Non-Immigrant O Visa based on marriage Savannakhet, Vientiane, or... ? Which is easiest?

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Do you think that could be someone mixing it up with a 12 month extension of stay? Just as the consulate now does?

Dunno, it needs someone at the window at Sav that is "genuine" to report back.

If the ruling has changed, I think Sav is going to lose a lot of revenue..🤔

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Can't meet the financial requirements for the call either.   😉

Since when did I say I can't meet the financial requirements eh?  I'm not married any more so I don't need a Non O.

I object to this requirement because a Multi Entry Non O based on marriage is intended for those who are married to a Thai, don't live in Thailand but visit regularly.  Requiring them to have a Thai bank account is not only wrong, its technically impossible because as a non resident,you are not supposed to be given a Thai bank account.  There is also nothing in the official requirements that state 400,000 is needed.

But you know all of this very well, you're just trying to be a clever dick as usual.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Nope, if they go over to E-visa you won't be able to apply at all. E-visa applications are limited to citizens of the country where the application is made or those who have legal residence there.

Sometimes, not always.

30 minutes ago, transam said:

That is a below the belt comment........🤔

Well it would be if it was true - the fact is that he has no knowledge of my financial situation.

The whole point of the debate on this matter is that the financial requirements don't fit the applicant. We know the intended use of the Multi Non O based on marriage and there are financial requirements when applying elsewhere but why would someone not living in Thailand want to put 400,000 in a Thai bank account?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Sometimes, not always.

I'd be interested to know of a consulate or embassy that is on E-Visa that allows non residents to apply - other than those that make concessions where local embassies or consulates are closed because of unrest etc.

Edited by MangoKorat

37 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I object to this requirement because a Multi Entry Non O based on marriage is intended for those who are married to a Thai, don't live in Thailand but visit regularly.  Requiring them to have a Thai bank account is not only wrong, its technically impossible because as a non resident,you are not supposed to be given a Thai bank account. 

Well, if the purpose is to visit a Thai spouse, then at some point you'll be in Thailand and can open a Thai bank account.

Savannahket has until now been the exception in not requiring any proof of funds for the Non Imm O ME.

It provided a 'loophole' for those married to Thais who couldn't meet the financial requirements.

41 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

There is also nothing in the official requirements that state 400,000 is needed.

Which official requirements are you referring to?

11 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

We know the intended use of the Multi Non O based on marriage and there are financial requirements when applying elsewhere but why would someone not living in Thailand want to put 400,000 in a Thai bank account?

You can immediately withdraw and use those funds for living expenses as soon as the ME Non Imm O is issued, just the same as you can with a 1 year permit of stay obtained at an Immigration office. There is no requirements to keep funds in the bank after the visa or extension is granted.

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You can immediately withdraw and use those funds for living expenses as soon as the ME Non Imm O is issued, just the same as you can with a 1 year permit of stay obtained at an Immigration office. There is no requirements to keep funds in the bank after the visa or extension is granted.

So? Why would someone living and working abroad, wish to open a Thai bank account?  In addition to it being an inconvenience and as we know, many people have problems opening a Thai account, there are issues of security and taxation.

Even when I make the move to Thailand later this year, the bulk of my money will remain in the UK where I have legal protection against fraud etc. I know of several people who have been obtaining Multi No O's for years and don't have Thai bank accounts, one until recently who lived and worked in Iraq.  His salary was paid into a dedicated offshore account where he was exempt from tax - a concession afforded to many offshore workers and a hell of a lot of them use Multis. Paying it into a Thai account would make it liable to assessment in Thailand.

It is just not necessary and it is not an official requirement for any amount of cash to be in a Thai account.

25 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I'd be interested to know of a consulate or embassy that is on E-Visa that allows non residents to apply - other than those that make concessions where local embassies or consulates are closed because of unrest etc.

