How to retire in Thailand

On 9/28/2024 at 9:47 AM, JimTripper said:

My point is, that many of these guys who live in the shoebox rooms use denial as a waybof coping with the situation. Trying to trick their mind into being happy with it.

Sounds like someone trying to "cope with" / "trick their mind" into thinking other people find satisfaction in the same things - and push up their ego by feeling superior.

I've lived big/small, high/low floors, etc - here and my home-country - and it never made a difference to me.  Any "improvements" on such superficialities were only EVER made to satisfy a woman's desires.

Are there "must haves"?   Fresh-air is a must.  A sea-view, and can walk to the ocean is nice.  Bangkok is a fun place to live, but the air-quality and heat-island effect (hot all night) are not to my taste.  YMMV.

The most important thing is what occupies my time / mind, and who with.  If THOSE suck, so does everything else. 

Every year of my life wasted doing things I didn't enjoy for money was a waste of life - aside from saving to quit for good - and I definitely would advise anyone NOT to waste more of their irreplaceable and unknown-quantity life-years to have a "bigger room." 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Sounds like someone trying to "cope with" / "trick their mind" into thinking other people find satisfaction in the same things - and push up their ego by feeling superior.

They guys I have heard talk about it don't seem to care what other people think at all. When the subject came up they just say it's great and are unwilling to accept any possible negatives, including walking away if I persisted. It's not about convincing other people a small ratty room or crappy building is great.

I can give Nirun in Pattaya as an example. With guys getting drunk down at those corner bars. One mention of the living situation and it's all hunky dory with no drawbacks whatsoever (even though everyone knows those rooms suck and that building sucks).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1