Moving older Thai children to the UK

36 minutes ago, theblether said:

Do not, under any circumstances, seek an area with a "substantial Thai population." They are overrun with a demographic that any decent Thai family would avoid like the plague. 

"Thai rak Thai" is a nonsense in the UK. No decent Thai woman flies 6000 miles to consort with rotten-hearted hookers. 

I did not say "substantial". Just enough Thais that they can have at least a few Thai friends/classmates. There are middle class neighborhoods in the UK with Thais -- middle class Thais, hardly "rotten hearted hookers". I am staying in one right now.

Thats's quite a challenge. If the kids were 5 and 8 I'd say go for it, as they will eventually catch up and by the time they are taking important exams they will be on a level playing field. But at 13 and 16 they would have to be exceptionally intelligent, gifted even, to cope successfully with that level of change. The danger is that your well intentioned move has the opposite impact - it worsens their life chances rather than enhancing them. 

Perhaps it might make sense to stay in Thailand until they have both completed their education?

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I did not say "substantial". Just enough Thais that they can have at least a few Thai friends/classmates. There are middle class neighborhoods in the UK with Thais -- middle class Thais, hardly "rotten hearted hookers". I am staying in one right now.

I live in the UK and have assisted several Thai students to navigate Masters degrees. I have watched them walk away embarrassed by the lowlifes they meet. I also know many middle class Thais that avoid other Thais like the plague. 

The UK Thai community is bedivlied by rotten-hearted hookers often married to oil & gas workers who spend their lives crowing about money. I have witnessed this, I know Thais who have witnessed this.and here you are making up stories about "middle class communities" in the UK. 

The community is overrun with illiterate, alcoholic prostitutes. You've as much chance of encountering this fantastical "middle class" enclave as tripping over Brigadoon. 

• Agree 2

The UK used to have a high standard of schooling,I'm not so sure now,everything has been dumbed down with the result that standards have dropped and from what you say the older child possibly wouldn't cope with the English school system.Like others have said I would be inclined to let them finish their schooling in an excellent Thai school then decide what they want out of life.

With tongue in cheek they could cheat the system and cross the channel in a rubber dingy and claim asylum!

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Not sure if you have a particular UK private school in mind but my experience of 'private schools' is that there can be quite an element of selection (I attended boarding school many many years ago and my three children - now late 20's early 30's attended private day school). Many schools are over-subscribed and there are likely to be entrance tests and admission criteria relating to previous schooling.

That's a good point, partly why I'm leaning towards them attending a school that does the British curriculum in Thailand first, to see if they can cope.

2 hours ago, theblether said:

Is the father still living? Is he okay with his children being removed from Thailand? 

Still living, new wife and hasn't seen his kids, supported them or shown any interest for years. Signed away his parental rights during the divorce.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Thats's quite a challenge. If the kids were 5 and 8 I'd say go for it, as they will eventually catch up and by the time they are taking important exams they will be on a level playing field. But at 13 and 16 they would have to be exceptionally intelligent, gifted even, to cope successfully with that level of change. The danger is that your well intentioned move has the opposite impact - it worsens their life chances rather than enhancing them. 

Perhaps it might make sense to stay in Thailand until they have both completed their education?

This is the big unknown. They are both very bright, hard working and top of their classes at a good government school, but I need to be confident they can manage the British curriculum before bringing them here. If not, make sure they get the best education they can in Thailand.

• Like 1

I did something similar to this but only slightly different.  The kids were mine so they were luk krung.  They attended very good Thai schools in Bangkok so they were academically ok with moving to the USA.  They were almost 16 & 14 at the time and entered the 10th and 8th grades upon arrival in the USA.  Their English was very good and had no accent.  They had both US & Thai citizenship so there weren't any problems in that area.  They adjusted very well to life in the USA and both completed university and have very good careers in IT and finance.  

If you cannot move right away to the UK then one of the international schools in Bangkok might be another option.  You'll probably want to go with one that has a UK curriculum.  Definitely do your research on that as some are very good and others just so-so.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

If you cannot move right away to the UK then one of the international schools in Bangkok might be another option.  You'll probably want to go with one that has a UK curriculum.  Definitely do your research on that as some are very good and others just so-so.  