As your from the UK lets start there.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-general-information?menu=65bb7713d0737318de2bab23

My best friend is married to a Chines lady residing with him in the UK.
Her daughter attends Manchester University on a 'Study' visa.

Last year she applied for the Thai Tourist visa, to meet friends from China in Thailand for a get together.

She supplied a letter from the University, her UK Study visa, and obtained the visa.

You may have to be resident in the Country you apply, but not neccassarily have permanent residency.

28 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Which official requirements are you referring to?

I had a list of the official requirements many years ago, issued by the MFA at Laksi by hand.  There was an official financial requirement but I can't remember how much it was. In any case, various embassies and consulates around the world 'adjusted' those requirements to suit themselves.  London for example. used to state an amount but didn't actually require it when you applied. Same with the now closed consulate at Hull.

None of them required the money to be in a Thai account.

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You may have to be resident in the Country you apply, but not neccassarily have permanent residency.

I didn't say permanent residence. I said legal residence - there is a difference.

37 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It provided a 'loophole' for those married to Thais who couldn't meet the financial requirements.

You mean those who were not using it as intended.  Which is almost certainly why we are where we are now with the 400k requirement.

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

So? Why would someone living and working abroad, wish to open a Thai bank account? 

Why would anyone living and working abroad want to marry a Thai and obtain the Non Imm O ME visa.

Your attempting to making every excuse in the book, because you don't agree with the financial requirements.

It's there Country, there laws, there requirements.

You can argue with the MFA or Immigration requirements as much as you want, but it is what it is.

Just now, Liquorice said:

Why would anyone living and working abroad want to marry a Thai and obtain the Non Imm O ME visa.

Your attempting to making every excuse in the book, because you don't agree with the financial requirements.

You can argue with the MFA or Immigration requirements as much as you want, but it is what it is.

I am not making excuses at all.  I was married to a Thai and used Multis every year - many guys do. I had no intention of living in Thailand at the time - simply because of the work/salary situation.

'Why would anyone living and working abroad want to marry a Thai and obtain the Non Imm O ME visa' ........erm, perhaps because it is the correct visa to have. Plenty of people live and work outside Thailand and are married to a Thai. many of them for the same reasons I did and intend moving full time when they retire.

I would also remind you, although I'm sure you'll argue the toss.......that visiting a Thai wife is not considered to be tourism by immigration.  Both I and my mate who worked in Iraq, were questioned when entering on 30 day exempts and told to get a Non O visa.  Given that someone in my mate's position would find it a real PITA having to go Savannakhet every time he visited, a multi provided a solution.

Its not me who is making excuses - you know all of this very well.  I have every right to be pissed off about it even though I accept there is very little that can be done.  Thankfully I don't need a MENO now but many people who used one correctly still do.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I very much doubt that the MFA have instructed Savannakhet to make having 400,000k in a Thai account a requirement - note Thai account.

18 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I had a list of the official requirements many years ago, issued by the MFA at Laksi by hand.  There was an official financial requirement but I can't remember how much it was. In any case, various embassies and consulates around the world 'adjusted' those requirements to suit themselves.

Many years ago, I used to wear short pants, but were in the here and now position.

20 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

London for example. used to state an amount but didn't actually require it when you applied. Same with the now closed consulate at Hull.

None of them required the money to be in a Thai account.

That's because you were ling permanently where you applied, so funds in your home Country were the requirement, and still are.

I totally agree that they have tightened the financial requirements, but that's change for you.
London in the past didn't stipulate a financial requirement for the Non Imm O ME visa.
For the Non Imm O based on retirement a DWP pension statement was suffient, now it's £10,000.

There are reasons why requirements are changing.

Savannahket and HCMC were always the exception to the rule, because they are adjoing Countries to Thailand.
It would have been ridiculous to request funds be in a Vietnamese or Lao bank account, but as the Non Imm O ME can actually allow you to stay in Thailand for almost 17 months before applying for a new visa, it doesn't seem unreasonable to request those funds be in a Thai bank account.

