Are You Reading AI-created Fake News?

On 4/21/2024 at 7:16 PM, theblether said:

It's clearly fake. No serious author would write - "The crowd erupted in cheers as noodles rained down like confetti." And that was just one among many absurd lines. 

Anyway - AI - if prompted - admits its unable to create nuance - and human's are not as consistent is style - hence experienced eyes can see it's fake in a couple of lines. 

Also, there's a reverse text search available that tells you where the original text was originated - hence how many students are being captured using AI. 

Plagiarism-style checkers are very advanced. While I accept that some people would read that and think it's true, others will uncover the truth in moments and until AI learns how to write like humans and defeats plagiarism software these articles will be called out. 

Now, if you are having a go at certain "news" outlets who have gained a reputation for using AI - they are content spinning to avoid legal consequences including accusations of copyright theft. Content spinning was the scourge of the Internet at one time and it appears to be making a comeback since AI exploded.  

In reality, I think you are mixing 2 notions: plagiarism and texts generated by AI.  Regarding plagiarism, there are indeed tools that allow you to tell whether a text is original or copied.  In any case, it is integrated into the Google engine and a plagiarized text will not be referenced or very poorly.  

Concerning AI, there are detection tools to know if a text was generated by AI or by a human.  However, it is entirely possible to circumvent them.  

AI is a no-code tool (more than real Artificial Intelligence as we imagine it: a robot that thinks).  Used well, it's fantastic.  The problem is that everyone has their opinion on AI, but few know how to use it optimally and, above all, know everything that can be asked of it.  Finally, human beings have this constant habit of always wanting to divert things and we all pay the consequences.  This is also why the internet has become a real trash can.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

In reality, I think you are mixing 2 notions: plagiarism and texts generated by AI.  Regarding plagiarism, there are indeed tools that allow you to tell whether a text is original or copied.  In any case, it is integrated into the Google engine and a plagiarized text will not be referenced or very poorly.  

Concerning AI, there are detection tools to know if a text was generated by AI or by a human.  However, it is entirely possible to circumvent them.  

AI is a no-code tool (more than real Artificial Intelligence as we imagine it: a robot that thinks).  Used well, it's fantastic.  The problem is that everyone has their opinion on AI, but few know how to use it optimally and, above all, know everything that can be asked of it.  Finally, human beings have this constant habit of always wanting to divert things and we all pay the consequences.  This is also why the internet has become a real trash can.

I'm not mixing them up. I mentioned content spinning, I mentioned plagiarism, I mentioned unnatural AI text. They are separate issues. 

• Confused 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:20 AM, BigStar said:

The "bob smith" bot was doing well at that until recently. ISP may have cut it off for lack of payment.

I see "bob smith" tried to reboot under another alias, something about a "stiffy." Great topic for the peanut gallery but disappeared. Stay tuned.

But what happened to the Sparktrader/bignok/Dolf bot?

The remaining high-profile AI seems going strong, though the fiction about building a new PC finally fizzled out.

We're left mainly with the traditional Brown Envelope and Tea Money bots.