Non-Immigrant O Visa based on marriage Savannakhet, Vientiane, or... ? Which is easiest?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for a 90-day Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage, likely at the Thai embassy in either Savannakhet or Vientiane. It would be great to hear from anyone who's recently been through this process!

Specifically, I'm wondering about the financial requirements. Does anyone know if proof of funds (showing 400,000 baht in your bank) is required for the 90-day visa? Or is the requirement more for the 1-year multi-entry visa?

Last year the Thai consulate in Savannakhet didn't require the 400,000 baht for the 1-year visa, but I think the policy has changed. They are asking for it now. I'm just not sure if they want the 400K bank statement for the 90day or just for the 1 year visa?

If anyone has any insights or recommendations on the easiest place to apply for this visa in Southeast Asia, I'd really appreciate it!

Savannakhet now require 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for a 12 month Multi Non O based on marriage. According to reports on here and a personal e-mail from them, there is no financial requirement for a single entry.

I have no knowledge of Vientiane but I seem to remember they don't offer a Multi.  Their website should have that information.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, an appointment is required at Vientiane. 

Savannahket not. 

Hello,

Is it possible to apply a non immigrant visa in Savannakhet or Vientiane on Friday and collect passeport and visa on Monday ?

Thank you

7 minutes ago, sarayoot said:

Hello,

Is it possible to apply a non immigrant visa in Savannakhet or Vientiane on Friday and collect passeport and visa on Monday ?

Thank you

Yes.

For both offices (my understanding) is apply am and pick up next business day pm. 

Someone will correct if that's not correct 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

For both offices (my understanding) is apply am and pick up next business day pm. 

Thank you very much Dr Jack! You are the best!

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

Incorrect - at least for Vientiane. I did it recently. Applied on Tuesday morning, picked up Friday afternoon so they need three days.

17 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Savannakhet now require 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for a 12 month Multi Non O based on marriage. According to reports on here and a personal e-mail from them, there is no financial requirement for a single entry.

I have no knowledge of Vientiane but I seem to remember they don't offer a Multi.  Their website should have that information.

How long does the 400k have to be in the bank for? 2 months? or as long as you have 400k in the bank they are happy?

6 minutes ago, rhino533 said:

How long does the 400k have to be in the bank for? 2 months? or as long as you have 400k in the bank they are happy?

That is the question we want clarification on.........🤗

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

does anybody know if we have to leave every 90 days on a multi-entry non-o or can extend each entry (so leave every 5 months?)

also can we border bounce the entries? or have to stay overnight?

If you have a 1 year multi-entry you have to leave the country every 90days and you can only extend it one time. So you will have 1 year plus the 2 month extension. As far as leaving the country. I stayed at least one night outside of Thailand before returning. Some people have said they have crossed the border and back to Thailand the same day without issue but others have had problems. I just avoided any problems and stayed a night. I hope this helps!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, rhino533 said:

If you have a 1 year multi-entry you have to leave the country every 90days and you can only extend it one time. So you will have 1 year plus the 2 month extension. As far as leaving the country. I stayed at least one night outside of Thailand before returning. Some people have said they have crossed the border and back to Thailand the same day without issue but others have had problems. I just avoided any problems and stayed a night. I hope this helps!

Actually, if you leave the day before the visa expires then re-enter, you get another 90 days, so near 15 months from it.

Get a 60 day extension, you now have near 17 months, I have done it many times...😉

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, transam said:

Actually, if you leave the day before the visa expires then re-enter, you get another 90 days, so near 15 months from it.

Get a 60 day extension, you now have near 17 months, I have done it many times...😉

And dont forget your pink umbrella. It gets hot standing in the queue for hours in the sun.

3 hours ago, rhino533 said:

If I remember correctly, the reports on here state that no seasoning is required. I can't be sure on this but I seem to remember one poster stating they needed a letter from the bank confirming the balance.  Given that some genuine Multi Entry Non O applicants will not have set foot in Thailand, that would seem a strange requirement.

