Non o immigration visa Thai wife

1 hour ago, wood78 said:

Only making reference to this single occasion, who knows what the future holds, I don't, do you ?

Yours is rather an unusual case I suspect, if it was solely to highlight the potential pitfalls in repatriating money then perhaps the topic title needn't have references your visa.

I think the vast majority of those on a non O marriage extension bring the money over and either leave it on deposit, or spend it through the year. Unless you're very lucky with favourable fluctuations in exchange rate you'll simple lose money coming in and lose money going out.

As for knowing the future I would presume, seeing as your original post stated an intention to make Thailand your home, you're going to have to go through this rigmarole again in 12 months which strikes me, personally, as plain bonkers. But each to their own, I would suggest you try Dee Money to repatriate your money.

Edited by Stocky

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Yours is rather an unusual case I suspect, if it was solely to highlight the potential pitfalls in repatriating money then perhaps the topic title needn't have references your visa.

I think the vast majority of those on a non O marriage extension bring the money over and either leave it on deposit, or spend it through the year. Unless you're very lucky with favourable fluctuations in exchange rate you'll simple lose money coming in and lose money going out.

As for knowing the future I would presume, seeing as your original post stated an intention to make Thailand your home, you're going to have to go through this rigmarole again in 12 months which strikes me, personally, as plain bonkers. But each to their own, I would suggest you try Dee Money to repatriate your money.

I suspect, I think, I presume..... Your experiences only....

I reiterate, the OP was to alert those without experience, for the likelihood of having to expect further complications, that "may" need to be considered....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wood78 said:

I suspect, I think, I presume..... Your experiences only....

I reiterate, the OP was to alert those without experience, for the likelihood of having to expect further complications, that "may" need to be considered....

Whatever, as said this would be better in the banking section rather than visas, as it has absolutely nothing to do with your extension which was granted, your issue is with the bank not immigration.

I have been returning to my home country annually for a new spouse visa - not an extension. All I produce at consulate- general is application, proof of marriage, letter from the wife, passport and pay the fee. No bank account details required. The Embassy in each country must abide by the basic rules and may apply additional rules - this even applies now that you can get an electronic visa. In my home country the Embassy applies the basic rules only.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, wood78 said:

The essence of my OP was to warn all prospective non imm o's that due to the new "rules" monies in does not necessarily mean monies out - so be prepared for this scenario.

Nothing "new", the Thai baht has been a restricted currency for long enough. It is subject to currency control regulations and it can be very difficult to get a Thai bank to remit THB to an overseas bank. 

There are other options that can be considered.

I think that 'sandyf' nailed it.

OP was trying to be an AN Forum hero by warning noobs about the difficulty of repatriating foreign currency transfers -- an issue which long-time expats here know much about.

Then, mistake #2, he got defensive, referring to himself in the 3rd person saying "OP was merely trying..."

Word to the wise:  Do not try to educate this erudite forum of know-bees.

On 4/22/2024 at 1:15 PM, wood78 said:

...Went to send the same money back to the original EU account and was met with a brick wall...

Can not do, not allowed.

Major word of warning, be prepared to have the money stuck in Thailand, no recourse to this.

You have been warned....

Money has left my Thai account and has not been returned  yet €10,000.

I see some contradiction here.

1. money stuck in Thailand

2. Money has left my Thai account

If the money is no longer in your Thai account, where exactly is it stuck in Thailand?

10 hours ago, TaoNow said:

...referring to himself in the 3rd person saying "OP was merely trying..."

Just for the record, not to make a point regarding the issue of this topic: the acronym OP is regularly used on this forum to mean either of the following:

1. "the opening post", ie the post with which the topic was started

2. "the original poster", ie the person who started the topic

On 4/22/2024 at 4:16 PM, stoner said:

i just returned to canada last week. may not see my wife for months. came home to look after my parents and take care of things for them at their house. 

seems in this thread alone 2 of us are in a situation where our wife can handle things while we are away. 

I would spend the money in Thai bank until i have reached 200,000 baht and send more as needed.Your money in your home country will no doubt probably earn more interest in your home country than Thailand.