MoD accused of ‘go-slow’ with half of £900m Ukraine fund unused

image.png

The British Ministry of Defence (MoD) has come under criticism for bureaucratic delays in distributing funds from a £900 million military support package for Ukraine. Despite significant contributions from multiple countries, including the UK, only £404 million has been committed or spent so far.

Critics, including shadow defence secretary John Healey, have accused the MoD of moving too slowly in providing essential military equipment to Ukraine, especially as Russia escalates its aggression. Healey emphasized the need for accelerated support to Ukraine in the face of Russian attacks.

The International Fund for Ukraine, established in 2022 after Russia's invasion, was intended to swiftly finance military training and equipment for Ukraine. However, the distribution of funds has been hindered by bureaucratic processes, with the MoD citing the need to assess numerous defense companies tendering for contracts.

The delays risk deterring potential donors, as President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has highlighted the impact of slowed weapon provision on the frontline. Russia's advances and the lack of Ukrainian air defense have compounded the urgency of delivering military assistance.

Despite challenges, equipment such as unmanned aerial systems and heavy-duty vehicles has been provided to Ukraine. The MoD defended its approach, emphasizing thoroughness in reviewing industry responses to fund requirements.

While efforts continue to bolster support for Ukraine, criticisms of bureaucratic delays underscore the pressing need for swift and effective military assistance amid ongoing conflict with Russia.

Source

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:47 AM, Social Media said:

The MoD defended its approach, emphasizing thoroughness in reviewing industry responses to fund requirements.

Good for them. They are sending equipment to apparently one of the most corrupt countries in the Northern continent, so they need to be extra careful that the usual suspects are not taking advantage of taxpayer support to enrich themselves.

One wonders who the people complaining are?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Seriously, you need help!

Wouldnt be to sure he is the one who need help, not in a case where it is about corruption in Ukraine, which continue to give ukraine more trouble than necessary especially during the war against Russia, where all available resources is needed to win this war. 

One problem with giving aid and support to Ukraine, is corruption, and where some of  the weapons and support ends up.

It have been many corruption articles, so wondering why you guys have not paid attention. Even responsible to deliver food for the front,

Just a few heads up of many

"Payment was made in advance, with some funds transferred abroad, but no arms were ever provided.

Corruption has been a major stumbling block in Ukraine's bid to join the European Union.

"The SBU said an investigation had "exposed" officials of the ministry of defence and managers of arms supplier Lviv Arsenal, "who stole nearly 1.5 billion hryvnias in the purchase of shells"."

Read more

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68120973

The scheme involves the purchase of food which was intended as humanitarian aid. Two high-ranking Ukrainian officials have been named as suspects in an embezzlement scheme uncovered by Ukrainian anti-corruption authorities this week, involving the procurement of humanitarian aid.25. aug. 2566 BE

This is just the latest wave of corruption that has swept Ukraine since the war with Russia started in 2022. In January, two major corruption scandals centered on government procurement of military catering services and electrical generators shook the country

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-corruption-railway-ukrzaliznytsia-food-volodymyr-zelenskyy/

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Says the man that backs Putins desire to wipe out Ukraine and all it's people.

Why do you always back the aggressors, what satisfaction do you get from supporting invading forces.

Just for balance, I have never taken anything you said seriously!

This is your cowardly way of debating in every tread, giving me intentions I do not have. But thats how singularity works, cant see the whole picture and meanings. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hummin said:

This is your cowardly way of debating in every tread, giving me intentions I do not have. But thats how singularity works, cant see the whole picture and meanings. 

Don't call me a coward! 

5 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Just for balance, I have never taken anything you said seriously!

Then you should read the links, and do some background checks that proves Ukraine war suffer because of corruption. It is valid links, but some try their best to cover up facts, but still there is plenty.

Bad politically if there is to much focus on the negative especially politically in Usa. 

Why do you believe I would lime to have Putin on my doorstep stronger than ever? 

Being realistic is something different from wanting Putin to wipe out Ukraine, creating another wave of emmigrants. We have enough already, and more is on their way from Middle east.

Sober up

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

You are so much like TBL in the sense that you talk the biggest load of nonsense and all because of your hatred for the USA and the Jews, it is disgraceful how you post on here, all of it to have a dig at (in this case) Ukraine.

Educate yourself and see what damage and massacres the Russians are responsible for in Ukraine, but that doesn't matter to you just as you can blame the USA and not the demented demagod in the Kremlin, never Russia to blame eh.

You cant be more wrong, being realistic and aware of what going on in reality, have nothing with hate to do. 

But thats a long shot to reach you, and you do not understand this double morality is exactly what Putin wants to see and use as propeganda towards Moscow and russia friendly countries. 

Such as India and China, several middle east countries, Sout American and African. 

Im no the the problem here, we as an alliance is the priblem, when we do not adress problems that can and will end us. 

The internal problems in Usa is part of it. 

Realism is the wors

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, transam said:

Sorry, but on this subject, I don't agree with you at all..........😥

So there is no corruption that have happen during the supply andnaid of this war that have created problems for Ukraine in the war against Russians? 

One simple question?

Corruption have been up for debate among many contributors, and have lead to two top Ukraine ministers leaving their posts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

Let me see if I understand. Military professionals sworn to defend the country have been given some public funds by elected amateurs. Then these professionals have not given the funds to a third party who don't defend the country. 

They may have given others surplus old equipment they don't need anymore and will use the funds to replace the donated stuff with new stuff so they can defend the country?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3