Not much use in a UK account if funds are required on the day in an emergency situation.

There is a bigger picture to these changes.

14 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I very much doubt that the MFA have instructed Savannakhet to make having 400,000k in a Thai account a requirement - note Thai account.

I think it's very much a situation where the Thai government have instructed the MFA to instruct Savannahket to make the changes.

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It would have been ridiculous to request funds be in a Vietnamese or Lao bank account, but as the Non Imm O ME can actually allow you to stay in Thailand for almost 17 months before applying for a new visa,

Its not ridiculous to simply request proof of funds. The problem is the requirement for them to be in Thailand.

You don't seem to realise that the majority of MENO users don't actually want to stay 17 months. They don't use that visa to in effect live in Thailand without having to put money in a Thai account.  The people you seem to be refering to is those who DO NOT used the visa as intended.

Most of the people I know or have met that used Multi Entry Non O visas based on marriage, used them as intended.

Edited by MangoKorat

12 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

That's because you were ling permanently where you applied, so funds in your home Country were the requirement, and still are.

Yes but unless they've changed again, a multi cannot be obtained at the RTE London - money in the bank or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Would you care to explain what you mean by that statement?  I can think of more than a few who might find it offensive as written.

If what you actually mean is that they can get a 12 month extension of stay instead of using a Multi.  I'm pretty sure we've argued that point before.  Many of those living/working abroad find it impossible to stay in Thailand long enough to be able to obtain an extension.  As far as I know, an extension can only be applied for during the last 15 days of a single entry Non O. Then there is around 1 month waiting time.  I don't know many guys who's employer will allow them 75 days holiday.

20 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I would also remind you, although I'm sure you'll argue the toss.......that visiting a Thai wife is not considered to be tourism by immigration.  Both I and my mate who worked in Iraq, were questioned when entering on 30 day exempts and told to get a Non O visa.  Given that someone in my mate's position would find it a real PITA having to go Savannakhet every time he visited, a multi provided a solution.

Ah! You are or were an oil worker and you have my sympathies, as the Non Imm O ME is ideal for there shift rotas.
However many oilworkers abused the VE entry system, rather than obtaining the appropriate visa.
I advised some of the oilworkers to apply for the Non Imm O ME visa during their 4 wekkly vists to visit the wife.
I don't consider a 2 day trip once a year, or even longer a PITA for the benifits.

Depends how you enter Thailan whether your staus is Tourist or Non Immigrant from Immigrations point of view.
In either case you are permitted to extend your stay for 60 days to visit Thai wife.

The Non Imm O ME visas from HCMC and Savannahket have been abused by foreigners living full time in Thailand, rather than for the purpose of visiting Thai spouse/family as intended.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

The Non Imm O ME visas from HCMC and Savannahket have been abused by foreigners living full time in Thailand, rather than for the purpose of visiting Thai spouse/family as intended.

Thank you. That has been my point all along, in both this and other threads.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Ah! You are or were an oil worker and you have my sympathies, as the Non Imm O ME is ideal for there shift rotas.
However many oilworkers abused the VE entry system, rather than obtaining the appropriate visa.
I advised some of the oilworkers to apply for the Non Imm O ME visa during their 4 wekkly vists to visit the wife.
I don't consider a 2 day trip once a year, or even longer a PITA for the benifits.

Depends how you enter Thailan whether your staus is Tourist or Non Immigrant from Immigrations point of view.
In either case you are permitted to extend your stay for 60 days to visit Thai wife.

"Abused", why would you, a farangy, refer to a multi-O as being abused....?

It is a VISA, to be used as the owner see's fit, an extension is not a visa, and has restrictions.

I feel you are looking down your nose at members, first the no money thing, now we are abusing a VISA.........😤

• Thumbs Up 1

A few questions.

Does Savannakhet have nice restaurants like Vientianne?