Thanks... slightly shifting the topic a bit, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good school in Bangkok that teaches the UK curriculum? I'll do my own research but personal experience is going to be useful too

Edited by Rich888
Clarity

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

According to UK gov website no issue until age 18. Below 18, whether age 1 or 16, same same.

If both children were to attend a school in Bangkok before applying to migrate to the UK, then:

* the older child would be close to this magic age of 18 after graduation - requiring a visa application that is not under a family unit option?

* If higher education study is contemplated for the younger child, then the 3-year qualifying UK residence period applicable for non-international fee admission (mentioned by @richard_smith237) may suggest moving to complete school education in UK?

7 hours ago, Phuyai said:

If both children were to attend a school in Bangkok before applying to migrate to the UK, then:

* the older child would be close to this magic age of 18 after graduation - requiring a visa application that is not under a family unit option?

* If higher education study is contemplated for the younger child, then the 3-year qualifying UK residence period applicable for non-international fee admission (mentioned by @richard_smith237) may suggest moving to complete school education in UK?

Yes the clock is ticking.  To my understanding not possible to get family visa once 18. 

For the qualifying residence period, always possible to take a gap year or two. For that matter cannot assume time needed to complete secondary studies won't be longer upon switch to UK schools.  Indeed unless they have been in very good private schools I would expect it to need 1-2 years additional time, and that is assuming already fluent in English. 

It is the age if the older child that is the limiting factor here. 

So unfortunately OP needs to decide one way or the other pretty soon.

12 hours ago, Rich888 said:

Still living, new wife and hasn't seen his kids, supported them or shown any interest for years. Signed away his parental rights during the divorce.

Make sure you have a copy of the document where he signed away his parental rights. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, geisha said:

Yes, think you’re right , better to try the international school in Bangkok first to see how they manage. Just imagine taking them  abroad only to find out they are a bit disadvantaged ?  The whole procedure would be a mess and not a good experience for the kids. 

Sure but doa lot of research about th teaching quality / teaching outcomes before deciding what school.

Some I'national schools in BKK are quite good, others make big claims but the teaching / outcomes is pretty poor. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 11:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

No experience of.... 

But I'm also considering doing something similar.....     part of the reason is UK Uni fees...  they need to be domiciled in the UK for 3 years to be eligible for UK Uni fees... and the 3 years is awkward as it doesn't fit the two year A-Levels interval.

i.e. Fees to be a medical student are about £45,000 per year for overseas students / for a UK student its about £9,250

So.. we are considering moving our Son at the Start of GCSE's to a private school... then moving on to A-Levels there.

(The cost of a decent private school in the UK is similar to International School here).

Its a difficult balancing act to play out.

The only input I have for your specific case if to ensure they are doing British Curriculum rather than IB if you are planning a move...  as schools which do IB in the UK are quite limited.

I don't think it's as simple as being in the UK for 3 years in order to qualify for UK student fees.

"The main purpose for the three years' residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of it, unless the student is a European Union citizen (but not a British citizen) and immediately prior to the three-year period was ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area, Switzerland or qualifying overseas territories (see below)."

16 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I don't think it's as simple as being in the UK for 3 years in order to qualify for UK student fees.

"The main purpose for the three years' residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of it, unless the student is a European Union citizen (but not a British citizen) and immediately prior to the three-year period was ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area, Switzerland or qualifying overseas territories (see below)."

You'll need to do a better job of explaining that... as its my understanding that after 3 years residence in the UK, a UK student is eligible for UK Uni rates. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

You'll need to do a better job of explaining that... as its my understanding that after 3 years residence in the UK, a UK student is eligible for UK Uni rates. 

Taken from here :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_student_(United_Kingdom)

About 12 years ago, my daughter, despite being a British citizen, was denied home student status when she applied for university, even though she  spent three years at boarding school in the UK.

There are really good schools in MY.

Any so-called International school in Thailand (Bangkok according to my experience) is just a rich kids social club. For example KIS >>> there no Toyotas at parking lot. Figures...

Bright kids at Thai Universities (not MBA, Design or Arts or such, real science) don't come from posh venues like Regent, Berkley and similar. 

IMO kids should stay with their parents at least until 18. Heard so many sad stories about kids sent to "foreign land" alone. Even to AU. 

