 ties and even mom) married an Aussie and lived in Aussie land. She told me her husband wanted her to have sex with his friends !

Surprise ! I advised her, if she didnt want, to leave and eventually she left, back to Thailand. We lost further contact.

Met a Dutch guy, who married Thai woman, even had own company. He told me, his plan was to have sex parties, swinging.

He didnt told her yet at that time, just married.

It is life and you can meet the weirdest people, with or without good intentions.

And I guess not only the foreigners are the crazy guys. We read often enough with what rich Thais get away with. We can be pretty sure there are also not so old females involved. But obviously the Thai journalists know what they better don't publish. Talk instead about those bad guys from Burma and those farangs... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I guess not only the foreigners are the crazy guys. We read often enough with what rich Thais get away with. We can be pretty sure there are also not so old females involved. But obviously the Thai journalists know what they better don't publish. Talk instead about those bad guys from Burma and those farangs... 

No, it is global. Once saw docu, as in India, girls from age 7 were bought or even kidnapped and used in prostitution.

Or, in the news from India, as higher placed class, you are allowed to rape a lower class woman. 

In AN , how a baby is raped in Thailand ! Or a female teacher is brutalizing a very young student.

Japan, how a woman eats sh*t out of the ass.

How a 70 year old celebrity is doing a "golden shower"and surprised with those friends to have it shared on internet. 

Weird things happen everywhere. So now and then I wonder what is normal or weird these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

May I ask, is this a case of facts or is it something that the locals are talking about? I'm not defending either party but it could well have a completely different set of arguments.

From his pov. Did he know she was 16? How did he get to meet a 16 year old online when the dating aps ask that you consent to being 18? Why would he pay that much cash just for sex? Maybe he genuinely loved her and soon found out that after his cash was taken the goalposts changed. Could be that he's the one being deceived. Could being the all-important word.

From her POV, was she forced into it by the family? Did she think she'd meet the perfect, kind foreign hero only to find out he was the same as any man?

I think the whole story needs solid facts before people can truly judge.

If however, he knew she was 16, was willing to pay that sort of cash and was actively looking for girls that age online, it suggests he's a predator of some sort.

If however, she deliberately sought a foreigner to pay up for her family and made him all sorts of promises then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this naive chap has been snared. These stories of farangs being tricked and ripped off go right back to the history of Thai-westerner relationships.

Sounds like something Stickman would getting to the bottom of.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

May I ask, is this a case of facts or is it something that the locals are talking about? I'm not defending either party but it could well have a completely different set of arguments.

From his pov. Did he know she was 16? How did he get to meet a 16 year old online when the dating aps ask that you consent to being 18? Why would he pay that much cash just for sex? Maybe he genuinely loved her and soon found out that after his cash was taken the goalposts changed. Could be that he's the one being deceived. Could being the all-important word.

From her POV, was she forced into it by the family? Did she think she'd meet the perfect, kind foreign hero only to find out he was the same as any man?

I think the whole story needs solid facts before people can truly judge.

If however, he knew she was 16, was willing to pay that sort of cash and was actively looking for girls that age online, it suggests he's a predator of some sort.

If however, she deliberately sought a foreigner to pay up for her family and made him all sorts of promises then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this naive chap has been snared. These stories of farangs being tricked and ripped off go right back to the history of Thai-westerner relationships.

Sounds like something Stickman would getting to the bottom of.

Good post, there could be lots of things going on, including lots of shady things.

Imagine she told him that her parents want to send her into prostitution. And she told the guy she doesn't want that and he can rescue her by marrying her. It could be. Lots of other situations could be. I think we should be very careful making up our minds about her and him and her family. All and each of them could be predators and all and each of them could be innocent. Could... 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, william61 said:

The thing that set me off was that it seemed to be only about sex for the guy: from online contact using google translate to getting married on the first meeting. no courting, no honeymoon, no effort to get to know her parents, purely a financial transaction. 

Always amusing when seeing an older guy and younger lady using Google translate. Whether in a bar in Hua Hin or on street in Soi 4 Bangkok. Come on guys. You can, and should, be better than that!

• Confused 1