What proof do you need to show for 400k being 2 months in the bank account? Bank book? Letter from the bank? Something else?

Edited by Celsius

21 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Yes, another craziness from Immigration.

I'm sure we've discussed this before but a few years ago when I was married to a Thai, I didn't see the point of obtaining a MENO every year when I only stayed 2 or 3 weeks each time - especially when London stopped issuing them and I had to go to either Savannakhet or HCMC.  I then entered on 30 day exempts. On, I think it was the second occasion the I.O. spotted the expired visa in my passport and asked me why I didn't have a visa this time.  I was told in no uncertain terms that was not considered as a tourist I would not be allowed in next time without a visa.

A few months later my mate did the same with the same result.

When I left and had more time, I went to the immigration counter at the airport to discuss the matter.  I told them that the RTE London's website stated that a tourist visa was suitable for short family visits.  They said that THEY made the rules on entry, not the Embassy.

I wish I'd thought about extensions at the time - I would have asked them why, if I was not considered a tourist, I could extend a 30 day exempt for 60 days based on being married.

Edited by MangoKorat

11 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes but unless they've changed again, a multi cannot be obtained at the RTE London - money in the bank or otherwise.

Actually, a member recently posted a screen shot of the e-visa application site, applying in the UK for the Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse.

At the bottom of the screen was a caveat stating the Non Imm O ME was avilable under certain circumstances, to contact the Embassy, or words to that effect.
It was at the bottom of the first page where you enter personal information and the Embassy selection.

You'd have to log in and start the process to find it again.

The bigger issue and problem as I read it, and I personally know of 3 expats that have done this for years to stay in Thailand.

Having been married and then divorced from a Thai spouse, if you still retain an original marriage certificate and copies of the ex spouses Tabien Baan and Thai ID card, that was all the Embassies requested to issue the Non Imm O ME.

Rather than impose financial requirements of 400K THB or equivalent for these visa types, they could have simply added the requirement of either a KR2/22 (as Immigration request for 1 year extensions). If your still genuinely married, then the wife could easily obtain an updated KR2/22, scan and email for your submission.
That small detail would elimate those who were no longer genuinely married from the process, leaving only the genuine married folk able to apply.

I don't think or rationalise like a Thai though! 😉

22 minutes ago, transam said:

It is a VISA, to be used as the owner see's fit, an extension is not a visa, and has restrictions.

I feel you are looking down your nose at members, first the no money thing, now we are abusing a VISA.........😤

Clearly you have used a multi to 'live in Thailand'.  I'm not criticising you personally but it is a fact that the correct method for someone living with their wife full time in Thailand is a 12 month extension of stay.

The 12 month Multi Entry Non Immigrant Visa (MENO) based on marriage is intended for those who do not live with their wife in Thailand but visit regularly.

I'm pretty sure in my mind that the new(ish) 400k requirement has been brought about by people using a MENO to avoid having the same amount for an extension of stay.  I can't see any other reason for the change.

There are many reasons why someone wouldn't want to put 400k in a Thai bank account. I'm not looking forward to having anything more than 20k in mine. Its so easy to keep your cash where its safe and transfer it in within seconds.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

It is a VISA, to be used as the owner see's fit,

No it isn't Trans.
The Non Imm O ME based on Thai spouse was always on the basis of visiting and staying with Thai spouse/family, for short periods of stay.

15 minutes ago, transam said:

an extension is not a visa, and has restrictions.

I'm well aware of the difference beetween a visa and an extension which is a permit of stay.

16 minutes ago, transam said:

I feel you are looking down your nose at members, first the no money thing, now we are abusing a VISA

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone.
Simply stating the facts as they are.

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I am not actually and never was.  I still could never have left my business for 75 days and I can't think of anyone who could. Although self employed, I was mostly under contract to provide advice and services 24 hours per day, 7 days per week if necessary.

75 Days is a hell of a holiday - although I did once stay 6 months.