Has anyone heard of a new law ??

Has anyone heard of a new law?

Entering the Kingdom through air land/sea/air border checkpoints under Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme is permitted only twice in a calendar year, except nationals of Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, and Singapore who may enter Thailand through such checkpoints more than twice in a calendar year.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Don't know that it's a new law. My GF's old passport was full of stamps (only land border). Many, many more than two per year for 2 weeks per time. She's from Cambodia so maybe it's an Asean thing vs Other regions. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The limit of 2 per calendar year refers to land and sea.

No stated limit via air. 

Actually I believe it is 6 visa exempt entries by air per year, my neighbor was denied entry based on that rule last year at swampy, but I am not sure it is enforced regularly.

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Actually I believe it is 6 visa exempt entries by air per year, my neighbor was denied entry based on that rule last year at swampy, but I am not sure it is enforced regularly.

Are you sure its even a law?  

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

No such law/rule

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, dauu said:

Entering the Kingdom through air land/sea/air border checkpoints under Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme is permitted only twice in a calendar year, except nationals of Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, and Singapore who may enter Thailand through such checkpoints more than twice in a calendar year.

From which source did you get that information?

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

attachment from MFA website.........validity, enforced regularly and I/O discretion cannot confirm.

Screenshot (295).png

• Haha 1

Tell him to get a Visa then he don't has the problems.

• Sad 2

There is nothing in the regs that states a limit by air entry although that does not mean they can not decide your doing it too much. They do have  the 2 land entry limit. You neighbor may have been denied by Imm for what they perceive is too many or some other reason as they have that descretion based on all the information and evidence they see. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The limit of 2 per calendar year refers to land and sea.

No stated limit via air. 

Sorry DrJack but your answer re arrival by air is incorrect. There is a limit of 6 times per year when arriving by air. "Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year." 

Before you start saying the link is NOT the Thai Embassy, I'm aware of that, but it's been posted to support my post correcting your comment re "no stated limit via air".

New Visa Rules for Border Entry to Thailand | ThaiEmbassy.com

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

There is a limit of 6 times per year when arriving by air. "Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year." 

No

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Sorry DrJack but your answer re arrival by air is incorrect. There is a limit of 6 times per year when arriving by air. "Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year." 

Before you start saying the link is NOT the Thai Embassy, I'm aware of that, but it's been posted to support my post correcting your comment re "no stated limit via air".

There is no date on that article (Edit: it's from 19th April 2015) but pretty sure that the rule got recinded years ago (If I had to guess I'd say 2017/2018 but certainly before COVID).

There's a lot of dated/misleading information out there, E.g. the London Thai Embassy (Edit: dated 16th October 2022) says max 3 times in 6 months...

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption category may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6 month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84256-tourist-visa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

End of the day it's at the IO's discretion so whilst there may/may not be a maximum limit, you are more likely to be challanged the more visa exempt entries you do so best advice for longer stays would be to get a Visa rather than relying on extensions + border bounces. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

There is no date on that article (Edit: it's from 19th April 2015) but pretty sure that the rule got recinded years ago (If I had to guess I'd say 2017/2018....

In this thread attached ubonjoe mentions this "rule" think he refers to 2016 and gives bit of background. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

End of the day it's at the IO's discretion so whilst there may/may not be a maximum limit, you are more likely to be challanged the more visa exempt entries you do so best advice for longer stays would be to get a Visa rather than relying on extensions + border bounces. 

Your statement here best sums up the situation.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1138484-any-validity-to-the-180-day-year-rule/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

There is a limit of 6 times per year when arriving by air. "Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year." 

is this an official Order of the Royal Thai Police if so can the link be posted?

Could you post the official Immigration regulation that states the limit of entries by air then?
That is a commercial website, not an official Immigration website.

It's often found to be incorrect and/or out of date with information.

56 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

There is no date on that article but pretty sure that the rule got recinded years ago (If I had to guess I'd say 2017/2018 but certainly before COVID).

Dec 31st 2016.

If that were true, you can obtain 30-day extensions for each 30 day VE entry, which would mean you can stay all year on VE entries.

There is no written official regulations on the limit of VE entries by air, it's at the discretion of Immigration.

As far as I'm aware, the official guidelines for entering VE haven't changed since 2014, except for the limited land border crossing by VE restricted to 2 per calendar year.

Visa Exempt Guidelines June 2014 (2).pdf

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 2

So a faulty statement on a website supports your claim?

Show a link to the law, which is going to be difficult as there isn't one.

I know people who come quite a bit more than that, they do stay for a limited time though.

Edited by FritsSikkink

Why is this misinformation thread allowed to continue? The only links shown are to another forum site and an agents site and many false stories about visa exempt limits by air, maximum of 6 visa exempt entries per year or 180 days maximum stay in a year. This thread had all the false news in it claimed as fact 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dauu said:

The statement you quoted appears in this update from one of the US consulates, it refers to a government meeting late last year so up to date rather than old.

Historically the has been a difference of opinion between the info from Siam Legal sites and other sites that refer to the bilateral agreement with no limitation by air. I think there has always been a bit of confusion over the visa exemption scheme that apllies to the "majority" and bilateral agreements, but the table in this update indicates a distinct separation.

On the basis that the 4 countries mentioned in the OP have been singled out from the rest of the "majority", I would suggest that it can be taken as the current requirement.

The 4 countries in question have a bilateral agreement on diplomatic passports which may well have been extended to ordinary passports.

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-exemption-and-visa-on-arrival-to-thailand

Enforcement however is another matter entirely and many will contine to take their chances.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

That website is well known for having incorrect or out of date info. And their name is a blatant attempt to make people think it is an official government website.

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Are you sure its even a law?  

depends which 'Law' you're referring to:

The one on the statute books

or

the one that they would like to be there/or have just dreamt up

(quite a worldwide phenomenon with uniform folk - though endemic in Thailand)

Edited by Regyai

Something is going on, I know someone who has just been refused travel from UK (airline supposed to have contacted Bangkok immigration to confirm) having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year. Below from London embassy site. The first line says only 2 entries per year with no explanation but then further down it sepecifies by land and sea.

Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme

UK ordinary passport holders can travel to Thailand without visa for no longer than 30 days (maximum 2 times/year).

All UK travel documents (Refugee/Emergency) must apply for the visa before traveling to Thailand.

- Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Visa Exemption scheme are required at the port of entry to have proof of planned travel (confirmed air, train, bus, or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date. Otherwise, a visa must be obtained before entering Thailand.

- For traveling to Thailand by land and sea, UK ordinary passport holders are eligible for Visa Exemption Scheme with a maximum of twice in a calendar year. 

going on, I know someone who has been refused travel from UK having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, iian23 said:

Something is going on, I know someone who has just been refused travel from UK (airline supposed to have contacted Bangkok immigration to confirm) having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year. Below from London embassy site. The first line says only 2 entries per year with no explanation but then further down it sepecifies by land and sea

Read the thread.

The information you posted is incorrect. 

Along with the reference to "friend" that entered TWICE last year using visa exempt.

You stated ....

"going on, I know someone who has been refused travel from UK having  travelled on exempt 2 times in the last year." 

That is nonsense. 

If refused "travel from Uk" it would possibly be issue of boarding pass with no onward flight. 

• Agree 2