Should avoid UK - too much of "freedom".
Another option to get ironclad education is SG, but financially is quite heavy.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

So unfortunately OP needs to decide one way or the other pretty soon

Yes, time is tight. I'm hoping 6 months will give us a good indication whether or not they will cope, and if so we can crack on with a family visa application with a view to them moving to the UK for the next school year. If not plan B is for them to stay in Thailand until the eldest has gone to university and think about moving over with just the youngest, although maybe the eldest will be able to come on a student visa. 

3 hours ago, theblether said:

Make sure you have a copy of the document where he signed away his parental rights. 

My fiancée did it...I'd be amazed if it's not iron clad, she doesn't take prisoners when it comes to her kids!

20 hours ago, theblether said:

Do not, under any circumstances, seek an area with a "substantial Thai population." They are overrun with a demographic that any decent Thai family would avoid like the plague. 

"Thai rak Thai" is a nonsense in the UK. No decent Thai woman flies 6000 miles to consort with rotten-hearted hookers. 

Same in France.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Rich888 said:

My fiancée did it...I'd be amazed if it's not iron clad, she doesn't take prisoners when it comes to her kids!

I think you need to review Thai custody law. You'd be amazed at how often "remote" fathers destroy the best laid plans of mice and men. Request sight and get this document translated before you get a shock. And you better make sure its recognised and not written on the back of a fag packet. 

ps - I hope I'm wrong but I personally know four examples where the spouse prevented removal of the child. That includes one former high profile member of this forum. 

12 hours ago, Rich888 said:

Thanks... slightly shifting the topic a bit, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good school in Bangkok that teaches the UK curriculum? I'll do my own research but personal experience is going to be useful too

Bangkok Pattana out in Bangna uses a UK curriculum.  It has been in Bangkok for over 30 years.  There are others as well, and I think some are good, but I'm more familiar with Bangkok Pattana.  

OK we moved my wifes daughter  to the UK when she was seven years old (didn't speak a word of English). Luckily we had a good school around the corner and they put her on "special needs" and within  a couple of years she was speaking with a West London accent.

I didn't go down the road of adoption as I had been supporting her since she was three years old, and I regard her as my daughter - she's in our wills, changed her surname when she got naturalized (now British) and didn't see the point of the paper work - she IS my daughter. Plus adoption in the UK you will get examined by social workers looking for anything to say "no".

Your problem is your children are MUCH older but you say they have a good level of English which will be a great help.  But as everybody else has said, you'd better move quick.

3 hours ago, theblether said:

I think you need to review Thai custody law. You'd be amazed at how often "remote" fathers destroy the best laid plans of mice and men. Request sight and get this document translated before you get a shock. And you better make sure its recognised and not written on the back of a fag packet. 

ps - I hope I'm wrong but I personally know four examples where the spouse prevented removal of the child. That includes one former high profile member of this forum. 

I'll mention it to her... doesn't hurt to check. She's smart and legally qualified though, and this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

10 hours ago, NativeBob said:

There are really good schools in MY.

Any so-called International school in Thailand (Bangkok according to my experience) is just a rich kids social club. For example KIS >>> there no Toyotas at parking lot. Figures...

Bright kids at Thai Universities (not MBA, Design or Arts or such, real science) don't come from posh venues like Regent, Berkley and similar. 

IMO kids should stay with their parents at least until 18. Heard so many sad stories about kids sent to "foreign land" alone. Even to AU. 

Should avoid UK - too much of "freedom".
Another option to get ironclad education is SG, but financially is quite heavy.

Agree re Singapore (sg). The big plus is proximity, kids can come home to Thailand / parents can visit kids frequently.

Many years back my Thai son completed his last several years of high school in SG and loved it, and the educational outcome was totally excellent. 

In those days you could do a deal with AirAsia;  guarantee that the child would do x number of return trips within a 12 month period and pay 50% of the cost upfront. Got a very big discount. AirAsia even had a service to pick up kids from their homestay or whatever to take them to the airport.

Some small downside with Thai hi-so kids misbehaving themselves and being arrogant / rude to teachers and other students, especially to other Thai students who didn't 'qualify' as hi-so / rich kids. During the time my son was there several of these hi-so kids were instantly dismissed because of a specific negative event* and deported and passports marked 'cannot enter SG for 10 years'. (*One event: several Thai hi-so boys made a big pile of Teak beach furniture and set fire to it.)