I can never get the search facility on here to work correctly but I'd suggest seeking out the recent reports from Savannakhet.

Edited by MangoKorat

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

does anybody know if we have to leave every 90 days on a multi-entry non-o or can extend each entry (so leave every 5 months?)

also can we border bounce the entries? or have to stay overnight?

3 hours ago, rhino533 said:

That's incorrect.

You can extend each 90 day entry one time for an additional 60 days to visit Thai spouse/family.

This means with 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions you can stay for almost 17 months, before requiring a new ME Non Imm O visa.

In most cases you can border hop the same day.

45 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

If I remember correctly, the reports on here state that no seasoning is required. I can't be sure on this but I seem to remember one poster stating they needed a letter from the bank confirming the balance.  Given that some genuine Multi Entry Non O applicants will not have set foot in Thailand, that would seem a strange requirement.

Recent reports from Savannahket report 400K THB in a Thai bank account for 2 months on the date of application for the Non Imm O multi entry visa.
No finacial requirements for the single entry Non Imm O visa.

57 minutes ago, Goat said:

And dont forget your pink umbrella. It gets hot standing in the queue for hours in the sun.

I will leave pink to you, Goaty, will probably match your attire...........😘..........🤭

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Recent reports from Savannahket report 400K THB in a Thai bank account for 2 months on the date of application for the Non Imm O multi entry visa.
No finacial requirements for the single entry Non Imm O visa.

Jeez, I didn't see that one.  Getting a single entry and extending it by 60 days is beginning to sound a better proposition - especially if you like a few days away every now and again.

59 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I can never get the search facility on here to work correctly but I'd suggest seeking out the recent reports from Savannakhet.

That is correct, then someone came on and said must be in the bank for 2 months, but that could be a "hoax" or got it wrong..

1 minute ago, transam said:

That is correct, then someone came on and said must be in the bank for 2 months, but that could be a "hoax" or got it wrong..

If I was married to a Thai and not living in Thailand but for some reason wanted a prolonged visit, I think I'd be entering visa exempt, extending that by 60 days, then hopping up to Laos to get a single entry and extending that.  Total 240 days. Until they stop the extensions that is..............................................

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I've just emailed Savannakhet for clarification - I expect a reply in 4 to 5 months as usual.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

If I was married to a Thai and not living in Thailand but for some reason wanted a prolonged visit, I think I'd be entering visa exempt, extending that by 60 days, then hopping up to Laos to get a single entry and extending that.  Total 240 days. Until they stop the extensions that is..............................................

Yep, there are a few ways to get bye....🤗

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I expect a reply in 4 to 5 months as usual.

That is not a joke by the way - this is what I received on 12/03/24 in reply to my original enquiry on 31/10/23!!!

If you do not have Thai bank account, please apply for Non-O single entry.

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I've just emailed Savannakhet for clarification - I expect a reply in 4 to 5 months as usual.

Closed now, but try calling.

Phone: +856 41 212 373

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Do you think that could be someone mixing it up with a 12 month extension of stay? Just as the consulate now does?

9 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

If you do not have Thai bank account, please apply for Non-O single entry.

There's your answer and confirmation.

For what reason would you require a Thai bank account ........................ to provide evidence of 400K THB for 2 months for the Non Imm O ME visa.

Same requirements as for a 1 year extension of stay at Immigration.

If as I suspect, they eventually go over to applications via the e-visa site, then you'll be required to provide evidence of the equivalent of 400K THB just for the single entry Non Imm O visa.

Edited by Liquorice

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

There's your answer and confirmation.

For what reason would you require a Thai bank account ........................ to provide evidence of 400K THB for 2 months for the Non Imm O ME visa.

Same requirements as for a 1 year extension of stay at Immigration.

If as I suspect, they eventually go over to applications visa the e-visa site, then you'll be required to provide evidence of the equivalent of 400K THB just for the single entry Non Imm O visa.

Nope, if they go over to E-visa you won't be able to apply at all. E-visa applications are limited to citizens of the country where the application is made or those who have legal residence there.