Video Shows Taxi Striking Pedestrian at Bangkok Crosswalk: Public Outcry Ignites Debate

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sure.... Your individual experience outweighs generalisation...    :whistling:

Yes, cos funnily enough, these kinds of "generlizations" are mostly <deleted>, and I have a lot of experience of Thai people being helpful to me, when they didn't need to. 

Now if you want to talk about actual plausible reasons, such as lack of training, lack of ongoing driver education, and lack of enforcement, then we are talking about reality, and not this circles rubbish 

Edited by PremiumLane

10 hours ago, mancub said:

They're the good-hearted ones ( of which there are many) who dare to think/act outside of the norm. 

which makes that whole circle thing a load of crap, and I am sure they are doing just fine thinking and acting outside this norm 

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

Yes, cos funnily enough, these kinds of "generlizations" are mostly <deleted>, and I have a lot of experience of Thai people being helpful to me, when they didn't need to. 

Congratulations... some people are nice to you....     me too....    nevertheless, the generalisation of 'The Three Circles Of Thai Culture'  is a thing and one of the times its most observable is when trying to cross a road....  

- If a driver recognised the person crossing the road as family, or closest friends - he'd brake hard.

- If a driver recognised the person as a co-worker or acquaintance - he'd brake hard.

- If a driver didn't recognise the person crossing the road, they'd not care for their welfare at all, braking is an effort, the pedestrian had better get out of the way.

Its harsh - but thats the way a lot of people drive here - every stranger is in that 3rd circle - if that wasn't true, everyone would brake hard like it was their favourite granny crossing the road - but the reality is, only some give way to pedestrians, probably the same types of character you describe who are nice to you.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:51 PM, mancub said:
On 4/24/2024 at 3:20 PM, snoop1130 said:

This medical report will be crucial in ensuring that the correct legal steps are taken.

Excuse me. but Why ?

Obviously because the severity of his injuries will affect the charges against the driver.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:01 PM, MangoKorat said:

Again, down to the police and their total lack of enforcement.  Repeating myself but anyone familiar with the crossing at Nana? The intersection between Sukhumvit Road and Soi's 3 & 4?

I was hit there a few years back, a foreign couple were killed there,  there is a 'green man' light and the traffic, mainly taxis, ignore it all day long, right in front of a manned police box. What really got to me was that in my case, the copper did actually come out of his box, not to assist me - he wanted to arrest me for dragging the taxi driver out of his car!! Not a word said to the taxi driver.

One could ask why there is a 'public outcry' about this incident when the same probably happens scores of times every day in Bangkok - its par for the course.

As above in part of my post which no one seems to understand 

• Do not assume that a green traffic signal means you can cross the road safely. Look right and left to check that all vehicles have come to a stop, as not every driver will obey the rules.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously because the severity of his injuries will affect the charges against the driver.

I know how it works. I question why.

The charges should not reflect the medical report. The charges should reflect the action, in this case endangering life by running the red light at a pedestrian crossing. The sentencing, however. might then reflect the consequences of the action etc.

6 hours ago, mancub said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know how it works. I question why.

The charges should not reflect the medical report. The charges should reflect the action

The charges certainly should reflect the severity of his injuries and the seriousness of his injuries reflect the driver's actions.

• Confused 1