The pandemic cost 7 million lives, but talks to prevent a repeat stall

Screenshot_5.jpg.2df1e2ce4b5f77f8e90b68e6cf4181ec.jpg

In late 2021, as the world reeled from the arrival of the highly contagious omicron variant of the coronavirus, representatives of almost 200 countries met — some online, some in-person in Geneva — hoping to forestall a future worldwide outbreak by developing the first-ever global pandemic accord.

The deadline for a deal? May 2024.

But even as negotiators pack in extra hours, the goal of clinching a legally binding pact by next month is far from certain — despite a new draft document being delivered in recent days. The main sticking point involves access to vital information about new threats that may emerge — and to the vaccines and medicines that could contain that threat.

(more)

https://archive.ph/kkGmp

Screenshot_1.jpg.d545b4d579b78d0f6eabfe0bf84bcd2c.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The 7 million COVID deaths number is the official tally based on all the official COVID deaths reported by all the various countries/governments around the world since the beginning of the pandemic, which have been tracked and totaled by the WHO. Other private groups have tallied comparable totals from the same reports.

Those are widely considered a major undercount to what the actual likely totals of COVID deaths have been, which have been estimated by multiple sources to be several times higher, into the 20+ million range.

Screenshot_1.jpg.ff296eca59ddf716e89c941864f3ebf2.jpg

https://data.who.int/dashboards/covid19/deaths?n=c

And then... as to the larger estimates:

"The Economist built a machine-learning model to estimate the number of excess deaths during the pandemic for 223 countries and regions.20 From these country-level estimates they calculate a global figure.

Globally, the model estimates that the total number of excess deaths is two to four times higher than the reported number of confirmed deaths due to COVID-19.21

Screenshot_2.jpg.b2ad5bddd28dd0a1abf2ca3dc0148f2e.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid#estimated-excess-mortality-from-the-economist

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

The Covid virus caught everyone by surprise, so how was the Covid virus vaccine readilly so soon.

Because the U.S. government and others starting back in 2020, faced with an emerging worldwide pandemic, spent a ton of money to support and advance pre-existing mRNA vaccine research by the pharmaceutical firms and others, and to adapt that to the then-newly emerged COVID virus, and in doing so, substantially reduced COVID's toll of death and illness around the world.

"The US government invested at least $31.9bn to develop, produce, and purchase mRNA covid-19 vaccines, including sizeable investments in the three decades before the pandemic through March 2022. These public investments translated into millions of lives saved and were crucial in developing the mRNA vaccine technology that also has the potential to tackle future pandemics and to treat diseases beyond covid-19."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9975718/

US public investment in development of mRNA covid-19 vaccines: retrospective cohort study

The British Medical Journal (BMJ) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody imagined covid was going to happen.  They probably don't think a second one will happen.  Countries that might allow one probably don't want to sign any accord saying that they have to do xyz.

It would probably be better to think about how to prevent something similar.  Some sort of register for medical experiments, similar to nuclear treaties.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posts making unsourced, unsubstantiated, trolling and off-topic claims have been removed.

See the following forum rules that include:

"In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source."

and

"10. You will not post troll messages."

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Nobody imagined covid was going to happen.  They probably don't think a second one will happen. 

Actually, they did before COVID, and they do now for the next one/future pandemic as well. The public health community is always spending a lot of time and energy looking at what might come next.

For the future:

Next pandemic likely to be caused by flu virus, scientists warn

Influenza is still the biggest threat to global health as WHO raises fears about the spread of avian strain

20 Apr 2024

Influenza is the pathogen most likely to trigger a new pandemic in the near future, according to leading scientists.

An international survey, to be published next weekend, will reveal that 57% of senior disease experts now think that a strain of flu virus will be the cause of the next global outbreak of deadly infectious illness.

Indeed, some scientists still believe Sars-CoV-2 remains a threat, with 15% of the scientists surveyed in the study rating it their most likely cause of a pandemic in the near future.

(more)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/20/next-pandemic-likely-to-be-caused-by-flu-virus-scientists-warn

And for the past prior to COVID:

Experts predicted a coronavirus pandemic years ago. Now it’s playing out before our eyes

September 8, 2020

(CNN)  —   In 2017, a team of experts at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security published a scenario as part of a training exercise that they believed could happen in the not-so-distant future.

