Has anyone heard of a new law ??

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read the thread.

The information you posted is incorrect. 

Along with the reference to "friend" that entered TWICE last year using visa exempt.

You stated ....

"going on, I know someone who has been refused travel from UK having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year." 

That is nonsense. 

If refused "travel from Uk" it would possibly be non issue of boarding pass with no onward flight. 

Not a very helpfull reply considereing you are a moderator and not aware of the facts. I am well aware of all the possibities for refusal of boarding in the UK. Its not nonsense at all, it has just happend FACT. 

Edited by iian23
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, iian23 said:

Its not nonsense at all, it has just happend FACT.

Post exact details of your "friends" experience with what appears to be very limited stays in Thailand using visa exempt entries.

Many do this extensively without issue.

Perhaps @Pattaya57 can relate his personal experience.

BTW not unique his is a  common experience in fact. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iian23 said:

Something is going on, I know someone who has just been refused travel from UK (airline supposed to have contacted Bangkok immigration to confirm) having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year. Below from London embassy site. The first line says only 2 entries per year with no explanation but then further down it sepecifies by land and sea.

Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme

UK ordinary passport holders can travel to Thailand without visa for no longer than 30 days (maximum 2 times/year).

All UK travel documents (Refugee/Emergency) must apply for the visa before traveling to Thailand.

- Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Visa Exemption scheme are required at the port of entry to have proof of planned travel (confirmed air, train, bus, or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date. Otherwise, a visa must be obtained before entering Thailand.

- For traveling to Thailand by land and sea, UK ordinary passport holders are eligible for Visa Exemption Scheme with a maximum of twice in a calendar year. 

going on, I know someone who has been refused travel from UK having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year.

Having made 2 prior exempt entries is unlikely to be reason for airline refusal to board.

Airlines do not usually thumb through  prior history. They just refer to IATA listed requirements which are:

1. Return on onward flight within 30 days. (Usual reason for refusal). 

2. Passport valudity of at least 6 months and citizen of country eligible for visa exemption.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Having made 2 prior exempt entries is unlikely to be reason for airline refusal to board.

Airlines do not usually thumb through  prior history. They just refer to IATA listed requirements which are:

1. Return on onward flight within 30 days. (Usual reason for refusal). 

2. Passport valudity of at least 6 months and citizen of country eligible for visa exemption.

As previously stated, he has been to Thailand twice in the last 12 months. When checking in, the airline told him as you have had 2 visa exempt in the last year so you need a visa. He obviously questioned this. The airline claimed to have rung Bangkok immigration to check and they concurred. Travel was refused and he has now applied for a tourist visa.

I fully understand all the possible reasons for refusing travel, none of them apply. I saw the original post so posted my friends experience as it seemed relevent to the question. If there is anything to it, I would like to know as it would adversely effect me and probably others in a big way.

Instant dismissal of claims by people on these forums are not helpful, as unusual and unlikely they are.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Post exact details of your "friends" experience with what appears to be very limited stays in Thailand using visa exempt entries.

Many do this extensively without issue.

Perhaps @Pattaya57 can relate his personal experience.

BTW not unique his is a  common experience in fact. 

I have been doing this  ¨extensively¨ for the last 25 years with very few issues aside from a few extra questions at BKK airport immigration. Exact details stated.

Edited by iian23
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iian23 said:

As previously stated, he has been to Thailand twice in the last 12 months. When checking in, the airline told him as you have had 2 visa exempt in the last year so you need a visa. He obviously questioned this. The airline claimed to have rung Bangkok immigration to check and they concurred. Travel was refused and he has now applied for a tourist visa

Do you know how many folk post regarding entry to Thailand via air using visa exempt.

It's like a recycle bin. Fills every day.

There has NEVER been ONE account remotely similar to your account.

Done with chit chat. Post factual accounts. 

1 hour ago, iian23 said:

As previously stated, he has been to Thailand twice in the last 12 months. When checking in, the airline told him as you have had 2 visa exempt in the last year so you need a visa

even if the 2 visa exempt by air is the "new rule" (refer sandyf post ?) isn't it per calender year which would mean your friend is ok for 2 visa exempt's in 2024?

anyways i'm done with visa exempts and will hopefully be granted 60 day tourist e-visa's 4 times a year with 30 day breaks in oz. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

The statement you quoted appears in this update from one of the US consulates, it refers to a government meeting late last year so up to date rather than old.

Historically the has been a difference of opinion between the info from Siam Legal sites and other sites that refer to the bilateral agreement with no limitation by air. I think there has always been a bit of confusion over the visa exemption scheme that apllies to the "majority" and bilateral agreements, but the table in this update indicates a distinct separation.

On the basis that the 4 countries mentioned in the OP have been singled out from the rest of the "majority", I would suggest that it can be taken as the current requirement.

The 4 countries in question have a bilateral agreement on diplomatic passports which may well have been extended to ordinary passports.

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-exemption-and-visa-on-arrival-to-thailand

Enforcement however is another matter entirely and many will contine to take their chances.

The Los Angels embassy always has wrong information. The 15 day rule stopped back in 2004/5, so there is no longer any such rule and especially doesn't apply for arrivals via air. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Sorry DrJack but your answer re arrival by air is incorrect. There is a limit of 6 times per year when arriving by air. "Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year." 

Before you start saying the link is NOT the Thai Embassy, I'm aware of that, but it's been posted to support my post correcting your comment re "no stated limit via air".

New Visa Rules for Border Entry to Thailand | ThaiEmbassy.com

That link is not to an official Thai Embassy site but a clone site that offers info and services and isnt connected to Thailand in any way

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, iian23 said:

As previously stated, he has been to Thailand twice in the last 12 months. When checking in, the airline told him as you have had 2 visa exempt in the last year so you need a visa. He obviously questioned this. The airline claimed to have rung Bangkok immigration to check and they concurred. Travel was refused and he has now applied for a tourist visa.

There are no current laws limiting visa exempt entries by air, as there is with land border crossings.

Any new regulation as such would have been headlines in the Tabloids and would have to be posted in the Royal Gazette before coming into effect.