The SPARS Pandemic Scenario

The year is 2025.

A few American travelers returning from Asia die of an unknown, influenza-like illness. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms the victims were infected with a novel coronavirus, SPARS-CoV.

Nothing is known about this novel coronavirus. There is no rapid diagnostic test. There are no known treatments. And there is no vaccine.

(more)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-pandemic-training-scenario/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

A conspiracy theory post has been removed, along with a post of unsourced and unsubstantiated claims.

Per the local rules for this subforum:

"A forum dedicated to information and discussion of COVID-19 topics. This forum is not for conspiracy theories or any form of political discussion."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2024 at 9:32 AM, Longwood50 said:

The result.  Covid was just like any other infectious disease.  Some people will get it, others will not. Some will have severe health complications from it, others wont'  But now the media is silent.  I guess it is a good thing we shut the economies of the world down for two years and bankrupted millions of businesses and people to end up exactly where we were pre-covid.   

No. That is incorrect. We began with a much more dangerous strain of covid and no vaccine. Now we have a much weaker strain and a vaccine. So we can behave differently.

Please don't pretend that the situation now is the same as at the beginning. That is dishonest.

18 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

The crazy part to me has been, all the hysteria all those years, and currently covid still exists, but the hysteria disappeared. People swallowed all the fear hook line and sinker

Why is that crazy? The covid strain around now is much weaker and we have a vaccine. Of course people are going to be less scared.

Please stop being dishonest.

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I had the original COVID, it was no worse than the flu.

I had double vaccination, it didn't appear to have any adverse effects.

I had COVID again, it was no worse than the flu.

The vaccine made no difference to my body as far as I can tell, it appears to me to be worthless, so I won't be having another COVID vaccine.

I have no problems with you all participating in medical trials by big pharma, that's your personal choice, but you won't convince me or shame me into participating a second time.

So everyone's experience with Covid must be the same as yours..............🤣

You can't make this sh_t up..........:omfg:

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

You just solved your own riddle. Imagine it, you think censorship is on equal footing with someone stating their position. This is how all the most brutal regimes in history began. 

Stating one's position is not the same as lying. You weren't stating your position, you were lying (unless you made a mistake, which I doubt). And you seem to be doing it again.

7 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Censorship is not only never the answer, the people doing the censoring have always, without exception, been proven to be wrong. 

Lying is never the answer either. Please stop.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the talks are going to continue:

Ninth meeting of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Body (INB) for a WHO instrument on pandemic prevention, preparedness and response – resumed

29 April – 10 May 2024

"In December 2021, the World Health Assembly established an Intergovernmental Negotiating Body (INB) to draft and negotiate a convention, agreement or other international instrument under the Constitution of the World Health Organization to strengthen pandemic prevention, preparedness and response.

The resumed ninth meeting of the INB is to be held in hybrid format from 29 April to 10 May 2024. INB9, resumed, is the final negotiating session to agree a new pandemic instrument.

Representatives of WHO’s 194 Member States are expected to attend and, in the words of Dr Precious Matsoso, Co-Chair of the INB Bureau: “There is clear recognition from governments that the goal of a pandemic agreement is to prepare the world for preventing and responding to future pandemics, built on consensus, solidarity and equity. These goals must remain our North Star as we move toward the finalization of this historic, pressing commitment for the world. We know that if we fail, we will be failing humanity, including all those who suffered from COVID-19, and those at risk of future pandemics.”

https://www.who.int/news-room/events/detail/2024/04/29/default-calendar/ninth-meeting-of-the-intergovernmental-negotiating-body-(inb)-for-a-who-instrument-on-pandemic-prevention-preparedness-and-response-resumed

On 4/26/2024 at 4:38 PM, BritManToo said:

I had the original COVID, it was no worse than the flu.

I had double vaccination, it didn't appear to have any adverse effects.

I had COVID again, it was no worse than the flu.

I had nothing and didn't get the mRNA 'therapy' and I went to a gym every day with no towel usage and without any 'vaccine' passports and then went online and people were going insane...

Edited by stats
trolling comment removed
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1